News: Bob Sturm: Why I was so wrong about Cowboys coach Jason Garrett

Status
Not open for further replies.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know people hate to hear it, but Jason Garrett's 8-8 seasons are not indicative of what he's been trying to accomplish. The social media, millenial, "instagram" society we live in now is all about instant gratification. I prefer the Garrett model of building a culture and organization that can endure and compete perennially rather than be a flash in the pan and gone from existence like the Arizona Cardinals of a few years ago or any other one-and-done hot team in the past.
:clap:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
couple of years of great draft picks by the joneses? there is a long history of jones picking players when he had the wrong coaches in place and really ran the draft and the years he had strong coaching influencing him. do you really want me to outline that history for you?

incredible play of the OL that garrett built

garrett built the OL and does all the drafting and hires all the coaches, is all in your mind.
It is a group effort not any one guy.
The jones also hired garret, unless garrett hired himself lol .,
They made him HC, and the stuck with him.
Giving JG all the credit for things you like is not realistic.
Then of course anything you dont like is jerry did that .

jerry used to do it all, now it is a group effort and that is why it is better.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Garrett has improved tremendously as a head coach, I don't see how anybody can say he has not. However, lets not forget that he has made some horrible game day decisions that directly caused us to lose games. Even Jerry admitted this with his "Garrett in training" comment as well as saying one of the reasons he was not going to fire Garrett was because he did not want another team to get the benefits of the "growing pains" that we had to go through while Garrett was learning how to coach.

So yes, Garrett has improved tremendously because we were losing at least 2 games a year due to his coaching blunders during the 8-8 sagas. Hopefully those days are over.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Nuance. Lost on you. Just like was stated on page two.

Sorry Catch. I know you're a fan of the team, but you're just not big picture. Not a leader.

But you can get there. Some of us can help you -- but I warn you . . . it's a process.

"It's a process.":lmao:

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
so all these garrett haters have to cling on is running game. in a game that's more and more passing and rules changed to promote passing. NE lives on passing game. NO the same. most of the top rushing teams in the league stay home and watch playoffs.

but if that's all you got to cling to. then by all means do, because you are falling faster than you can imagine.
Romo & Garrett probably tops in passing offense as a duo in any 10 year span of there entire career together.

Statologist...get some.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
I think there are many truths here, but I think Parcells likes to build things up. He doesn't like to just stick around and ride it out. The challenge for him is taking something that's dreadful and then walking away to the next project, for better or for worse.

He left the Cowboys with a pretty good foundation of building blocks when he left (albeit a questionable transition to the 3-4 defense). He had no control over the next staff to be hired. Unfortunately, Jerry & Co. whiffed on Wade Phillips, but were fortunate enough to find someone with the stomach to build and hopefully stick around and ride it out in Jason Garrett.

I know people hate to hear it, but Jason Garrett's 8-8 seasons are not indicative of what he's been trying to accomplish. The social media, millenial, "instagram" society we live in now is all about instant gratification. I prefer the Garrett model of building a culture and organization that can endure and compete perennially rather than be a flash in the pan and gone from existence like the Arizona Cardinals of a few years ago or any other one-and-done hot team in the past.

All of the Super Bowl champions recently have built up their organizations on certain principles or beliefs and then got the right guy in charge to get the employees to buy in. Seattle, New England, New York, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis. All teams with one voice from the front office to the coach to the players. We've finally got the right combination of that, and ALL of those teams took a while to get where they are. Don't pretend that Sean Payton got to New Orleans or Pete Carroll got to Seattle and it was all 12-4 and deep playoff runs from day one.
:clap:

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
If we come out with a dynamic passing attack i'll back off of Garrett.

As long as I see us being so basic and Romo dependent then i'm not changing my opinion.

How are we going to have a dynamic passing attack without being Romo dependent?

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I don't know why im even in this thread to be honest so i'll just leave you with this.

Garrett sucks and the only reason he is here is because of Jerry. If not for Jerry he'd be some teams assistant QB coach.

Also, Wade Phillips would probably have a Superbowl because he wouldn't have been hindered by the red one.

I really do hope Garrett keeps giving you suckers a leg to stand on though so you can finally have something to point to instead of his inability to be a positive factor during games.

12-4, padding stats, okay.

gmoney112

Reaction score
12-4, padding stats, okay.

I love Catch17's argument of how this team after the Wade Phillips era with: a terrible salary cap situation, aging veterans at every critical position, an atmosphere of laziness and a team that'd gladly give up (See: Green Bay), and a recent history of below average drafting to a team that's one of the youngest in the league, has the youngest and arguably the most dominant OL in the league, a completely revamped defense that 2 seasons ago probably had the most separate front 7 players start in a game in the history of the NFL, a very high level of young talent infusion within the last 2-3 years, and a draft methodology that involves getting high production from 3-4 round picks and contributors even later in the draft. All without the credit of the Head Coach.

It's basically the equivalent of scoring a perfect game in Tetris without moving a piece.

waving monkey

Reaction score
The jump from 12-4 from 8-8 was quite obvious the reasons:

1. The Run Game. Garrett got kicked to the curb and no longer could call plays on offense. Linehan came in, and although Garrett has been preaching running game for 4 years, Linehan did what it took to implement it, stick with it, and not wuss out every week.

2. Marianelli started to make a difference with the D

3. A couple years of great drafting by the Joneses and Will Clay began to take hold on the roster

4. Romos health and the incredible play of the Oline

10. Garrett was able to ONLY do what he actually does well. Which is be the likeable, walkaround, politician that he is. (This is really stretching it, but I wanted to put in some kind of mild credit to Garrett for those of you that adore him)

How goes your world livin in hate

StevenOtero

Reaction score
I love Catch17's argument of how this team after the Wade Phillips era with: a terrible salary cap situation, aging veterans at every critical position, an atmosphere of laziness and a team that'd gladly give up (See: Green Bay), and a recent history of below average drafting to a team that's one of the youngest in the league, has the youngest and arguably the most dominant OL in the league, a completely revamped defense that 2 seasons ago probably had the most separate front 7 players start in a game in the history of the NFL, a very high level of young talent infusion within the last 2-3 years, and a draft methodology that involves getting high production from 3-4 round picks and contributors even later in the draft. All without the credit of the Head Coach.

It's basically the equivalent of scoring a perfect game in Tetris without moving a piece.

#GotEmmm

Good post man.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

I love how you Garrett homers try to act and pretend like we didn't choke away playoff chances.

Heck, the year before last was one of the more epic meltdowns I've seen.

Blaming the salary cap..lol.. We still had a equal or better roster to what was in our division and a waaaaaaay better QB. We constantly just got pimp slapped by good coaching.

Youre really going to act like poor little Jason just had no talent.

The clown wouldn't even run the ball and put more pressure on a bad oline by not doing anything to protect them.

So glad Jerry leg dropped him when he wanted to remain O Coordinator.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I love how you Garrett homers try to act and pretend like we didn't choke away playoff chances.

Blaming the salary cap..lol.. We still had a equal or better roster to what was in our division and a waaaaaaay better QB. We constantly just got pimp slapped by good coaching.

The clown wouldn't even run the ball and put more pressure on a bad oline by not doing anything to protect them.

You're right. Our roster was definitely equal or better to what was in our division.

I mean how couldn't it be with David Carter, Jerome Long, Jason Vega, Landon Cohen, Marvin Austin. Frank Kearse, Jarius Wynn, Everette Brown, Ernie Sims, Micah Pellerin, Jeff Heath, Caesar Rayford and the rest of the gang contributing on defense?

Frankly, I think it's unforgivable that we didn't go 16-0.

erod

Reaction score
Not to ruin the coronation but what exactly does this mean?

It means that if Garrett didn't handle Jerry with such patience and respect, McClay and Stephen wouldn't have been given the reins.

erod

Reaction score

Worst statistical defense in Cowboys history. Try again.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Worst statistical defense in Cowboys history. Try again.

We had the Division won after we beat Philly at Philly.. All we had to do was not screw it up and we did.

Also, our defense sucked last year. We just managed games 10 times better because Captain suck wasn't coaching the offense anymore.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You mean signing guys off the street and playing them the next Sunday isn't the way to build a team?

I mean signing Linehan and working to keep the defense off the field as opposed to being last in the NFL in attempted runs and whatever rushing stat you can find.

The defense was garbage last year too but we went 12-4 because we actually attempted to control the ball.

black label

Reaction score
Please.

There is no mention of Linehan or Marinelli taking the reigns in 2014, this should not be played down and they didn't even come up in that article.

Eddie_the_Ref_Touchdown.gif

Reactions: BAZ
Status
Not open for further replies.