Bobbie Carpenter on ESPN 1st and 10 wearing hair in a bun

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2476489 said:
I rarely dislike players and certainly don't *hate* them unless maybe when they are criminals or idiots or don't put forth effort... But I really dislike Carpenter.

And hey, I admit it: I thought he'd be a good player from what I saw of him at Ohio State. It's just hard to believe he turned out to be as soft as he is.

Amazing really...doesn't even seem like the same player.

Like we got the Impostor.

Pathetic.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
TheCount;2476421 said:
I see what you did there. :rolleyes:

My problem with Parcells has never been about his skills as a talent evaluator, he knows what he's doing there. My problem is when he lets his personal feelings into that process, he drafted Carpenter and Fasano not because they were great players or would fit our system, but for personal reasons, and they were both sub par, not worthy of the position they were drafted.

I'd take Parcells as a GM right this second, but that's obviously never going to happen.

To be fair, many posters wanted Carpenter and he was slated as a 1st round pick, although I do agree he was drafted because his dad played for the Tuna. Drafting Fasano in the 2nd was a joke though. That was simply because he was a Jersey kid from ND who was coached by a Parcells apprentis.

I watch Big10 football all the time, and I am proud to say that from day one I didnt want Bobby and pretty much said he is soft, got attention from playing beside AJ Hawk, and that he wont amount to much. I'm hardly a scout, but I'll call it getting lucky.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;2476568 said:
Amazing really...doesn't even seem like the same player.

Like we got the Impostor.

Pathetic.

I wonder if his broken leg as a senior is what made him afraid of contact. Maybe it was the first time he ever got seriously injured or broke a major bone, and he's never mentally recovered. He certainly wasn't a soft player at Ohio State.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
TheCount;2476421 said:
I see what you did there. :rolleyes:

My problem with Parcells has never been about his skills as a talent evaluator, he knows what he's doing there. My problem is when he lets his personal feelings into that process, he drafted Carpenter and Fasano not because they were great players or would fit our system, but for personal reasons, and they were both sub par, not worthy of the position they were drafted.

I'd take Parcells as a GM right this second, but that's obviously never going to happen.

Isn't that why he drafted Ware and Barber though? Because he knew the history of Barbers dad and Ware was the type of linebacker he had with the Giants?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2476591 said:
To be fair, many posters wanted Carpenter and he was slated as a 1st round pick, although I do agree he was drafted because his dad played for the Tuna. Drafting Fasano in the 2nd was a joke though. That was simply because he was a Jersey kid from ND who was coached by a Parcells apprentis.

I watch Big10 football all the time, and I am proud to say that from day one I didnt want Bobby and pretty much said he is soft, got attention from playing beside AJ Hawk, and that he wont amount to much. I'm hardly a scout, but I'll call it getting lucky.

Like you said though everyone had Carpenter at 15th. You miss on picks. Look at all those teams that missed in that round lol. But Parcells made up for it plus some drafting guys like Bradie James, Ratliff and Barber in later rounds. He should never draft a player from Notre Dame. I don't care what position he plays.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
rocyaice;2476640 said:
Isn't that why he drafted Ware and Barber though? Because he knew the history of Barbers dad and Ware was the type of linebacker he had with the Giants?

I'm pretty sure you can tell the difference between those four selections.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
TheCount;2476651 said:
I'm pretty sure you can tell the difference between those four selections.

Yea but my point is I don't think drafting because of prior history is something Parcells made a exception for with Fasano and Carpenter. He's been doing it. So I wouldn't consider it a problem of his. He just missed out those guys.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
rocyaice;2476659 said:
Yea but my point is I don't think drafting because of prior history is something Parcells made a exception for with Fasano and Carpenter. He's been doing it. So I wouldn't consider it a problem of his. He just missed out those guys.

Hard to say he missed on fasano.

I would swap fasano for curtis right now in a heartbeat.

It sure would be nice to have Witten, Bennett and fasano.

Fasano could get lined up right, curtis cant even do that right now.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The question is, why is Carp on ESPN anyhow? Because the rest of the team would respond to their questions with "Next question."?

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2476625 said:
I wonder if his broken leg as a senior is what made him afraid of contact. Maybe it was the first time he ever got seriously injured or broke a major bone, and he's never mentally recovered. He certainly wasn't a soft player at Ohio State.

No he wasn't...which makes it even that more perplexing.

Who knows...maybe it was the injury.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2476625 said:

ConcordCowboy;2476711 said:
No he wasn't...which makes it even that more perplexing.

Sounds like a confidence problem. A lack of confidence generally causes players to play timid. Carp plays timid.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Seems to me Dallas has not had very good luck drafting guys with girly names.

Peppi Zellner, Shante Carver, Kavika Pittman, Courtney Brown, Bobbie Carpenter....

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
theebs;2476674 said:

Fasano couldn't block worth a crap here. I like where we're at with our tight ends. Curtis has solid hands. Can't ask much more from a 3rd TE.

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
this guy was the best possible pick for us at the time

reasons:

1) his long hair was a tribute to Pat Tillman
2) Purcells knew his dad

those aren't my reasons, those were like half this board's idiotic reasoning, but still.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
rocyaice;2476659 said:

It's not just the players but where they were taken, it's all old history now so it doesn't really matter but when you allow your personal feelings to affect how you spend a 1st and 2nd rounder, you're making a mistake.

theebs;2476674 said:

Saying you would swap an undrafted TE for a 2nd round TE to be your 3rd TE isn't saying much.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
TheCount;2476747 said:
It's not just the players but where they were taken, it's all old history now so it doesn't really matter but when you allow your personal feelings to affect how you spend a 1st and 2nd rounder, you're making a mistake.

Saying you would swap an undrafted TE for a 2nd round TE to be your 3rd TE isn't saying much.

But that is what the organization did. They said curtis is better than fasano and just gave him away.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
theebs;2476752 said:
But that is what the organization did. They said curtis is better than fasano and just gave him away.

I don't want to go over this all over again but it's pretty clear right now Bennett has more potential than Fasano ever had and we had a pretty good draft, so I can't complain.

I, like you, was not very happy with the compensation we got for Fasano either. Especially since we traded him to the guy who stuck us with him in the first place.

But if we had kept Fasano, we probably wouldn't have drafted Martellus anyway.