Bobby Carpenter and Manny Lawson Visits

doomsday81

Reaction score
Just an FYI, Carpenter has set up official visits with the Cowboys, Patriots, Browns and Eagles.

Manny Lawson has set up visits with the Cowboys, Browns, Eagles and Dolphins.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
I'm glad we have our focus on those two, but the browns scare me as a team that can disrupt our draft plans. I don't see Miami going after a LB in the first round, but if Lawson or Carpenter is gone before it is our turn to draft and the Browns have not picked yet, then we might want to attempt a trade down. I believe that Everything has been set up so far in this off season to go after another first round OLB and a FS in round 2 or 3. Not getting the right OLB in round 1 could be catastrophic to the teams off-season goals.

Special thanks for all the updates doomsday81. You have proven yourself as a legit informer, and also thanks for letting us in on the Owens deal that you got a tip on at the combines.

ddh33

Reaction score
I like to see Dallas looking at these types of players. With another good linebacker to play opposite Ware, and a safety who won't get beat deep, this defense starts to look awfully scary...

I'm also interested in bringing in another NT type though. I actually have confidence in Jason Ferguson, unlike some, but I would like to have a little more depth at such a key position.

cleverusername

Reaction score
WilmingtonHeel said:
Cool we trade down in the first and select whomever is highest on the board

I think this is our best bet, But it might be nice to pick up a serviceable OLB in free agency ( before or after the draft), so we can let the rookie develop if need be. I really like both of these guys, but I don't know if its a good thing that we have visits scheduled. i hate it when a draftee visits because it seems like in years past we end up taking a lot of the guys that dont. I think jerry and bill like to set up smoke screens at times.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
doomsday81 said:
Just an FYI, Carpenter has set up official visits with the Cowboys, Patriots, Browns and Eagles.

Manny Lawson has set up visits with the Cowboys, Browns, Eagles and Dolphins.
My favorite poster is back, I'm getting my popcorn!

doomsday81

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
My favorite poster is back, I'm getting my popcorn!

You better. Like my main man said, it's going to be a show. By the way, I love how Eagles fans are trying to say this is a bad thing for the Cowboys like they really believe it. Let us know how that works out for you when the Eagles play the Cowboys next year. It's a lot of fun trying to cover T.O. Just ask the Cowboys. I guess it all evens out though. I mean, Dallas has to worry about Todd Pinkston. I saw him make a big play.............once. :lmao:

aikemirv

Reaction score
Did we have Ware or Spears in for a visit at all last year?

dwmyers

Reaction score
jdub2k4 said:
I'm glad we have our focus on those two, but the browns scare me as a team that can disrupt our draft plans. I don't see Miami going after a LB in the first round, but if Lawson or Carpenter is gone before it is our turn to draft and the Browns have not picked yet..

That would require a major run on linebackers, as the Browns pick 12th. 4 of the top 11 picks would have to be linebackers, because A. J. Hawk, Chad Greenway, and DeMeco Ryans are going before Lawson and/or Carpenter.

Let's see: Leinart, Young, Reggie Bush, Ferguson, Cutler, Vernon Davis, Ngata, Mario Williams, Huff. I've just named 9 possible top 10s off the top of my head and I haven't landed on a LB yet. And -if- a run on LBs happen, someone otherwise considered top 15 will fall.

David.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
How about dropping down a few spots and drafting Thomas Howard from UTEP, I've herad he can both rush the passer and cover and since he played LB in college not DL like Lawson he should help right away.

doomsday81

Reaction score
dwmyers said:
That would require a major run on linebackers, as the Browns pick 12th. 4 of the top 11 picks would have to be linebackers, because A. J. Hawk, Chad Greenway, and DeMeco Ryans are going before Lawson and/or Carpenter.

Let's see: Leinart, Young, Reggie Bush, Ferguson, Cutler, Vernon Davis, Ngata, Mario Williams, Huff. I've just named 9 possible top 10s off the top of my head and I haven't landed on a LB yet. And -if- a run on LBs happen, someone otherwise considered top 15 will fall.

David.

I wouldn't say that for sure. A lot of people I've talked to say Greenway is sliding down draft boards and I watched him on film and was not impressed at all. Ryans needs to be in a particular system - like the Bucs or Colts - because of his size. I would say right now Carpenter and Lawson are shooting up and Greenway and Ryans are going down from the people I've talked to. Ryans not so much because of his talent but just because he isn't big enough to play in everyone's system. Greenway, however, could be the guy who slips the most come draft day. I have a 12 minute "highlight" film on him and didn't see him shed one block during the entire time. I talked to someone from the Browns at the Combine and they referred to him as an "ankle biter," meaning he's always trailing the play and trips people up by the ankles. He said that can work in college but in the pros, players are just too fast and you end up being late all the time.

Carpenter, on the other hand, is one of the most impressive prospects I have broken down so far. Amazing closing speed on the quarterback. I could care less what this guy runs the 40 in. He's like Terrell Suggs from a couple of years ago. I don't need his 40 time because he can run 10-20 yards like a sprinter. Both he and Hawk were very impressive. Hawk is more complete because of the way he sheds blockers but if you are talking about coming off the edge, Carpenter is the best I've seen so far. Keep in mind, I haven't received the Manny Lawson video yet.

Manster68

Reaction score
jdub2k4 said:
I don't see Miami going after a LB in the first round.

Ooooohhhhh, I do!

I think Manny Lawson will remind them too much of Jason Taylor.