Both Belt/Broaddus believe Tyron Smith is be the Swing Tackle

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Just listening to the new love at the star podcast, they said no inside knowledge, but feel Tyron Smith is the team's new swing tackle. I don't see it that way, nor have read/heard anything suggesting he is now a backup, but that would create a huge starting need at Left Guard. My opinion, is players don't take pay cuts to sit on the bench, Tyron wouldn't off accepted the deal if he was going to become a backup when he could start elsewhere.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Just listening to the new love at the star podcast, they said no inside knowledge, but feel Tyron Smith is the team's new swing tackle. I don't see it that way, nor have read/heard anything suggesting he is now a backup, but that would create a huge starting need at Left Guard. My opinion, is players don't take pay cuts to sit on the bench, Tyron wouldn't off accepted the deal if he was going to become a backup when he could start elsewhere.
Jerry wants his money on the field.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m with you, I think both Belt and Broaddus are wrong about this. But I’m sure they’ll move on and forget all about it when Tyron is lining up as the starting LT.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I’m with you, I think both Belt and Broaddus are wrong about this. But I’m sure they’ll move on and forget all about it when Tyron is lining up as the starting LT.
I agree. If he was going to become a backup, he isn't going to be making close to 20 million if he reaches his incentives.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They aren't paying what they are paying Tyron to sit the bench, even with a paycut

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think they're paying him a minimum of 6M in 2023 plus significant incentives.

That does not seem like a swing tackle pay rate...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. If he was going to become a backup, he isn't going to be making close to 20 million if he reaches his incentives.
And the team still loves him and they always disregard his well known injury history. They always think things will be different this year. They will have him starting at left tackle until the wheels come off.

On paper, Tyron at left tackle and Tyler at left guard is a stronger duo than anyone else they could put on the field. So this organization will go with that until they can’t.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Well Broaddus gut is usually wrong. Follow the money. Unless there is an injury Tyron is the left tackle. Some Cowboys insider said on Shan and RJ show saidhe believes Tyron will be the right tackle. Then admitted he was guessing and had no inside knowledge.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Well Broaddus gut is usually wrong. Follow the money. Unless there is an injury Tyron is the left tackle. Some Cowboys insider said on Shan and RJ show saidhe believes Tyron will be the right tackle. Then admitted he was guessing and had no inside knowledge.
Heard the same thing, it was Gehlken, who is a legitimate Cowboy insider, but he also said, usually if a guy takes a pay decrease, it's not to become a backup.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
And the team still loves him and they always disregard his well known injury history. They always think things will be different this year. They will have him starting at left tackle until the wheels come off.

On paper, Tyron at left tackle and Tyler at left guard is a stronger duo than anyone else they could put on the field. So this organization will go with that until they can’t.
This is why we are seeing a lot of this late rd prospects they are showing interest with, the UCLA guy and the Penn State G/C over the weekend. It's more of a 2024 need, but they need to have a plan in place if Tyron misses time.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think they're paying him a minimum of 6M in 2023 plus significant incentives.

That does not seem like a swing tackle pay rate...
Usually a swing Tackle makes about 3 million per season. Tyron's contract can go up to his original 17 million if playing incentives, that certainly doesn't say backup to me.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is why we are seeing a lot of this late rd prospects they are showing interest with, the UCLA guy and the Penn State G/C over the weekend. It's more of a 2024 need, but they need to have a plan in place if Tyron misses time.
I think you mean when Tyron misses time.

Yeah, that’s why I expect them to draft an offensive guard between rounds 2-4. They need one in the mix, at sone point this year and certainly for next when they eventually do put Tyler at left tackle.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
They aren't paying what they are paying Tyron to sit the bench, even with a paycut
There is no doubt they need two future, starting guards, with LG being more immediate, but it's more of a 2024 need. This yr, it's more about a guy who can spot start and start just a handful amount of games.

Sydla

Reaction score
He's better than Steele. So if they start Steele and no Tyron at RT, LOL.

If everyone is healthy, Steele should be the swing OT.

Landryhat73

Reaction score
What I don’t understand about Belt & Broaddus thinking is they moved Tyler Smith to guard in the playoffs last year, only to move back once Peters went down with the hip injury.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Stop listening this this guy. Just listen to what the team says about tyron. Along as he's in a cowboys uniform he's going to start. Yes he's gotten hurt, but when he's on the field top 3 tackle in the nfl. You forget how dominant and then see it and reme,be why he's a hofer

Cowboyny

Reaction score
He's better than Steele. So if they start Steele and no Tyron at RT, LOL.

If everyone is healthy, Steele should be the swing OT.
They both will be starting with Tyler. One goes down, Tackle is covered. They just need a capable backup Guard who can spot start.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Heard the same thing, it was Gehlken, who is a legitimate Cowboy insider, but he also said, usually if a guy takes a pay decrease, it's not to become a backup.
He just seemed confused. Then he said Steele is the future right tackle. I think he did not realize that Steele is working out already.