Bottom line is Jerry has bumbled the Dak negotiations

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
@CowboyRoy Had Jerry signed Dak to a monster contract last year or the year before, you would be here ripping Jerry for flushing money down the toilet on a player who got hurt and might not be able to play this year.

Have you learned absolutely nothing from the Wentz and Goff contract debacles? On any given Sunday, there just isn’t much difference between the three. On average, they are about the same. Do you really think the GMs are like you and learned nothing about gargantuan contracts for mediocre players?

No team is offering Dak a monster contract right now. Not happening. Repeat after me: no team is offering Dak $40M/year healthy, let alone coming off a horrific leg injury where he can’t even run 5 months later. Plain common sense. Jerry is competing with no one for Dak. Let Dak go test the market and he will get no offers at his price and condition. Then Jerry and Dak can begin the negotiations.

You act like Dak didn’t even get hurt last year and the rehab is going smoothly. You have no idea.

Now you had your rant, take a deep breath, relax, and let Dak hit the open market. Jerry can always match what I other teams think of Dak.

The team will be fine even without Dak. Same as it was when Romo got hurt in 2016. Some fans cried and then rejoiced and then cried again and so it continues in the NFL.

I care about the Cowboys. I only care about Prescott because he is a Cowboy. And only if he helps the team win a SB. Dak demanding $35M+ Kills any shot of team success.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
So short of just giving a player whatever they ask for, a team has bumbled negotiations? It takes both sides saying yes to make a deal. So far, all Dak's side has said is no, even to ever increasing market value deals. The team simply asked for 1 additional year to make the deal work better under the cap until the new TV deal kicks in. Dak would not give on any issue including that one. The blame for no deal is the side continuously saying no to market value deals unless you feel players deserve anything and everything that ask for. If so, there would never be a need to negotiate. Dak and the Cowboys are in this position because Dak and his agent said No right up to the deadline.

Cowboys' offer was short on the guaranteed money relative to the other qb deals. Either they should have offered Dak the four years or went up on the guaranteed money.

Qcard

Reaction score
Lol oh now he’s ok with getting rid of Dak.

I knew some of you would start seeing things my way..

I’m owed an apology now that my opinion is mainstream enough for some of you to finally accept it.
OK, I am sorry, you have come a long way from Brad Kaaya is better than Patrick Mahomes. We will look into the children's book before we think about 2021 Qb draft prospects:facepalm:

All Kidding aside...letting Dak walk won't be a validation of your QB assessment skills or opinion and it doesn't warrant an apology. Those of us who know Dak deserves a long term contract with our Cowboys or elsewhere know IF he walks it's because Stephen Jones is proving to have NO clue how build a contender. Entrusting Stephen Jones with picking another top QB in the draft is a riskier roll of the dice.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol oh now he’s ok with getting rid of Dak.

I knew some of you would start seeing things my way..

I’m owed an apology now that my opinion is mainstream enough for some of you to finally accept it.
He didn't say he was okay with it, he was listing options. The obvious point of his post was to say (1) that Jerry bungled things, (2) the team is now boxed in with few options, and (3) simply letting Dak walk is not an option.

By the way, be careful not to strain yourself while twisting, reaching and stretching to pat yourself on the back

Last edited:

eromeopolk

Reaction score
At 40 million or 41 million per year average, were at the ridiculous point. If that is truly where we are.

Jerry could have had this wrapped up for 35 million or a little less two years ago and 35 million just last year and he blew it. So if he has to pay upwards of 40 million, then he blew it.

On the surface, it looks like Dak cares about maximizing his money. If all this salary conjecture is really true. His determination to maximize his money 3 years from now with the TV contract shows again, that we will have to do this all over again, and the numbers will be even more crazy. If the rumors are true.

Problem is we have NO other options at the moment.

Cutting Dak for nothing is just dumb. Simply cant do that. You either sign Dak 3 years and work on his replacement during that time or you trade him.

Giving away the rights to Dak is NOT an option.

Here are the options I see that make any sense:

-Sign Dak, play out the next 3 years, continue to build the defense and team around the QB
-Sign Dak, at some point trade him while you build the defense and team around the QB
-trade him now before the draft

Options that make ZERO sense:

-Let Dak walk
-let Dak play on the tag this year and let him walk

Either way, this Jerry/Dak contract is to the point of total stupidity. Needs to be done with already one way or the other.
Jerry never committed to Dak Prescott and that was proven in 2017-18. Jerry let him play without a no.1 TE, no.1 WR, did nothing to upgrade the lost of his no.1 C. Jerry let all the 2016 defensive players go with KC being the beneficiary as Hitchens, Wilson, Ward, and Claiborne picked up Super Bowl rings in 2019. Jerry had multiple opportunities with Dak's original agent to sign a long term deal 2017-2018. 2 years into the Mahomes, Wentz, and Goff deals, they went for a long term extension. Dak did not get a long term offer until 2019.

When you are Jerry Dumbo GM Jones, you don't know what you got until its gone...
s-l300.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYq_uRKHwUp8Xh8Z3wzcHMOpUMNRuRJ4JQ6g&usqp=CAU
cam-newton-of-the-carolina-panthers-lays-on-the-ground-after-being-picture-id508985572
inside-linebacker-anthony-hitchens-of-the-kansas-city-chiefs-reacts-picture-id1199362131
https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwajMVvZrwOOielVKUF7I2SjTPFzIsjpfOIQ&usqp=CAU
dak-prescott-of-the-dallas-cowboys-is-carted-off-the-field-after-a-picture-id1279709063

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
OK, I am sorry, you have come a long way from Brad Kaaya is better than Patrick Mahomes. We will look into the children's book before we think about 2021 Qb draft prospects:facepalm:

All Kidding aside...letting Dak walk won't be a validation of your QB assessment skills or opinion and it doesn't warrant an apology. Those of us who know Dak deserves a long term contract with our Cowboys or elsewhere know IF he walks it's because Stephen Jones is proving to have NO clue how build a contender. Entrusting Stephen Jones with picking another top QB in the draft is a riskier roll of the dice.

Liking how someones game translates better to the Pro's doesn't mean I think they are a better talent or player.

I like how Mac Jones game translates to the Pro's over anyone in this draft class but i'll still take 4 guys ahead of him..

reddyuta

Reaction score
my guess is this is all on Stephen Jones,if it was upto Jerry he would have been signed long time ago/

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
my guess is this is all on Stephen Jones,if it was upto Jerry he would have been signed long time ago/

Look how Lawrence and Cooper were negotiated with. It's the same thing and will probably end the same way.

Stephen doesn't have the fortitude to do what's right.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Jerry is the problem.

That’s been the case ever since he fired Jimmy Johnson.

I still can’t believe the huge contracts Jerry gave Jaylon and Zeke before securing his most important player.

When you make mistakes like that you end up where we are now, with no good options left and more mediocrity.
And he has realized he screwed that up, and seeing how Goff and Wentz have regressed could he be shy? I would have to think this has come into mind no doubt.

EGTuna

Reaction score
The Cowboys have botched this in every way, and painted themselves into a corner. If they had a viable Plan B, that'd be a different story, but they don't.

Dak has almost no incentive to sign a LTD with Dallas unless the Cowboys blow him away. He knows if he plays on the tag, he'll be an UFA this time next year, and will get offers more than what The Cowboys offered last off-season or this one. What's the incentive to sign with Dallas now other than the risk of injury? He's following the Kirk Cousins route to a tee, and Cousins was highest paid NFL player ever (in terms of guaranteed $) when he signed with Minnesota. Dak will be doing the same. As Josh Allen and perhaps Lamar sign extensions before the start of the 2022 off-season, Dak's price only goes up.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At 40 million or 41 million per year average, were at the ridiculous point. If that is truly where we are.

Jerry could have had this wrapped up for 35 million or a little less two years ago and 35 million just last year and he blew it. So if he has to pay upwards of 40 million, then he blew it.

On the surface, it looks like Dak cares about maximizing his money. If all this salary conjecture is really true. His determination to maximize his money 3 years from now with the TV contract shows again, that we will have to do this all over again, and the numbers will be even more crazy. If the rumors are true.

Problem is we have NO other options at the moment.

Cutting Dak for nothing is just dumb. Simply cant do that. You either sign Dak 3 years and work on his replacement during that time or you trade him.

Giving away the rights to Dak is NOT an option.

Here are the options I see that make any sense:

-Sign Dak, play out the next 3 years, continue to build the defense and team around the QB
-Sign Dak, at some point trade him while you build the defense and team around the QB
-trade him now before the draft

Options that make ZERO sense:

-Let Dak walk
-let Dak play on the tag this year and let him walk

Either way, this Jerry/Dak contract is to the point of total stupidity. Needs to be done with already one way or the other.
One of the few times where it seems Jerry might have gotten it correct!
Keep the course Jerry and let tier 3 Prescott do the FA walk of terror!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Glad to see you finally coming around,,, isnt that what you have said several times to me... I remember

Everything has a price or a price too high. Up to this point, it was never at 40 million with Dak, it was always the 35 for 4 years he would have accepted. Jerry blew that.

Now if the rumors are true and he is demanding 41 million only for 3 years, now its starting to get ridiculous.

Either way, letting Dak walk is not an option for a smart club.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Jerry and Stephen caved to Zeke then decided to play hardball with Dak, more championship-caliber management from the dynamic duo in Big D.

Yep, you nailed it. They caved on Zeke, Lawrence, and Cooper and played hard ball with the one guy they should have signed.

Is it ANY wonder why the Cowboys have sucked for going on 30 years now?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Stephen and Daks Agent has. Jerry wouldve signed him by now

I would love to believe that. I would love to believe that Dak isnt greedy. I would love to believe that Dak is putting winning over his own salary. But its getting harder and harder for me to believe that as time goes by.

Loso86

Reaction score
I would love to believe that. I would love to believe that Dak isnt greedy. I would love to believe that Dak is putting winning over his own salary. But its getting harder and harder for me to believe that as time goes by.
I agree, but until I know for sure who is at fault mostly and it will come out!. I'm going to hold judgment on all included. But what I do know is Jerry has no issue with paying his guys. Stephen does and is very cheap and Daks agent has a bad reputation of these type of situations. If Dak was willing to take 5 yrs 35 mil a year and 4 year deal, then something else is up here

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I agree, but until I know for sure who is at fault mostly and it will come out!. I'm going to hold judgment on all included. But what I do know is Jerry has no issue with paying his guys. Stephen does and is very cheap and Daks agent has a bad reputation of these type of situations. If Dak was willing to take 5 yrs 35 mil a year and 4 year deal, then something else is up here

D Law had to play on the franchise tag and might have had to do it again if he didn't have the shoulder surgery as leverage. Zeke had to hold out to get a deal. Amari had to get a huge offer in free agency for the Cowboys to sign him (although to be fair Amari did end up taking less money to stay in Dallas).

aria

Reaction score
He just knows that Dak isn't a franchise QB and he isn't going to cave to an average players wants.
So after doing just that for 25 years now is when he decides to put his foot down? When it comes to the a proven player at the most valuable position on the field?

Yup, you’re probably right, that would be the worst decision which is exactly why he’ll do it. Then we can give up premium draft picks for another QB or roll the dice in the draft and set this team back a few years along with wasting the the talent we have on offense right now.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

We can only speculate. I will wait as well, but if these 41 million rumors are true, its getting dumb.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys have botched this in every way, and painted themselves into a corner. If they had a viable Plan B, that'd be a different story, but they don't.

Dak has almost no incentive to sign a LTD with Dallas unless the Cowboys blow him away. He knows if he plays on the tag, he'll be an UFA this time next year, and will get offers more than what The Cowboys offered last off-season or this one. What's the incentive to sign with Dallas now other than the risk of injury? He's following the Kirk Cousins route to a tee, and Cousins was highest paid NFL player ever (in terms of guaranteed $) when he signed with Minnesota. Dak will be doing the same. As Josh Allen and perhaps Lamar sign extensions before the start of the 2022 off-season, Dak's price only goes up.
That risk of injury incentive may carry more weight now that Dak has had a significant injury. He might be a little more concerned about how fragile an NFL career can be.

But you are right that Dallas bungled this. My guess - and it is a guess, although I think a reasonable one - is that Dallas could have signed Dak to a long term deal before the 2019 season if they had just offered something in the ballpark of $30-32 million/year. Again, it's my guess they didn't offer that much, hoping he would sign a bargain deal, but even if they had signed him at $30-32 million/year it would have benefited a team even if it were just a 4 year extension like Dak wants because with 1 year remaining on Dak's rookie contract they could have spread the cap hit out over 5 years. Once Dak's rookie contract expired that flexibility was gone.