Bottom line is Jerry has bumbled the Dak negotiations

fivetwos

Reaction score
At what point to you go life without Prescott? One year or three?

I have no problem with letting him walk and seek out a deal elsewhere and the Joneses showing some balls in dealing with agents and players. They're the weakest in the league and until they grow a pair this will keep happening.

The other oddity of this "I don't think Prescott is worth 40-41M, let's trade him". To what team? What exactly is the Prescott market? Does any owner think he's a top 5 QB with that contract?

Even the Prescott fans say he has to have the talent around him. What team has that but not the QB?

Tag him and they're already over the cap so forget any first week D FA's that might actually help this inept defense. And they'll struggle to keep their own because the other teams that are interested will know how much they don't have to spend. So, it will all come down to the draft, like that?

I know you want something for him but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. They had him for 4 affordable years and he was a great bargain and now he's not. And I am not even talking about the ankle here.

I'd withdraw the offer and let him walk and I'd draft the next QB1 and I'd take that cap space and see what I could do in FA to fix the D. This team has a good OL and very good WR corps and a good pair of RB's, thank another rookie QB can't step into that and do well? Keep Dalton if he's not too expensive but if he is, he walks too because this team must build a defense that can contend or we're in Groundhog Day for the foreseeable future.
Well, those two are used to everyone around them saying yes all the time.

They probably figured that would happen here.

John813

Reaction score
What always struck me odd was how the F.O. praises Dak since his rookie year yet lowballed him on offers and have gone public about "only so many slices of pie/cap to go around"

But when it has come to Zeke, SJ mentioned on the radio that Gurley's deal would be the starting point and they caved to his demands after he went to Cabo.

Yet Dak never missed camp or threatened to holdout.

So, either they don't like him as much as they say they do and/or they think they are incompetent when they have to deal with agents that put up any resistance.

Happened with Dez, Lawrence and Zeke all to certain degrees.
They caved on Dez and Zeke. D-Law was the first to cave, but he still got a great deal.

fivetwos

Reaction score
What always struck me odd was how the F.O. praises Dak since his rookie year yet lowballed him on offers and have gone public about "only so many slices of pie/cap to go around"

But when it has come to Zeke, SJ mentioned on the radio that Gurley's deal would be the starting point and they caved to his demands after he went to Cabo.

Yet Dak never missed camp or threatened to holdout.

So, either they don't like him as much as they say they do and/or they think they are incompetent when they have to deal with agents that put up any resistance.

Happened with Dez, Lawrence and Zeke all to certain degrees.
They caved on Dez and Zeke. D-Law was the first to cave, but he still got a great deal.
They continually expect discounts due to some sort of loyalty that Jerry thinks exists.

He wants a big happy family.

The players want to get paid.

Flamma

Reaction score
At 40 million or 41 million per year average, were at the ridiculous point. If that is truly where we are.

Jerry could have had this wrapped up for 35 million or a little less two years ago and 35 million just last year and he blew it. So if he has to pay upwards of 40 million, then he blew it.

On the surface, it looks like Dak cares about maximizing his money. If all this salary conjecture is really true. His determination to maximize his money 3 years from now with the TV contract shows again, that we will have to do this all over again, and the numbers will be even more crazy. If the rumors are true.

Problem is we have NO other options at the moment.

Cutting Dak for nothing is just dumb. Simply cant do that. You either sign Dak 3 years and work on his replacement during that time or you trade him.

Giving away the rights to Dak is NOT an option.

Here are the options I see that make any sense:

-Sign Dak, play out the next 3 years, continue to build the defense and team around the QB
-Sign Dak, at some point trade him while you build the defense and team around the QB
-trade him now before the draft

Options that make ZERO sense:

-Let Dak walk
-let Dak play on the tag this year and let him walk

Either way, this Jerry/Dak contract is to the point of total stupidity. Needs to be done with already one way or the other.

Yes, it appears that Dak wants to maximize his income. But it's Jerry's job to make sure signing him is a benefit to the team, not just Dak. In no way shape or form is signing Dak to a 3 year deal going to benefit the team. Jerry would be adopting a son. The Cowboys are not very talented on D and wouldn't be able to do much to put talent on that side of the ball for three years.

Paying a quarterback a ton of money and the team isn't that good seems a bit pointless to me. I agree with what you say makes zero sense, but the first one might not be totally in Jerry's control. Dak would sign the tag, but nothing is forcing him to sign a long term deal. We're not winning anything with this current team. Dallas has to decide what they want to invest in that. Like putting expensive rims on a 1974 Volkswagen Beatle.

Dre11

Reaction score
Yes, it appears that Dak wants to maximize his income. But it's Jerry's job to make sure signing him is a benefit to the team, not just Dak. In no way shape or form is signing Dak to a 3 year deal going to benefit the team. Jerry would be adopting a son. The Cowboys are not very talented on D and wouldn't be able to do much to put talent on that side of the ball for three years.

Paying a quarterback a ton of money and the team isn't that good seems a bit pointless to me. I agree with what you say makes zero sense, but the first one might not be totally in Jerry's control. Dak would sign the tag, but nothing is forcing him to sign a long term deal. We're not winning anything with this current team. Dallas has to decide what they want to invest in that. Like putting expensive rims on a 1974 Volkswagen Beatle.

people keep saying, there will be no money to put players on defense, THEY HAD 4 YEARS TO GET PLAYERS ON THE DEFENSE WITH DAK ON HIS ROOKIE CONTRACT. why all of a sudden when its time to pay the man this comes up. That's on the FO

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Yah, well I dont agree that this team is too far away. Another good draft on defense and a few key free agent pickups on D and this team is right back in the hunt in the NFC. Offense is top notch with Dak. Zeke and jaylon probably come off the books in a year and that opens up 27 million or so in salary cap space.

As far as paying Dak, you simply cant lose the rights to Dak. Too valuable. Even at 41 million per year in salary some team would give you multiple first round picks for him and maybe more.

So you sign him and try to improve the defense. Now you have option to see how it goes or trade him.

Flamma

Reaction score
people keep saying, there will be no money to put players on defense, THEY HAD 4 YEARS TO GET PLAYERS ON THE DEFENSE WITH DAK ON HIS ROOKIE CONTRACT. why all of a sudden when its time to pay the man this comes up. That's on the FO

You'll get no argument from me. But the time to pay the man came and went after the 2018 season. Like when every other team extends their QB, after his 3rd year.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yah, well I dont agree that this team is too far away. Another good draft on defense and a few key free agent pickups on D and this team is right back in the hunt in the NFC. Offense is top notch with Dak. Zeke and jaylon probably come off the books in a year and that opens up 27 million or so in salary cap space.

As far as paying Dak, you simply cant lose the rights to Dak. Too valuable. Even at 41 million per year in salary some team would give you multiple first round picks for him and maybe more.

So you sign him and try to improve the defense. Now you have option to see how it goes or trade him.

Zeke can come off in 2 years, Jaylon after 2021.

Think about it. Dallas has about 20 mil. in cap space. They could probably fit Dak under the cap with little issue for one year. But a 3 year deal at 41m would make the second year near impossible. They'd have to restructure contracts. Whenever that's brought up names like Zeke and Jaylon are thrown around. If they plan on getting rid of them, you can't give them more guaranteed money.

We're also both coming into this with a difference of opinion on Dak. I don't think any team is picking up Dak's 3 year 123 million dollar contract and throwing us two 1st round picks. But if you think that then I'll admit your argument is valid.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
At 40 million or 41 million per year average, were at the ridiculous point. If that is truly where we are.

Jerry could have had this wrapped up for 35 million or a little less two years ago and 35 million just last year and he blew it. So if he has to pay upwards of 40 million, then he blew it.

On the surface, it looks like Dak cares about maximizing his money. If all this salary conjecture is really true. His determination to maximize his money 3 years from now with the TV contract shows again, that we will have to do this all over again, and the numbers will be even more crazy. If the rumors are true.

Cutting Dak for nothing is just dumb. Simply cant do that. You either sign Dak 3 years and work on his replacement during that time or you trade him.

-Sign Dak, play out the next 3 years, continue to build the defense and team around the QB
-Sign Dak, at some point trade him while you build the defense and team around the QB

-Let Dak walk

Either way, this Jerry/Dak contract is to the point of total stupidity. Needs to be done with already one way or the other.

IF Dak was signed two years ago to his prefered 4 year deal we'd be in the midst of negotiating an even larger extension.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Jerry and Stephen caved to Zeke then decided to play hardball with Dak, more championship-caliber management from the dynamic duo in Big D.

Just because they made a mistake in caving to Zeke doesn't mean they made a mistake in not caving to Dak.

Loso86

Reaction score
D Law had to play on the franchise tag and might have had to do it again if he didn't have the shoulder surgery as leverage. Zeke had to hold out to get a deal. Amari had to get a huge offer in free agency for the Cowboys to sign him (although to be fair Amari did end up taking less money to stay in Dallas).
Agreed

Loso86

Reaction score
We can only speculate. I will wait as well, but if these 41 million rumors are true, its getting dumb.
Completely dumb, hes definitely not worth that or to jump from 35 to 41 after an injury year seems odd

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Because jerry refused to cave on the years. We could have had this done 3 years ago. And we should have.
Ok, so we had this done 3 years ago - the way it looks like, Dak or his agent just care about money. They might be very well saying they want a new deal now and want even more money.

There is one party that has screwed this up and it's the player/agent side. Your offered $35 a year and your worried about years - wanting shorty so you can reup and make more money in a shorter period of time. This isn't an individual sport - this is a team sport with a limited amount of money that can go around to each player. If there wasn't a cap and Jerry could spend whatever, sure go for it...maximize your value since it will not effect the team, but this effects the team. You know, those guys who put their bodies and health on the line to block for you. Those who do the same to catch for you, and those who do the same to make sure the ball gets back in your hands.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

-Let Dak walk

About as well as any thought I’ve seen in this forum.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Completely dumb, hes definitely not worth that or to jump from 35 to 41 after an injury year seems odd

He bet on himself and won.. lol

Imagine actually thinking that and you got clowns who say that on ESPN constantly.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Why in the hell would the Cowboys think the longer this drags out the better position they’re going to be in.

Dak holds all the cards. Cowboys lost control after Dak signed the Tag last year.

We’re either going to pay millions more or we’re going to lose our QB. Neither of which is good for Cowboys Football.

CowboysRoy thought is one of the best I’ve seen in this forum on the debacle of Daks contract negotiations and how to move forward.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

-Let Dak walk

Seems many just read the title not the whole post. Roy I think you have captured the gist of what this team is faced with. Whether someone likes Dak or not, whether it’s Jerry or Dak’s agent’s fault that a deal didn’t get done is at this point basically moot. As we stand today, this team does not have its future with the most important position on the field figured out yet.

All the finger pointing at Dak’s supposed “greed” or the speculation that some young unproven potential stud is a better option don’t matter until this FO gets its act together on this decision. At this point the FO has painted itself into a corner without many options and as you said, the worst option is to let Dak walk with nothing in return.

Last edited:

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Wow, what a cool thread to read everyone's opinion about Dak and his money problems that JJ is dealing with. To me, it's a dilemma.

Someone is going to win and someone is going to lose. To me it was an unfortunate circumstance this early on with Dak's injury.

What might happen, who knows? Dak has money right now so he is not hurting money wise, JJ has money that he needs to allocate to other players to make the Cowboys Americas Team again. The QB of the Cowboys is the most important position on the team.

I'm hoping for the best, what ever it is. Pickup a guitar...play a tune...make it right.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Seems many just read the title not the whole post. Roy I think you have captured the gist of what this team is faced with. Whether someone likes Dak or not, whether it’s Jerry or Dak’s agent’s fault that a deal didn’t get done is at this point basically moot. As we stand today, this team does not have its future with the most important position on the field figured out yet.

All the finger pointing at Dak’s supposed “greed” or the speculation that some young unproven potential stud is a better option don’t matter until this FO gets its act together on this decision. At this point the FO has painted itself into a corner without many options and as you said, the worst option is to let Dak walk.

Actually, I'm hoping that Dak can walk good again not the worse.

That's the first option.