Bowman signs with Oakland

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hitchens is an average player that we happen to pay a lot more attention to because he is a Cowboy. Put him on another roster, nobody knows his name.

We'll see, soon enough, since his contract is up. He's a slightly above average LB in my book, whose utility is higher because he basically plays all three positions and is a character guy doesn't come with a lot of baggage. Not a world-beater, but a far, far cry from the guy who 'doesn't belong on an NFL roster' he's been reported to be by the 'braintrust' here.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bowman is a shell of his former self. Just like Zach Thomas and Keith Brooking were when we signed them.

He's not what he was, but he's still a good player against the run. He's definitely a situational upgrade to what we're fielding now, and not many of those guys shake loose in-season like this.

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
His reasons for not joining dallas were personal and it was made clear at the time he was released.

Why people seem to ignore this I don’t know.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
I just questioned the defensive fit and outside of insurance I'm not sure how much he is an upgrade over Hitchens. Hopefully Hitchens is now the starting MLB, while Jaylon is rotated in more selectively. The Bowman nonsigning in itself is not something im upset about, but it would be nice if we made a splash to upgrade one position of need. It's important to be prudent, but if there is a potentially good fit that gets you over the hump I do believe you need to make a serious play.

CB, Safety, 1tech, could all drastically help this team and if there was a Bowman like player available at one of the positions they would be crazy to not bring him to Dallas.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His reasons for not joining dallas were personal and it was made clear at the time he was released.

Why people seem to ignore this I don’t know.

I don't think that likely had anything to do with it. Was anything said publicly about that being a factor, or was it just disgruntled fans guessing? I can't imagine why he'd schedule a trip here if that were an actual deal breaker for him, since it's not anything that's subject to change.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just questioned the defensive fit and outside of insurance I'm not sure how much he is an upgrade over Hitchens. Hopefully Hitchens is now the starting MLB, while Jaylon is rotated in more selectively. The Bowman nonsigning in itself is not something im upset about, but it would be nice if we made a splash to upgrade one position of need. It's important to be prudent, but if there is a potentially good fit that gets you over the hump I do believe you need to make a serious play.

CB, Safety, 1tech, could all drastically help this team and if there was a Bowman like player available at one of the positions they would be crazy to not bring him to Dallas.

We needed him at LB as much as we need a player at S or 1-tech, and much more than we needed another CB, in my opinion. I agree with your estimation of how valuable he would probably have been, but he'd have taken Smith off the field, which we need to do right now, IMO.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Disappointed but not shocked. I'm ok with it if he didn't want to leave Cali.....but if he didn't come here because of Jerry or money? That's pathetic.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
They deserve to be criticized for letting it get to this....how did they watch Jaylon every day this offseason and come away with the belief he could be a full time contributor?
That's fair and fine but it still doesn't make them responsible for losing out on Bowman. Was really not ever even in their hands. Sounds like they had interest though, which, was something.

pitt33

Reaction score
He could have help.
If the 49er’s cut him loose that speaks volumes about the player at this juncture of his career.

He was amazing before those injuries took their toll.

I’m totally ok with him signing elsewhere.