Bowman signs with Oakland

Zordon

Reaction score
I don't know why people are throwing the FO under the bus for this one? I get it is a bummer but it's not like he came to Dallas and then left without a deal. Unfortunately, Oakland just got to him first. Just seems to be our luck around here.
They deserve to be criticized for letting it get to this....how did they watch Jaylon every day this offseason and come away with the belief he could be a full time contributor?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We're ahead of ourselves again. It all depends what the player was looking for. In terms of opportunity, length of contract, etc. If he just wanted a place to show what he can do for a season, playing for an injured Marquel Lee and in a group that's giving key snaps to two undrafted rookie free agents (one of whom weighs 220 pounds) on a team where he doesn't have to move his family, well, that makes a lot of sense. He can play out 11 games, get lots of reps, and then tour the NFL next offseason at his leisure and pick the best long-term fit for himself.

To beat that, what does Dallas offer? Can we commit the snaps to him? On first and second downs, maybe. He might not be our 2nd best coverage backer, though. You want to commit to playing him those snaps? Do you want to give him a long term deal sweet enough to take him off the market next season sight-unseen? Probably not, when you've got question marks with Jaylon and even Hitchens at that position. So what does that leave? A one-year offer at a big enough premium to offset the playing time opportunity and the fact that he'd have to move. What does that number look like? That's where you get into a number that was probably too rich for Stephen's blood. And maybe should have been. Hard to say without knowing the specifics.

All we know is he was a guy we really could have used, and it sucks because there was a legitimate better opportunity elsewhere. This is not something you blame the organization for. You just chalk it up to the fact that you really can't win 'em all.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yup, if Lee blow another hammy at least we gave something out there that can play.

If If was a-fifth we'd all be drunk.

I know what you're saying but it's impossible between cap space and roster size limitations to buttress your team against all contingencies.

robjay04

Reaction score
[.

Hope they are right.[/QUOTE]
I would rather go undefeated and win the super bowl. I guess that’s the difference betweeen Cowboys fans. Some are just happy to be relevant while some want the ultimate prize.

See how that works? Now let’s get back to looking at reality.

6-10 > 8-8 where this team is headed. They are not good enough to make a run in the playoffs or bad enough to go 4-12.

I guess I’m not a “fanatic” in the sense the word fan originates.

We are a grand total of one game out of having the second best record in the league. Only two one loss teams remain. We are 5 games into the season and just lost two very close games. The entire NFL sucks. No team is perfect...Patriots could easily be a 1-5 team right now. The Falcons just lost to the Dolphins and the Packers just lost their MVP.

Seriously if you think it is better off for this team to go 6-10 after a 2-3 start losing two close games then maybe you should root for another team. I would prefer to root for my team to win every Sunday instead of hoping we finish 6-10.

The difference between 6-10 and 8-8 may be 3 draft spots...it’s like you’re hoping for the team to suck enough so we don’t get a good draft pick other than being competitive every week with a chance at the playoffs.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We're ahead of ourselves again. It all depends what the player was looking for. In terms of opportunity, length of contract, etc. If he just wanted a place to show what he can do for a season, playing for an injured Marquel Lee and in a group that's giving key snaps to two undrafted rookie free agents (one of whom weighs 220 pounds) on a team where he doesn't have to move his family, well, that makes a lot of sense. He can play out 11 games, get lots of reps, and then tour the NFL next offseason at his leisure and pick the best long-term fit for himself.

To beat that, what does Dallas offer? Can we commit the snaps to him? On first and second downs, maybe. He might not be our 2nd best coverage backer, though. You want to commit to playing him those snaps? Do you want to give him a long term deal sweet enough to take him off the market next season sight-unseen? Probably not, when you've got question marks with Jaylon and even Hitchens at that position. So what does that leave? A one-year offer at a big enough premium to offset the playing time opportunity and the fact that he'd have to move. What does that number look like? That's where you get into a number that was probably too rich for Stephen's blood. And maybe should have been. Hard to say without knowing the specifics.

All we know is he was a guy we really could have used, and it sucks because there was a legitimate better opportunity elsewhere. This is not something you blame the organization for. You just chalk it up to the fact that you really can't win 'em all.

How dare you post something that includes logic.

lostar2009

Reaction score
If If was a-fifth we'd all be drunk.

I know what you're saying but it's impossible between cap space and roster size limitations to buttress your team against all contingencies.

Yeah but we talking 3 million dollars. We gave that scrub Caroll that kind of money to get burnt. Gave Collins 7 million to let pass rushers fold Dak up like a tent.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hitchens is a "meh" player. I accept that.

But I don't think Bowman is any more than that.

Not worth committing $3 mil in cap space that can be rolled into next season.

Hitch is better than 'meh.' Don't let Risen's terrible take on the guy infect you Winicki the way it infects his buddies. He's a solid 3 down player who plays WIL and MIKE and can give you something at SAM. Those guys are valuable, even if they're not superstars. It's tough to say how the player compare without seeing them together in the same system, but my bet is that Bowman is an upgrade to Hitch in the running game and a downgrade to him in coverage. The Bowman would have had the early down snaps and been off the field in obvious passing situations in favor of Lee and Hitchens, and then would have been valuable injury insurance if either of those guys went down as the next-best 3 down backer we'd have. Which is pretty much exactly what we need right now, because Durant doesn't seem to be able to give those part time snaps at a high level anymore, and Lee and Hitch can't stay healthy.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Lol it’s a bad organization right now. They’re unloading in order to get a higher pick in the draft. Zeke isn’t the player he once was either let’s get rid of him. Please don’t compare Hitchens to bowman. Barry Church and Terrell McClain were far more valuable to the run defense last year than hitchens. He’s been jag his entire career.
I would actually appreciate tanking.

The idea that we view this team as good and just a victim of circumstance sickens me. Then again, they also thought Brandon Weeden could play.

Alexander

Reaction score
Hitch is better than 'meh.' Don't let Risen's terrible take on the guy infect you Winicki the way it infects his buddies. He's a solid 3 down player who plays WIL and MIKE and can give you something at SAM. Those guys are valuable, even if they're not superstars. It's tough to say how the player compare without seeing them together in the same system, but my bet is that Bowman is an upgrade to Hitch in the running game and a downgrade to him in coverage. The Bowman would have had the early down snaps and been off the field in obvious passing situations in favor of Lee and Hitchens, and then would have been valuable injury insurance if either of those guys went down as the next-best 3 down backer we'd have. Which is pretty much exactly what we need right now, because Durant doesn't seem to be able to give those part time snaps at a high level anymore, and Lee and Hitch can't stay healthy.
Hitchens is an average player that we happen to pay a lot more attention to because he is a Cowboy. Put him on another roster, nobody knows his name.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah but we talking 3 million dollars. We gave that scrub Caroll that kind of money to get burnt. Gave Collins 7 million to let pass rushers fold Dak up like a tent.

I get the frustration, but I think this team needs more than Bowman.

Alexander

Reaction score
Signing old used up players has always been pointless. The Cowboys need defensive help for the next 3 yrs...not just to the end of this season.
Keep that eye on the future. Now, divert your eyes when we draft injured and damaged players in the second round.

StarMan2112

Reaction score
Bowman is a shell of his former self. Just like Zach Thomas and Keith Brooking were when we signed them.