Boycotting NFL games

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
am going to boycott NFL games for 1 or two game over the Zeke incident. In this nation we have law and due process and both were followed in this case and they did not seek to pursue and prosecute. There was evidence, or supposed evidence against Zeke, there was also contradictory statements and evidence against his girlfriend. I am not here to judge one way or other. there is plenty of doubt either way. it wasn't a clear cut case.

With this, without 100% proof or evidence, The NFL is putting itself above the law. When they selectively choose to prosecute and punish a player, above and beyond the law I think then the NFL is taking itself too seriously and has gone beyond where it needs to be on social issues.

Goodell has been doing this for years. When there is undisputed evidence, I can understand. But where there is doubt, conflicting facts, etc. then the action taken by NFL is nothing but an empty publicity stunt. yes, a publicity stunt, with Zeke being the pawn. They want to show a tough stand against domestic violence, yet in falsely without proof positive evidence that he did it, including conflicting evidence that she was out to get even with him, they have gone too far. In fact, now they have jeopardized the very players that are the foundation of what they are.

and secondly, Hardy, who had a case against him, which later settled out of court was given a 5 game suspension. Zeke a 6 game suspension. brown a 1 game suspension. its a freaking comedy show.

and IMO worse yet, if Zeke is to appeal and his sentence reduced then its even a bigger show of BS by NFL. just a publicity stunt as I said. They had a better chance of dismissing this. punishing him for his other discretions that fall under the Personal Conduct Policy, and withstand the storm of those who wanted to punish Zeke. They could have pointed to the law, lack of clear evidence, and point to the over zealous who want to use NFL and NFL players a pawn for domestic violence in the US.

I have sent NFL an email and comment and plan to boycott NFL for one weekend. Its going to be hard having football season but not watching. But NFL is about money, the publicity stunt they pulled is about money and I will make a stand with my money. I told them that I will not purchase any products from their advertisers for one week and am in the process of letting those advertisers know, that I am boycotting them.

the Fans in the NFL have power. we have power of our pocket book and our eyes watching their product. I encourage everyone to do the same. it will take a few minutes, it will take a little discipline, but it will force NFL to change the way it does business if there is enough fans coming together and combining their dollar-power.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
am going to boycott NFL games for 1 or two game over the Zeke incident. In this nation we have law and due process and both were followed in this case and they did not seek to pursue and prosecute. There was evidence, or supposed evidence against Zeke, there was also contradictory statements and evidence against his girlfriend. I am not here to judge one way or other. there is plenty of doubt either way. it wasn't a clear cut case.

With this, without 100% proof or evidence, The NFL is putting itself above the law. When they selectively choose to prosecute and punish a player, above and beyond the law I think then the NFL is taking itself too seriously and has gone beyond where it needs to be on social issues.

Goodell has been doing this for years. When there is undisputed evidence, I can understand. But where there is doubt, conflicting facts, etc. then the action taken by NFL is nothing but an empty publicity stunt. yes, a publicity stunt, with Zeke being the pawn. They want to show a tough stand against domestic violence, yet in falsely without proof positive evidence that he did it, including conflicting evidence that she was out to get even with him, they have gone too far. In fact, now they have jeopardized the very players that are the foundation of what they are.

and secondly, Hardy, who had a case against him, which later settled out of court was given a 5 game suspension. Zeke a 6 game suspension. brown a 1 game suspension. its a freaking comedy show.

and IMO worse yet, if Zeke is to appeal and his sentence reduced then its even a bigger show of BS by NFL. just a publicity stunt as I said. They had a better chance of dismissing this. punishing him for his other discretions that fall under the Personal Conduct Policy, and withstand the storm of those who wanted to punish Zeke. They could have pointed to the law, lack of clear evidence, and point to the over zealous who want to use NFL and NFL players a pawn for domestic violence in the US.

I have sent NFL an email and comment and plan to boycott NFL for one weekend. Its going to be hard having football season but not watching. But NFL is about money, the publicity stunt they pulled is about money and I will make a stand with my money. I told them that I will not purchase any products from their advertisers for one week and am in the process of letting those advertisers know, that I am boycotting them.

the Fans in the NFL have power. we have power of our pocket book and our eyes watching their product. I encourage everyone to do the same. it will take a few minutes, it will take a little discipline, but it will force NFL to change the way it does business if there is enough fans coming together and combining their dollar-power.

The NFL definitely goes overboard with its control, but I for one am thankful that the set up is not like the NBA. Where the inmates run the asylum. The players basically collude on where they are going and what they are going to do. They run the league and run the teams now. At least the top ones. And MLB with the 100% guaranteed contracts is bad business.

John813

Reaction score
I'll still watch. Don't like the suspension, but football is an out for me, after a long week of work.
And it's free.

aria

Reaction score

No offense but the only thing your "boycott" will accomplish is giving you personal gratification. Also curious which weekend you plan on boycotting? Will you be selective and boycott a game you don't want to miss or boycott the first game which would be the most logical IMO.

I thought about boycotting the NFL last year after the horrendous officiating, not just with the Cowboys but
league wide. In the end, nothing changes but having more time and less stress on the weekends (not a bad thing).

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
You're wasting your time. Even if viewers/attendance is down it wont be credited toward the Zeke suspension. It will much more likely be received as protest to the Colin Kaepernick situation.

I'll be there watching week 1. I've waited long enough for football, and cant wait any longer. It is up to Zeke to fight the suspension, and the NFLPA to take this ridiculous power from Goodell in the next CBA. Until then just sit back and enjoy the product we have.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I have been going back and forth and decided I will still watch, I enjoy football too much and have nothing else to do on Sundays.

What I won't be doing is buying Sunday Ticket or any merchandise. I am sure it will go unnoticed but not giving my money to the NFL as long as Goddell is in charge.

I am tired of the direction he has taken the league.

erod

Reaction score
The NFL is far bigger than Zeke Elliott. This won't register at all.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score

Please read and understand the difference between the burden of proof in a criminal case(beyond reasonable doubt) and a civil case(preponderance of evidence, that's 50.1% chance he did it), even the DA said something happened but didn't feel get could secure a conviction, that doesn't mean he's innocent and this notion that it's some publicity stunt is laughable, how does negative events and suspensions by players help the league, how does thee best player in the NFL, Tom Brady. suspended for 4 games and not playing in a national televised game help the NFL brand....How does one if not the best running back in the NFL not playing on opening night be some publicity stunt...Hardy got 10 games and some outside entity reduced it to 4 games, that was laughable decision...and come opening night when Sunday night football comes on, you'll be in front of your TV like every other Cowboy fan watching the game,....I said it before, the NFL can no longer sweep these events under the rug like they have, they have to get a handle on these troubled players and have to show they are serious about domestic violence incidents.......

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It's as I said long ago. The NFL has the upper hand and so long as they keep control of things, they can continue to print money. You may not like the way they run things but the NFL is theirs to run. The NFLPA is only there to make money for themselves IMO because they have no real strength. The players voted for more money, and in exchange, they signed the CBA allowing the NFL more power in players issues.

To be honest, they probably made the right decision because end of day, I don't believe they could have won that battle and they would probably have ended up with less money and the same situation, with regards to the NFL. It is what it is.

The time to stand up against this was years ago. It is not now. Now, it's too late. JMO

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

First off, employers suspend employees all the time for conduct that doesn't rise to the level of a crime. Courts have held that employers have that right, so the "above the law" argument doesn't hold up. Secondly, your boycott will be almost as noticeable as one less quart of water going over Niagara Falls. If you actually enjoy the games, you're only punishing yourself.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Don't even waste your time boycotting it.

If you want to watch just watch.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The NFL definitely goes overboard with its control, but I for one am thankful that the set up is not like the NBA. Where the inmates run the asylum. The players basically collude on where they are going and what they are going to do. They run the league and run the teams now. At least the top ones. And MLB with the 100% guaranteed contracts is bad business.
I don't disagree with your assessment of NBA. the difference is in the NBA, one players makes 50% difference in a team's performance and its future. you need one start and couple of good players to be a good team.....but that's what happens with a team that has 5 starters and about 8 players that play most of the season.

the game for NBA and Baseball is different. They have 162 games, vs. 16 and less violent. Baseball has no competition for about 3-4 months out of the year. they can afford to give guaranteed contract. NFL is injury prone and short season. they can't afford to do that.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I'll be joining you in your boycott. I've heard the arguments about "preponderance of the evidence" rather than "guilty beyond all reasonable doubt" and I'm not convinced. to my mind, the NFL should only suspend based on someone actually having been convicted in a court of law. Zeke hasn't been convicted by either standard. It should not be the NFL's job to determine someone's guilt. That's the job of the courts. So I'll boycott with you. I know some people will think I'm only punishing myself as I won't put a dent in the NFL's coffers. Whatever. I can use the time to do something fun like going out to movies with the family. I'm tired of the NFL's BS.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
No offense but the only thing your "boycott" will accomplish is giving you personal gratification. Also curious which weekend you plan on boycotting? Will you be selective and boycott a game you don't want to miss or boycott the first game which would be the most logical IMO.

I thought about boycotting the NFL last year after the horrendous officiating, not just with the Cowboys but
league wide. In the end, nothing changes but having more time and less stress on the weekends (not a bad thing).
It can be any week. it would be better, to have the opportunity to have a large group plan and carry it out together. then the numbers would show for advertisers and the NFL.

secondly, if enough FANS show the NFL, then the NFL will respond.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You're wasting your time. Even if viewers/attendance is down it wont be credited toward the Zeke suspension. It will much more likely be received as protest to the Colin Kaepernick situation.

I'll be there watching week 1. I've waited long enough for football, and cant wait any longer. It is up to Zeke to fight the suspension, and the NFLPA to take this ridiculous power from Goodell in the next CBA. Until then just sit back and enjoy the product we have.
regardless. the NFL needs to understand that the fans matter and they are not just numbers to them. if FANS work together, then they can change the league. other wise its business as ususal.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The NFL is far bigger than Zeke Elliott. This won't register at all.
but its not just about zeke. its Kapernick and several other players that have gone through similar things. and cowboys are one of the largest fan bases. a dent, no matter how small matters to NFL. this is one of the main reasons they take the actions they do and worry so much about their public image.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Its entertainment. Even if Zeke is gone for 6 games-- the sky isn't falling. We can still win some games. I don't agree with Goodell's decision here-- but "this too shall pass." Just not something I'm gonna let disrupt my life lol.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Please read and understand the difference between the burden of proof in a criminal case(beyond reasonable doubt) and a civil case(preponderance of evidence, that's 50.1% chance he did it), even the DA said something happened but didn't feel get could secure a conviction, that doesn't mean he's innocent and this notion that it's some publicity stunt is laughable, how does negative events and suspensions by players help the league, how does thee best player in the NFL, Tom Brady. suspended for 4 games and not playing in a national televised game help the NFL brand....How does one if not the best running back in the NFL not playing on opening night be some publicity stunt...Hardy got 10 games and some outside entity reduced it to 4 games, that was laughable decision...and come opening night when Sunday night football comes on, you'll be in front of your TV like every other Cowboy fan watching the game,....I said it before, the NFL can no longer sweep these events under the rug like they have, they have to get a handle on these troubled players and have to show they are serious about domestic violence incidents.......

do we put a business and business' action above and beyond the law? if there was truly anything, couldn't she pursue a civil case against him? she has all the right to do so and its no unprecedented.

and this is a publicity stunt.. which stems back to their stupid handling of ray rice situation, which they are now trying to correct, with going to far the other way. they need to show they are tough against domestic violence. they got a huge back lash, in the ray rice and then as a result immediately after, with Hardy situation.

and it maybe true that any publicity is good publicity, including the Tom Brady situation, but they are also alienating some of the base fans, that supposed to watch, follow, and buy no matter what, given the NFL has changed its marketing towards the fringe fans in order to increase its revenue base.

I promise you that I will be boycotting a game or two. and I have already sent emails to some of the advertisers and will not purchase their products, perhaps for an extended period. I may not directly impact NFL, given their income is from their advertisers. and if you hurt the advertisers, they probably are more apt to listen. I will not bring NFL down, this wasn't meant to be that....but if there is enough fans, for what ever reason, put a dent into NFL...then they will listen.