Boys 2014 cap situation is a trainwreck

SWG9

Reaction score
I never questioned the intent. It's the results that are lacking. The Cowboys are constantly pushing debt into future years to achieve another .500-like season.

When your team is run of the mill and you spend more than any team in the league for it, you're mismanaging the franchise. It's really quite that simple.

This is a nice 5 sentence summation of why this a flawed strategy.

But hey, we locked up the core of an 8-8 team and we only need to restructure 9 contracts every year to tread water. High fives all around.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
At the end of the year, you'll see a lot of players gone.

Ratliff will cost us 7 million next year because of the release, but that doesn't go into depth as to the fact that he was scheduled to cost us 8.2 million.

Miles Austin is scheduled to cost 8.2 million next year. We'll take the 7.85 cap hit from releasing him and spread it. So we'll actually save 5 million next year from releasing Miles Austin.

I believe DeMarcus Ware will also be released next year. Spreading his cap hit over two years saves us 11.2 million dollars next year. So already you're at 16.2 million dollars in savings.

We can restructure Brandon Carr's salary quite a bit. Can probably save about 5 million from that.

Restructuring Romo can save about 10 million next year. That's already 31 million dollars...

This accounting allows the team to rebuild through the draft. Which we've been doing pretty well. Will we be able to sign big name free agents? If you count someone like Dez, yeah. Outside the organization? Probably not.

Eddie

Reaction score
Someone needs to have a heart to heart with Jerry and tell him it's time to hang up the shoes.

Tell him what a great job he's done, and how his legacy has effected the lives of billions. Heck, tell him anything. Just get him to retire.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right. You said all the bad decisions? That was Jerry strong arming Stephen. Something you couldn't possibly know.

We most certainly would be having this discussion whether his name was Jones, Smith or whatever. He's been terrible at his job. He's a far bigger problem than any coach or player.

You have no concrete knowledge of the situation either.

black label

Reaction score
Someone needs to have a heart to heart with Jerry and tell him it's time to hang up the shoes.

Tell him what a great job he's done, and how his legacy has effected the lives of billions. Heck, tell him anything. Just get him to retire.

Get it thru your concrete skulls JERRY IS GOING NOWHERE UNLESS HE IS DEAD its stupid to just keep saying it, give it up

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I think the problem for the longest time is just how top heavy we've been. We didn't draft well, and the stars who got paid big here, really didn't contribute enough to win games.

I think that is slowly but surely changing, and I think fans should be pretty excited about it. Especially given that we so quickly put together a really good offensive line. We just need to do the same with the defensive line.

Perhaps they can resign Hatcher, maybe not. But Spencer should be gone next year unless he comes in at super super cheap. Ratliff is gone. And Ware should probably be gone too. That means you're start from scratch there.

We probably can't afford to keep Scandrick, but at the same time we need Claiborne to play up to his billing in order to release him. On offense, I think we're rolling. Just need to part ways with Miles Austin. Like Marion Barber and Roy Williams before him, he has become a player holding other players back, and taking up large salary cap space.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a nice 5 sentence summation of why this a flawed strategy.

But hey, we locked up the core of an 8-8 team and we only need to restructure 9 contracts every year to tread water. High fives all around.

It's sad to see how beaten down this fan base is where they have to think like that.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You have no concrete knowledge of the situation either.

I have the knowledge that Stephen Jones is in charge of our cap and it's been mismanaged on a yearly basis. I'm holding the guy in charge accountable. You're creating a skit in your head to blame somebody else.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have the knowledge that Stephen Jones is in charge of our cap and it's been mismanaged on a yearly basis. I'm holding the guy in charge accountable. You're creating a skit in your head to blame somebody else.

I blame the GM.

coult44

Reaction score
I've lost as much faith and hope in some if you "cowboys fans" as I have JJ and this pathetically ran orginazation...for any of you to defend how JJ and how they handled the salary cap of this team!!!!the next closest team is 13 Million over the cap. The NFL should discuss sanctions or other actions against JJ because of this embarrassment of a front office...

Common Sense

Reaction score
This just brings to me a question where is adamjt13. The true cap expert?

If I had to guess, he probably got sick of the same "Caps don't matter" crowd crowing and arguing and second guessing every fact he put out there.

coult44

Reaction score
This just brings to me a question where is adamjt13. The true cap expert?

You don't think the guys who reported this today, who happen to work for the worlds largest team of sports experts, and who have every bit of data available to them could do their job? This isn't an opinionated report, this is a fact stated indication of where we are financially. Can y'all stop defending it. Even if its 10 million off ( haha) it ridiculous!!!!!!! The NFL should strip the team from him for lack of financial stability or just being an overall dummy!!!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don't think the guys who reported this today, who happen to work for the worlds largest team of sports experts, and who have every bit of data available to them could do their job?

No. They have been proven to be wrong many times before. Why would someone take everything they say for the truth?

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
You don't think the guys who reported this today, who happen to work for the worlds largest team of sports experts, and who have every bit of data available to them could do their job? This isn't an opinionated report, this is a fact stated indication of where we are financially. Can y'all stop defending it. Even if its 10 million off ( haha) it ridiculous!!!!!!! The NFL should strip the team from him for lack of financial stability or just being an overall dummy!!!

I'm sure it's factually correct, just not relevant,

coult44

Reaction score
No. They have been proven to be wrong many times before. Why would someone take everything they say for the truth?

Not taken everything they say as truth, but about 150% more than anyone in here on the numbers...

Not taking what they are saying as 100% truth but compared to anyone in here it's not even close. They are not 31 million off....good ran Organizations are not anywhere close to this.... JJ is too senile to run this orginazation anymore...

Common Sense

Reaction score
It's okay, guys. We'll just restructure Ratliff. Oh, wait.

Well, Austin, then. Oh, you mean he's probably going to be cut?

What happens when you run out of contracts to restructure, eh? Oh, I know. We'll just give another exorbitantly high base salary to another player so that we can magically turn it into a signing bonus next year and say that it was "planned." Because that, you know, makes sense on this board.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The cap situation was a train wreck this year, and they restructured deals and it all worked out fine. Romo, Ware, Witten, and Carr are amicable about re-working their contracts.