BP vs WP

D-TownRadio

Benched
Reaction score
Okay there has been sooo much talk over who deserves credit for this team. First and foremost how about we give credit to the guys out there busting their arses week in and week out. Then we look at the key factors of this team Romo and Owens who Bill wanted nothing to do with either of them.

Now I am not going to sit here and rip billy boy I just think he would make a better GM then head coach. I think you let him help with the draft and FA but keep him away from the play calling and your okay. Oh and also teach him to take chances on players like T.O.

You can bash me for thinking this way but I just feel the game has passed him by but I will say he still has a good eye for talent.

Garland powerplay

Reaction score
'Coach Parcells bought the groceries'. Coach Phillips is preparing the 5 star meal. Actually he would look natural in a chefs suit.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
D-TownRadio;1832246 said:
Okay there has been sooo much talk over who deserves credit for this team. First and foremost how about we give credit to the guys out there busting their arses week in and week out. Then we look at the key factors of this team Romo and Owens who Bill wanted nothing to do with either of them.

Where did you come up with that?
Now I am not going to sit here and rip billy boy I just think he would make a better GM then head coach. I think you let him help with the draft and FA but keep him away from the play calling and your okay. Oh and also teach him to take chances on players like T.O.

You can bash me for thinking this way but I just feel the game has passed him by but I will say he still has a good eye for talent.

I agree with the rest of the post.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;1832264 said:
I agree with the rest of the post.

Isn't it pretty well established that it was Sean Payton who was the most directly responsible for pulling for us to sign Romo? Heck, if I'm not mistaken, there were those who wanted us to draft him, but others in the draft room thought he would be available after the draft. This turned out to be true, but to say that Bill was responsible for Romo is a bit far-fetched when we didn't even bother to draft him.

In the end, he might have gone along with it, but I really doubt he had this small school QB pegged from the beginning.

And people thanking Parcells for sitting him for 4 years? I would almost chalk that up to his stubborness of giving up on a veteran QB than anything else.

Again, not saying Parcells deserves no credit, but gets entirely too much credit for Romo. Romo deserves 99% of the credit.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Romo HIMSELF said he was not ready to play untill last year.
BP protected him for 3 years while he learned.
Get over this need to say BP did nothing.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
D-TownRadio;1832246 said:

I think both men were the right man for the job at the time they took over. Damn this team went from nothing and BP helped turn the losing ways around. I have no doubts that BP style of coaching wore thin on these players and Phillips was the perfect fit to follow a hardnose like BP. I think both men deserve credit for the job they did and is currently doing to help this franchise get back to where we belong.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I refuse to take part in any BP/WP discussions.

Howerver, a far more intriguing question is:

If Jerry Jones would have hired Wade Phillips in 2003, would we be this far along?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
mickgreen58;1832447 said:

If Jerry Jones would have hired Wade Phillips in 2003, would we be this far along?

No.....

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister;1832282 said:
I thought you mean Brainpaint vs Woodysgirl

My money is on WG :D
I think I could take him if he's wearing the cheerleader outfit.

burmafrd;1832283 said:
Never EVER underestimate how nasty a woman can get.
I'm not nasty, but I do fight dirty. :cool: :)

Tobal

Reaction score
This team has done well because of both guys. I like both of them.... I love that Phillips will take the blame on his shoulders for issues.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Hard to say. Jerry gave BP a lot more freedom than he did with Gailey or Campo so part of the question would have to be would he have given Wade that same freedom? I love Jerry but during those years players constantly went over the coach’s head and that is a lot for a coach to overcome when he is not given the authority he must have to have a chance.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
No...

All these who gets the credit is silly, as far as I'm concerned. Anyone with shred of football knowledge could see that BP made the team better and WP is making it even better. Let it go.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

Well if you want to go there.... I have a question...

Is Sean Payton there to bring Romo in for Wade? :D

Being that we drafted MOSTLY defense... I think Wade probably drafts pretty good defensive players.

I dont know about the others...

khiladi

Reaction score
Ozzu;1832269 said:
Isn't it pretty well established that it was Sean Payton who was the most directly responsible for pulling for us to sign Romo? Heck, if I'm not mistaken, there were those who wanted us to draft him, but others in the draft room thought he would be available after the draft. This turned out to be true, but to say that Bill was responsible for Romo is a bit far-fetched when we didn't even bother to draft him.

In the end, he might have gone along with it, but I really doubt he had this small school QB pegged from the beginning.

And people thanking Parcells for sitting him for 4 years? I would almost chalk that up to his stubborness of giving up on a veteran QB than anything else.

Again, not saying Parcells deserves no credit, but gets entirely too much credit for Romo. Romo deserves 99% of the credit.

Actually, he was projected to go in the 5th, and when he was still there in the 6th, Jeff Ireland says, Sean Payton was almost jumping on the table telling us to draft him. Coincidentally, Payton didn't just happen to stumble upon Romo. Romo played at Payton's alma mater, so Payton knew very well the potential of this kid.

And as far as your comment regarding veteran QBs and Parcells, I agree. Bill was forced into playing Romo, because his last two attempts at QB sucked so bad, and he was literally losing the team.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
khiladi;1832657 said:
Actually, he was projected to go in the 5th, and when he was still there in the 6th, Jeff Ireland says, Sean Payton was literally on the table telling us to draft him. Coincidentally, Payton didn't just happen to stumble upon Romo. Romo played at Payton's alma mater, so Payton knew very well the potential of this kid.

So who made the noncall to draft him in the 6th? BP or JJ?

khiladi

Reaction score
YoMick;1832659 said:
So who made the noncall to draft him in the 6th? BP or JJ?

All I know is that he went undrafted, and Sean Payton convinced Parcells through persistence to bring him aboard as an undrafted free agent. The only potential road block was Denver, because Shanahan also wanted him. Shanahan was also from Romo's alma mater. If Bill Parcells, Jeff Ireland or JJ had any idea that Romo was that good, they wouldn't have waited. Hell, he would have probably been the first pick in the draft.

The real point in this whole thing is that the real believer of Romo was Sean Payton, and that he deserved most of the credit from a management point of view. Romo himself mentioned Sean Payton in this context. But as far as the results of Romo on the field, I don't believe anybody could have predicted it was going to be this good.

This was clearly a matter of luck for the Dallas Cowboys.... He is clearly among the top 3 QBs of the league, and what makes him so damn good isn't his physical gifts, though his phsyical gifts in throwing the ball are top-notch, but he is so damn smart, and he adjusts on the fly. He has an internal mechanism that prevents him from panicking, and these things aren't a matter of coaching really. 4 years was way too long to get him out there. Think about his first performance, and forget Seattle. This guy threw 3 picks, but he didn't care. Each pick, he went marching down the field again. Those picks were clearly a result of mis-reads, which were a result of not getting on the field enough. The fact that he just got back up and moved the ball, I was like, woh.... and he did it without getting shell-shocked.. any other QB would have had stage-fright after that game, because of those picks.. Jason Garret probably studied just as hard as Romo, but he could never be that type of QB...

this was like winning the lottery... except it wasn't purely chance, but Sean Payton had a hand in it...

BTW, it was Jeff Ireland that made this statement last year, regarding Payton wanting Romo, and he didn't take any credit for the Romo pick.

Angus

Reaction score
I don't think Parcells deserves the credit he is given for draft selections. The success he has had in Dallas has been attributable to Jeff Ireland and Jerry Jones for the most part, I believe.

As I understand it, in 2003 he didn't want to draft Newman (but Jones did) and skipped Witten in favor of Al Johnson. Only luck enabled Witten to be selected later.

2004 was the trade year for buffalo's 2005 number one. Julius Jones is the only player selected on the first day still on the team. I believe the seventh round was turned over to Ireland, and he chose Nathan Jones, Patrick Crayton, and Jacques Reeves. Not Parcells.

In 2005 Parcells wanted to draft Spears first instead of Ware. If Jones and Ireland had not had their way, Ware would be in San Diego. and I think Ireland was the major voice in selecting Burnett, Barber, Canty, Beriault, and Ratliff.

In 2006, I think Parcells was responsible for the selections of Carpenter and Fasano, but Ireland brought him and Jones around to Hatcher, Watkins, and McQuistan.

This year, when Parcells was gone, even though Dallas traded its number one to Cleveland, it had eight selections and all of them made the team and are still on it (except Ball made the team originally but was was put on the practice squad when Oglesby was added; he is on the team again and Deon Anderson is on IR).

I think Parcells gets far too much credit for the makeup of this Dallas team, not even considering the recent free agent additions.

:)

khiladi

Reaction score
Angus;1832684 said:
In 2006, I think Parcells was responsible for the selections of Carpenter and Fasano, but Ireland brought him and Jones around to Hatcher, Watkins, and McQuistan.

Nice post. And I believe the reason he even selected Fasano is because he kind of looks like Mark Bavaro... :laugh2: