BPA? Shouldnt we be trying to get BEST Offensive Player not defensive?

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
We are in serious trouble on offense.

Old QB
Old WR's
Questions at RB
O-line

Why so much emphasis on defense?

If we dont address the draft for YOUTH on offense we will never get out of this Offensive funk we have been in for over a decade. Drafting offense(youth) worked before, we gotta get back to that, no?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
YoMick said:

Old QB
Old WR's
Questions at RB
O-line

If we dont address the draft for YOUTH on offense we will never get out of this Offensive funk we have been in for over a decade. Drafting offense(youth) worked before, we gotta get back to that, no?

I think Dallas will address the offense but I don't think every pick in the draft will be directed towards offense and would not be suprised if the 1st pick is on the defensive side of the ball.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
BPA, by definition, has nothing to do with either the offensive or definsive side of the ball. By taking the BPA, you're ignoring position, and therefore if the player resides on O or D.

I understand what you're saying though. The thing is, we don't have a hole on offense. QB? Bledsoe is older, but he's still pretty good and he's our guy this year. RB? We've got good young player there. WR? Not a hole there. Yes, there is age at WR, but for this year... we're set. OL? We've got all the positions filled, even though there is age there. TE? We're good there. FB? We have Polite and the position itself just isn't that important.

On defense, we have a real hole at OLB and FS. Those spots have players that just aren't very good. Al Singleton is fine for a 4-3... but he just isn't what any 3-4 team needs at OLB. And here's the thing about our SOLB spot: until we get a good player there... one that can really get after the QB... Demarcus Ware is going to be hampered because there just isn't anyone for the offense to worry about on the other side and they can scheme all day long to take Ware out of the game. Manny Lawson, Carpenter, or Wimbley will eat them alive if they leave them alone to focus on stopping Ware. The difference is huge between worrying about 1 good OLB in a 3-4 and worrying about two. The result is much more than the sum of the parts. It'll make a huge difference.

Parcells knows what another great player opposite Ware will do for the entire defense, and I think he's itching to plug that part in. Just grab Lawson and watch the defense turn into a top 5 terror...

One player there can have a bigger impact on the team (this season) than at any other position, if you're talking about who can we draft this year.

That's my two cents worth.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
I Could find plenty of holes on offense for you.......OT, OG, C

blindzebra

Reaction score
The easiest way to win is to have a great defense and a solid offense.

We have quality and youth on defense and we are a OLB, FS and back up NT away from having a potentially dominate defense for a long time.

OL is deep in this draft.

WR sucks this year.

No QB worth a first round pick will be there at 18, and I think we have the heir apparent already.

We have 3 good young RBs already.

TE is set.

Draft OLB first, OT 2nd, FS 3rd, NT 2nd day and we are looking good.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
The easiest way to win is to have a great defense and a solid offense.

We have quality and youth on defense and we are a OLB, FS and back up NT away from having a potentially dominate defense for a long time.

OL is deep in this draft.

WR sucks this year.

No QB worth a first round pick will be there at 18, and I think we have the heir apparent already.

We have 3 good young RBs already.

TE is set.

Draft OLB first, OT 2nd, FS 3rd, NT 2nd day and we are looking good.

After Oline, I highly doubt any first day picks will be at the skill positions. This will be a defense heavy draft for us.

Next year OTOH, we prolly will be chasing a QB, WR, and RB(pending Julius; performance this year.)

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
getting Lawson, Carpenter or Wibmberly will force teams to have to watch more than ONE LB on the blitz, this will free up D-Ware and make our defense that much better, that is if whomever we get can play at the pro level.

O-line, our main problem last year was really the loss of Flozell Adams, i mean until his injury our line was not bad. and if Kosier can fill the shoes that Allen left we may have an above average line (Kosier is said to be quicker than allen was, and this is what we wanted). as for our C didnt Al Johnson pack on 15 lbs? maybe this will improve his game, maybe he isnt an elite center, but better than last year is always good. as for Riviera, if he comes back strong from his injury (its been 2 years now) that is another plus and Fabini is an upgrade over PETITI - petiti btw may have matured, he did play 16 games last year and has a whole off-season yet to come.

Yes, i said IF and MAYBE a lot, but you do see that our O-line has made a big stride since last year.

WR, this position is such a joke this year, the quality of the BWA (Best WR available) at the 18th pick is just a bit better than what we could get in latter rounds, im sorry but this year is not the year for WR. and ontop of that we have Crayton who is coming into his third year, TO doesnt play like a 33 year old, he definately has a few more years left, and TG is a #2 who has maybe 2 years left, we are fine here until next year.

RB - 3 young guys, JJ in his 3rd year and hopefully he can stay healthy, and MBIII is a solid back-up as we saw last year, and TT - good special teamer and pretty fast. we dont need to worry about RB at all this year.

QB - Bledsoe is here to stay for this year and then a few more, for some reason BP and JJ have faith in Henson/Romo. did you see how many QB's got picked up in FA this year? i mean with that alone we can address this through FA next year if somebody worth while comes our way, and then theres always the draft next year.

FB - BP doesnt use them and Lousaka is young and smart.

Defense - 3 holes = 1. OLB, 2. FS, 3. Back-up NT. the draft will take care of this.

silver

Reaction score
i certainly agree with Yo-Mick. We've drafted for Defense in 02, 03, and 05. the only impact player we drafted on offense was witten in 03. IMO the law of averages dictates we draft for offense this year. we have 6 starters on defense that we drafted of which 5 are first rounders (ellis 1st, spears 1st, ware 1st, james 4th, williams, 1st, and newman 1st). in contrast we have 4 starters on offense, none are first rounders (adams 2nd, johnson, 2nd, witten 3rd and jones 2nd).

btcutter

Reaction score
silver said:
i certainly agree with Yo-Mick. We've drafted for Defense in 02, 03, and 05. the only impact player we drafted on offense was witten in 03. IMO the law of averages dictates we draft for offense this year. we have 6 starters on defense that we drafted of which 5 are first rounders (ellis 1st, spears 1st, ware 1st, james 4th, williams, 1st, and newman 1st). in contrast we have 4 starters on offense, none are first rounders (adams 2nd, johnson, 2nd, witten 3rd and jones 2nd).

I agree that this draft is going to be OFFENSE heavy. Mostly on the OL with a OLB early in our draft.

I can't believe people actually believe that our OL is solid and all our OL position is adequetly filled. The line that says ...Great D and good O wins is very true. However, we DO NOT have an decent O without a OL. We need to upgrade OL badly or else Bledsoe the statue is going to be sitting on his *** with TO chewing his butt off for not getting him the ball, while JJ will lead the league is run for losses (Remeber last yr?????). Oh....those of you who think just because FLO is back, we are ok. Think again. Flo was a talent but inconsistent. Now add knee injury to it. How does anyone know how well he will perform next yr. I won't bank my whole season on it.:bang2: :bang2:

Woods

Reaction score
I think we'll trade down and have 4 picks on Day 1 of the Draft.

I'd guess we'd take an OLB, CB/FS, one OL (guy who has the versatility to play Guard and OT), and WR.

Day 2 we take a NT and probably another OL and a KR/PR type player.

I see this draft being fairly well balanced on both sides of the ball.

Hiero

Reaction score
I think we try and finish off the defense this year with some offense mixed in, and 2007 we take a young QB, unless we get Charlie Whitehurst this year, then we may get a stud WR early on.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Quoting myself from a similar thread:
It basically boils down two major needs on offense and two major needs on defense.

Offensive Needs
1. OL - Basically this is less of a need because we addressed it in FA and Flo is coming back. Also, it shouldn't necessarily be addressed at #18 because we can get similar quality players in round 2.

2. Future WR - Of course we do not have immediate needs at the WR position. We do however need to develop some young WRs for the future. The conventional wisdom, though, is that this need isn't sufficient to warrant a first round pick, who would basically be relegated to kick/punt returns his first year.

Defensive Needs

1. OLB - Plain and simple we need an OLB opposite Ware. Singleton and Burnett are major question marks.

2. FS - Major need in most people's opinion but we've got so much money tied up in the secondary that we're not going to use a #1 on FS.

Conclusion - OLB is the biggest need that can be addressed with a first round pick.

Bizwah

Reaction score
I don't mind seeing us draft offense.

But exactly who will be there at 18 worth the pick?

Holmes?
Jackson?

I don't think so.....

You can't REACH for players. That's a huge mistake. We did that from 1995-2000. No, we've gotten a lot better drafting the BPA.

Next year should be a good year for offensive skill positions.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
YoMick said:
#10 in the NFL last year.

Added TO, Fabini, Kosier. Flo healthy, Johnson stronger, Rivera healthy, Petiti healthy, Hannam > Campbell.

Sounds like we are really in deep do doo.

btcutter

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
#10 in the NFL last year.

Added TO, Fabini, Kosier. Flo healthy, Johnson stronger, Rivera healthy, Petiti healthy, Hannam > Campbell.

Sounds like we are really in deep do doo.

I hope you are not relying on some ranking that is biased by few big offensive outbreaks early in the season. I think almost everyone on this board watched most of our games last yr and knows our OL probably allow most hits on our QB on this side of Texas (Carr wins that contest every yr). We stuggle tremendously opening holes for our RBs.
If we can only hold up abit better on OL we would have made the playoffs last yr. I am sure no one needs to reminded how predictable our O was except a few games. That info is not in the ranking but painfully obvious to everyone.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
YoMick said:

Old QB
Old WR's
Questions at RB
O-line

You are so right it's not even funny.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
btcutter said:
I hope you are not relying on some ranking that is biased by few big offensive outbreaks early in the season.
It takes more than a few big offensive outbreaks to reach #10. As for the line and it's blocking problems, you mean after Flo went down? Coincidence? I think not.

btcutter

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
It takes more than a few big offensive outbreaks to reach #10. As for the line and it's blocking problems, you mean after Flo went down? Coincidence? I think not.

Sure Flo's injury contributed to the downward spiral of the OL. However, don't kid yourself that if you believe a healthy Flo will solve all our OL problems. It takes a few game for the other D coordinators to figure out the deficiency of our OL. Rest....is history.

Again, are you willing to bank the season on this current OL? if you are, i got a bridge to sell you.