BPA? Shouldnt we be trying to get BEST Offensive Player not defensive?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
YoMick said:
We are in serious trouble on offense.

Old QB
Old WR's
Questions at RB
O-line

Why so much emphasis on defense?

If we dont address the draft for YOUTH on offense we will never get out of this Offensive funk we have been in for over a decade. Drafting offense(youth) worked before, we gotta get back to that, no?

no offensive player would be BPA at 18

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
#10 in the NFL last year.

Added TO, Fabini, Kosier. Flo healthy, Johnson stronger, Rivera healthy, Petiti healthy, Hannam > Campbell.

Sounds like we are really in deep do doo.

Much of our offensive production was very early in the season.

As far as I am concerned, the Adams injury was a big deal, but also like we have in every season Parcells has been here, we start like a shot out of the gate but by the end of the year, our offense is impotent.

The proof is in the pudding. That is a trend that cannot be ignored. We can fool teams and pick up chunks of yardage, but once teams figure it out, we don't adjust.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Much of our offensive production was very early in the season.

As far as I am concerned, the Adams injury was a big deal, but also like we have in every season Parcells has been here, we start like a shot out of the gate but by the end of the year, our offense is impotent.

The proof is in the pudding. That is a trend that cannot be ignored. We can fool teams and pick up chunks of yardage, but once teams figure it out, we don't adjust.

true, but TO and a healthy Terry Glenn, can go far to breaking that trend

lspain1

Reaction score
btcutter said:
Sure Flo's injury contributed to the downward spiral of the OL. However, don't kid yourself that if you believe a healthy Flo will solve all our OL problems. It takes a few game for the other D coordinators to figure out the deficiency of our OL. Rest....is history.

Again, are you willing to bank the season on this current OL? if you are, i got a bridge to sell you.

Btcutter is right. Our OL was inconsistent before Flo went down and we were having trouble running the football.

BUT....

Btcutter, there are usually a couple of OL types who go high in the first round who are dominant physical specmens and who can be immediate impact players. The Cowboys draft too low to get those guys. The rest of the good OL folks usually slip into the 2nd & 3rd rounds because they need time to develop and won't make an impact right away. Columbo is a good example of an OL who was drafted in the 1st round. The Bears wanted him to be an impact player right away. However, reading articles about him at that time, it seemed like he was going to need some time to develop into that type of player even before he was hurt.

That means any OL we draft this year, is likely to fall into the category of depth who will get a year (or two) to develop before they are really expected to challenge for a starting spot. I think the Cowboys will draft OL players this year and begin to develop them. They have really been trying to do this all along. Things just haven't worked out. The moves the Cowboys have made on the OL have included younger players as well (Kosier and Columbo).

So, if my team is trying to go to the Super Bowl this year (and make no mistake, that is the goal), do I draft a player who can make an immediate impact on defense at OLB or do I draft a player who is going to require development and will make an impact next year or the year after? The answer is obvious. I am not stating that this is a good long term strategy, but the approach makes sense for what they are trying to accomplish right now.

btcutter

Reaction score
lspain1 said:
Btcutter is right. Our OL was inconsistent before Flo went down and we were having trouble running the football.

BUT....

Btcutter, there are usually a couple of OL types who go high in the first round who are dominant physical specmens and who can be immediate impact players. The Cowboys draft too low to get those guys. The rest of the good OL folks usually slip into the 2nd & 3rd rounds because they need time to develop and won't make an impact right away. Columbo is a good example of an OL who was drafted in the 1st round. The Bears wanted him to be an impact player right away. However, reading articles about him at that time, it seemed like he was going to need some time to develop into that type of player even before he was hurt.

That means any OL we draft this year, is likely to fall into the category of depth who will get a year (or two) to develop before they are really expected to challenge for a starting spot. I think the Cowboys will draft OL players this year and begin to develop them. They have really been trying to do this all along. Things just haven't worked out. The moves the Cowboys have made on the OL have included younger players as well (Kosier and Columbo).

So, if my team is trying to go to the Super Bowl this year (and make no mistake, that is the goal), do I draft a player who can make an immediate impact on defense at OLB or do I draft a player who is going to require development and will make an impact next year or the year after? The answer is obvious. I am not stating that this is a good long term strategy, but the approach makes sense for what they are trying to accomplish right now.

I don't dispute what you are saying.

However, 1st round bust rates for OL is significantly lower than any other position. But that still doesn't mean we need to pick OL in the first. I don't mind at all if a impact OLB or BPA is picked in the 1st. With that said, we need to focus quite abit of our draft on OL in 2-7 (not every pick of course).

I would be estatic if we trade down to bottom of the 1st and pick up an extra 3rd. Then we really got some ammo to pick up OL and S in 2nd and 3rd.