News: BR: Execs Say Ezekiel Elliott Must Be Top Priority for Dallas over Prescott, Cooper

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Zeke is not just any guy. The people who continue to suggest he is, and that paying him will be a mistake, are wrong.
So how do you explain the life expectancy of RB vs QB and how that fits into the equation?

blueblood70

Reaction score
So how do you explain the life expectancy of RB vs QB and how that fits into the equation?
emmitt outlasted aikman , did he not? zeke doesnt seem injury prone at this point..so if Gurley and Bell can get paid Zeke has an argument for something's similar given hes arguably the best player on the team , at least top 3..

Romo was a RB was he? just saying its football theres always risk..getting Zeke some REAL Backups to tak some snaps and get him rested for BIG games or BIG moments is KEY..

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
emmitt outlasted aikman , did he not? zeke doesnt seem injury prone at this point..so if Gurley and Bell can get paid Zeke has an argument for something's similar given hes arguably the best player on the team , at least top 3..

Romo was a RB was he? just saying its football theres always risk..getting Zeke some REAL Backups to tak some snaps and get him rested for BIG games or BIG moments is KEY..
You obviously never watched Emmitt play. He hardly ever got hit. It was one of his greatest attributes. Zeke on the other hand looks for contact. Educate yourself before posting something so ignorant.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score

The way Gurley broke down last season would give me a little pause, not confidence.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score

Emmitt Smith. Not the fastest, or biggest. How did that happen?

When you say one size fits all, you are setting yourself up for a shock.

The pat answer is this bromide of RB's wearing out. But there are those players that transcend the norm. I believe Zeke is one of those players.

I am not a stats guy, but in the first three years Zeke has 180 less yards than Emmitt in 4 less games. As he matures he will understand longevity will require stepping out of bounds instead of taking on direct hits.

BY the way, Emmitt had more carries too.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Emmitt Smith. Not the fastest, or biggest. How did that happen?

When you say one size fits all, you are setting yourself up for a shock.

The pat answer is this bromide of RB's wearing out. But there are those players that transcend the norm. I believe Zeke is one of those players.

I am not a stats guy, but in the first three years Zeke has 180 less yards than Emmitt in 4 less games. As he matures he will understand longevity will require stepping out of bounds instead of taking on direct hits.

BY the way, Emmitt had more carries too.
Show me a modern day RB that runs like Zeke who’s lasted as long as Emmitt. I hope you’re right, but the odds are way way against him.

HungryLion

Reaction score

I honestly think that if you re-sign Zeke now. He will still be productive until the end of his contract. A 5 year deal now, makes Zeke 28 on the last year of his contract.

Dak meanwhile will probbaly be the QB another 10+ years. But that will be over the life of at least 2 more contracts. IMO.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Show me a modern day RB that runs like Zeke who’s lasted as long as Emmitt. I hope you’re right, but the odds are way way against him.

Frank Gore comes to mind as the closest comparison. He is/was not as talented as Zeke but has a similar running style.....I think.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ya can't compare pre cap days with how a team is built today. You also have to consider how the game has been set up to favor the pass game, the NFL doesn't want star RB's, that doesn't bring in the viewers.

Unless the cap jumps significantly over the next few years, any team paying a RB top 5 money is going to struggle unless they've got an inordinate number of starters on 1st contracts. Look at the Cowboys and their 1st contract players that are getting ready to go onto their 2nd. DE, QB, WR, RB, LB, CB and a high priced OL. They are now entering troubled waters.

Unless that RB moves that TD needle up toward the 15 mark, he's not worth it. Emmitt had 1 out 7 year's in his first 7 with < double digit TD.s It is not about yards, it is about points.

cern

Reaction score
You obviously never watched Emmitt play. He hardly ever got hit. It was one of his greatest attributes. Zeke on the other hand looks for contact. Educate yourself before posting something so ignorant.
Zeke LOOKS for contact? This is a ludicrous assertion. Talk about posting something that makes no sense.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score

"But the odds are....."

And this is where you are stuck in a truism that is not 100% true. These thoughts by professional coaches are seldom laid out with the thinking behind them.

Is it true that RB's get beat up? Sure. But then ask yourself why does a guy like Deion in his heyday run so much faster than everyone else? And it comes down to something you can't actually quantify, but it innate in that player.

Tom Brady has two distinct abilities which make him the best. One is quickness of recognition. The second is accuracy. There is a third but I don't attribute this to an ability as much as an understanding, which is he takes what is offered. He doesn't risk much at all. But these things set him apart.

Surely other QB's have had these abilities. But Brady is the best - I hate saying that, by the way.

Zeke is not only a gifted and innate runner. But he is also a big man. I just see something in him that I don't see in other RB's. That could be because he is a Cowboy. Which means I watch him run more than others. But he has this bounce off tacklers ability and to hop back up. Somewhat like Emmitt.

This is opinion. But I do believe holding onto a "fact" of football is sometimes a mistake. And in this case - especially if the Dallas line returns to Zeke's rookie season and that is possible because of depth - we could see Zeke own this league again.

I'll cite something I have come accustomed to tossing out.

No running back ever won the season rushing title and then went on and won the Super Bowl. Ever. Until Emmitt did it three times. The sports press lived on that theory as he took the rushing title.

Emmitt said, "Here, hold my beer."

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Rockport

Emmitt was a modern day RB.

Zeke doesn't shy away from contact, but look for contact is at cross purposes of what running backs do.

They run to daylight. Not traffic jams.