BR: Former Cowboys DE Aldon Smith Arrested on Felony Charge of DUI Causing Injury

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yes, he certainly was. It's a shame, and society should really do better about dealing with mental health. I think he's got an illness. I think the weed and alcohol were ways he's trying to cope with what's bothering him. I hope he can get good help.

He’s definitely got an illness, he had a pretty lengthy rap sheet. He’s lucky he got another opportunity in the NFL after some of the crimes he committed. I remember he made a threat at an airport claiming he had a bomb. People have tried to help him but he keeps falling back into the same cycle.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
He’s definitely got an illness, he had a pretty lengthy rap sheet. He’s lucky he got another opportunity in the NFL after some of the crimes he committed. I remember he made a threat at an airport claiming he had a bomb. People have tried to help him but he keeps falling back into the same cycle.

I recall that as well. I think he needs intense help. A place where he can get meds in order and get the help he really needs. Maybe an international mental health place.
The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH), Canada is a place that could help him. According to https://medicaltravelmarket.com/news/6-distinctive-mental-health-treatment-providers, the hospital is rated number one in Canada for several years in a row, the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health is one of the best mental health research hospitals in the world and boasts innovations in personalised medicine, brain stimulation, and geriatric mental health. Because Aldon Smith has had apparent addition issues and mental health issues, this may be a place he should go to get his mental health sorted out.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I recall that as well. I think he needs intense help. A place where he can get meds in order and get the help he really needs. Maybe an international mental health place.
The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH), Canada is a place that could help him. According to https://medicaltravelmarket.com/news/6-distinctive-mental-health-treatment-providers, the hospital is rated number one in Canada for several years in a row, the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health is one of the best mental health research hospitals in the world and boasts innovations in personalised medicine, brain stimulation, and geriatric mental health. Because Aldon Smith has had apparent addition issues and mental health issues, this may be a place he should go to get his mental health sorted out.

I suggest this because I remember when Peyton Manning went to I think Germany with his neck issues. This extended his career a couple years. Maybe Aldon could do something similar.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

I will suggest this as well as something that can help Aldon:

The Kusnacht Practice, Zurich’s Gold Coast, Switzerland

Widely regarded as the most exclusive mental health treatment facility in Europe, the Kusnacht Practice is renowned as a global leader in treating addiction and mental health disorders. Each guest is treated in their own private five-star villa and provided with the highest confidentiality, professionalism, and care standards. The Practice focuses on individualised client care and tailor-made treatments delivered by unparalleled medical experts in sophisticated surroundings with stunning views. The clinic is famous for treating anxiety, depression, burnout, stress, sleeping disorders, eating disorders and behavioural and substance dependency.

With how serious his health issues are mentally, I could see Aldon being brought in here, and, well, Switzerland is a beautiful country. I think the beauty that Switzerland is can be a relaxing way to help Aldon.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This guy is destined for prison is some form or fashion, might be best to get the help he needs :huh:

Well, he's been incarcerated prior I think with other issues. I don't think incarceration is what he needs with his past. I think he really needs serious assistance. In his case, I worry that he could end up dead soon. He's not a well person. Prisons can be helpful to correct behaviors, but they are not the best when it comes to helping serious mental health issues. I think this country needs to revisit this aspect. There is nothing wrong with mental health places to help those with serious addictions and serious issues. Places that are dedicated like the two I mentioned that can help someone like Aldon really get to the bottom of his problems and turn him around. Maybe teach him things that he can do to get better and skills to help him take his mind away, any time he gets those temptations.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well, he's been incarcerated prior I think with other issues. I don't think incarceration is what he needs with his past. I think he really needs serious assistance. In his case, I worry that he could end up dead soon. He's not a well person. Prisons can be helpful to correct behaviors, but they are not the best when it comes to helping serious mental health issues. I think this country needs to revisit this aspect. There is nothing wrong with mental health places to help those with serious addictions and serious issues. Places that are dedicated like the two I mentioned that can help someone like Aldon really get to the bottom of his problems and turn him around. Maybe teach him things that he can do to get better and skills to help him take his mind away, any time he gets those temptations.

I get what you are saying but he can’t continue to commit crimes, avoid jail time and go put his feet up in an institution in Canada or Switzerland. If he avoids these charges, then he should get committed somewhere for mental help but it in no way should override his crimes.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
He will be sober for quite a while if convicted

Maybe by society's definition, but what happens when he's released? If he doesn't get the help he needs, I think it will be much worse. I think in some cases like this, mental health facilities with top notch care is what is needed. Otherwise, all you are doing is making a turnstile at the prisons because they'll keep on back without addressing the core issues. It's why I think the places in Switzerland or Canada that I suggested would be better. Send him somewhere where mental health professionals can help him with intense care and be able to monitor him easily. I think curing or allowing him a useful cathartic exercise can be the difference between him entering that prison cycle or killing someone and him turning his life around.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

I bet he copuld learn wood crafts and macrame!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I get what you are saying but he can’t continue to commit crimes, avoid jail time and go put his feet up in an institution in Canada or Switzerland. If he avoids these charges, then he should get committed somewhere for mental help but it in no way should override his crimes.

There is a way to accomplish both. There are insanity pleas and there are pleas where he can be sentenced to mental health institutions instead of prisons. Were I in the judge's situation here, I'd order him to a place like what I mentioned and obtain the health. He'd essentially be incarcerated while also being treated. I think this would make the difference. I think he should be held accountable with the injury/injuries that he caused. Though, prison in his case might create a disastrous cycle. I think getting him help this way may rescue people that would be in his path without sufficient help.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I bet he copuld learn wood crafts and macrame!

I'm talking about something that he could learn job skills and ways to relieve his concerns and health in a way that helps him. I don't know what that may be, and I pray he gets what help he needs. That said, there's something deeply problematic with Aldon I think. He needs something that I don't think prison can help him with.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I'm talking about something that he could learn job skills and ways to relieve his concerns and health in a way that helps him. I don't know what that may be, and I pray he gets what help he needs. That said, there's something deeply problematic with Aldon I think. He needs something that I don't think prison can help him with.

Love and acceptance of him is the first step, old boy.

RaZon

Reaction score
I have seen him interviewed a few times, he comes off as having a hell of a lot more sense than to do the things he does. I would go with serious alcohol problems over a mental health thing.

Yep, the classic......what could have been,

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Love and acceptance of him is the first step, old boy.

He does need the former of what you said. I think the consequences of actions should depend on what best suits the crime and the person. Just simply throwing a person in prison doesn't always work. There's a reason why the US has the 3rd highest rates (https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/recidivism-rates-by-country) of recidivism in the world. It's because prisons are thought to be the 1 stop shop place to punish, correct, and fix people. I think creating alternates that can dig deeper into a person can help change this.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Alcohol is the devil! Weed is also the devil that makes one play the piano really fast!
The devil is not real. He's just a made up boogie monster. A symbol of mankind's inability to control themselves. We created the devil, so we could have someone to blame for our ignorance and stupidity.