BR: NFL Rumors: Competition Committee 'Aligned' on Changing Rule for Hip-Drop Tackles

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

NFL Rumors: Competition Committee 'Aligned' on Changing Rule for Hip-Drop Tackles​

ANDREW PETERSFEBRUARY 25, 2024

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA - FEBRUARY 11: A detail view of the NFL shield logo painted on the field before the NFL Super Bowl LVIII football game between the Kansas City Chiefs and San Francisco 49ers at Allegiant Stadium on February 11, 2024 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Ryan Kang/Getty Images)

Ryan Kang/Getty Images

The NFL Competition Committee is reportedly working to remove hip-drop tackles with a new rule, per NFL.com's Judy Battista.

According to Battista, the committee is "aligned" on getting rid of hip-drop tackles but is still working on figuring out the right language for the new rule.

https://syndication-bleacherreport-...7089349464602&referrer=https://www.google.com

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
That’s good. Anything that promotes player safety. Seeing TP get his leg broken and how it affected his play was rough. Injuries like that can alter careers, keep guys from getting contracts.
Agreed. That's also how Dak had his leg broken at a 90° compound fracture. Almost cost him his career. Numerous other teams' players have suffered serious injuries due to such a dangerous way of tackling. It's worse than a horse collar.

jwitten82

Reaction score

NFL Rumors: Competition Committee 'Aligned' on Changing Rule for Hip-Drop Tackles​

ANDREW PETERSFEBRUARY 25, 2024

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA - FEBRUARY 11: A detail view of the NFL shield logo painted on the field before the NFL Super Bowl LVIII football game between the Kansas City Chiefs and San Francisco 49ers at Allegiant Stadium on February 11, 2024 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Ryan Kang/Getty Images)

Ryan Kang/Getty Images

The NFL Competition Committee is reportedly working to remove hip-drop tackles with a new rule, per NFL.com's Judy Battista.

According to Battista, the committee is "aligned" on getting rid of hip-drop tackles but is still working on figuring out the right language for the new rule.

https://syndication-bleacherreport-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10110645-nfl-rumors-competition-committee-aligned-on-changing-rule-for-hip-drop-tackles.amp.html?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a9&usqp=mq331AQIUAKwASCAAgM=#amp_tf=From %1$s&aoh=17089349464602&referrer=https://www.google.com
So what's the alternative to a smaller player tackling a bigger player from behind? Just get dragged?.... You obviously never played, and you'll be one of the main ones complaining next season about too many flags

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I'm all for removing the tackle, I'm just skeptical its going to happen effectively. Has to be tough to find the right wording on the rule and allow for a suitable replacement tackle. I would assume those tackles from behind are going to have to have some sort of rolling motion associated with it? I'll reserve judgement until I see what the committee actually comes up with.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So what's the alternative to a smaller player tackling a bigger player from behind? Just get dragged?.... You obviously never played, and you'll be one of the main ones complaining next season about too many flags
Instruction must have changed since I played, although I never played college ball. My coaches instructed to tackle either:
  • go chest high, wrapped up upper body, facemask up (see what I'm hitting), drive through or
  • go waist low, wrapped up thighs, facemask up (drilled that into us), drive through, pull the ball carrier down, using both your weight and strength. Never slide the hold pass the knees.
Perhaps we always had enough players who could execute tackling that way because players too light and could not execute did not see the field often until they could. That was late 70's and early 80's for me.

Nowadays, it is really common seeing tacklers sliding the hold down the legs or just straight out going for the runner's ankles. Not sure what my coaches would have said about the former but they always said going too low for a tackle would likely result in a missed tackle.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
That’s good. Anything that promotes player safety. Seeing TP get his leg broken and how it affected his play was rough. Injuries like that can alter careers, keep guys from getting contracts.
It ended the playoff game. SF knew what they were doing and that was their intent.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Instruction must have changed since I played, although I never played college ball. My coaches instructed to tackle either:
  • go chest high, wrapped up upper body, facemask up (see what I'm hitting), drive through or
  • go waist low, wrapped up thighs, facemask up (drilled that into us), drive through, pull the ball carrier down, using both your weight and strength. Never slide the hold pass the knees.
Perhaps we always had enough players who could execute tackling that way because players too light and could not execute did not see the field often until they could. That was late 70's and early 80's for me.

Nowadays, it is really common seeing tacklers sliding the hold down the legs or just straight out going for the runner's ankles. Not sure what my coaches would have said about the former but they always said going too low for a tackle would likely result in a missed tackle.
I was that light CB chasing down bigger backs and WR's from behind. I always stayed away from the knees, but sometimes it came down to either being dragged down the field or using my body weight to get the guy on the ground. Back then it was just football. Nobody ever got hurt, or complained. Got tackled that way plenty of times, as scat back/WR.

I never got All State honorable mention though, so what do I know....

calico

Reaction score
Just put flags on them already and get it over with already. NFL football is a poor product as is and only getting worse.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
H-m-m, this new info is apparently living proof that the NFL's version of pro football is getting more complicated than ever. In a real way, this new rule figures to be quite necessary, although, painfully likely to increase the length of games and their complexity. It's both good and bad, imho. I guess we'll see how this new idea works out in time. Here's hoping it works out in a reasonably helpful way. The players are definitely deserving of ensuring their safety, as much as humanly possible.

Last edited:

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Lol! He was all state in Texas....it Monday morning and you're already in attack mode. Jeez!

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
This will be impossible to call consistently.
How it’s worded will be very interesting. If it’s anything to do with leaving your feet and using your body weight to tackle a player then lots of non-hip drops will be affected

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
H-m-m, this new info is apparently living proof that the NFL's version of pro football is getting more complicated than ever. In a real way, this new rule figures to be quite necessary, although, painfully likely to increase the length of games and their complexity. It's both good and bad, imho. I guess we'll see how this new idea works out in time. Here's hoping it works out in a reasonably helpful way. The players are definitely deserving of ensuring their safety, as much as humanly possible.
Players make huge money...owners need to protect their investments. Noy really a fan of some of these rules, but I can see why they do it.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Just put flags on them already and get it over with already. NFL football is a poor product as is and only getting worse.
That is being said on an ever-increasingly frequent basis within the last several years. There's no question but what flag football is destined to be a universal sport in the upcoming Olympics. Of course, whether it replaces pro football, as it now exists, is yet something to be proven. The pro games' purists, as they now exist, aren't likely to be dismissed without serious objections to be considered. That situation will prove interesting.

Last edited:

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I'm all for removing the tackle, I'm just skeptical its going to happen effectively. Has to be tough to find the right wording on the rule and allow for a suitable replacement tackle. I would assume those tackles from behind are going to have to have some sort of rolling motion associated with it? I'll reserve judgement until I see what the committee actually comes up with.
Thats fine. There will be growing pains getting it right. Hopefully refs dont get so loose with it that it effects out comes of games.

My personal opinion on this safety stuff is...call the penalties even if its a gray area. Just call the damn things loosely but not so loosely its effecting outcomes of games.

After a year or two players will miraculously not do the tackle as much anymore for fear of penalty.

Growing pains will suck with the flags...but who wants their leg snapped when it could be avoidable.

In a couple of years refs and players will have it down and the game will be safer for it