BR: NFL Rumors: Competition Committee 'Aligned' on Changing Rule for Hip-Drop Tackles

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
There's always a balance between entertainment and player safety - no one here would watch flag football. But banning one uncommon type of tackle that leads to 30x higher injury rates is a fair removal in the name of safety.

shabazz

Reaction score
This seemed like a popular topic when I started a couple of threads about it during the season. Everyone want to see something done.
Its a great topic but I can see some questionable calls coming up. If one was to watch a video of these tackles it goes from the flagrant to the questionable so I hope they will review them in real time so no games are incorrectly decided by them

The horse collar rules just seems so much more cut and dry than this one....

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Lol! He was all state in Texas....it Monday morning and you're already in attack mode. Jeez!
And you personally witnessed that? Or, is that something that he says and you believe it. If that is true, then you must know the semi-pro football team he played on also, huh? Or is that something he says and something you believe? Yeah, right!

careful the rat is running

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
So what's the alternative to a smaller player tackling a bigger player from behind? Just get dragged?.... You obviously never played, and you'll be one of the main ones complaining next season about too many flags
Hip drop tackles are completely trash and have zero to do with size.
It is quite easy to tackle larger people from the side or behind if you are fast enough to get there.
Shoulderpad to hipbone and arms wrapped at knee level and lift.
From behind they aren't going to stiff arm you.
See Christan Harris tackle of Derrick Henry this year.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...ans-free-agent-star-derrick-henry/ar-BB1ip5cF
He was slightly higher but also went for the ball hand.

NFL says injury rate on hip-drop tackles is 20-25 times that of other tackles.​

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Take the stupid tackle out of the game.

The nature of the game and the speed and dimension fo the palyers has changed so much that current fans who call it flag football have actually no idea how painful and debilitating it is ti suffer this type of an injury.

Back in my day we called this the steer wrestling technique. Get leverage, wrap up and then drop all your weight like a stone.

You affect momentum, speed and if the player tries to fight out of the tackle it will transfer your weight (load) in combination with his force, and something soft or weak is going to give out.

For those who think it is flag football they need to hear a person's leg snap.

Most tackles with a dead weight wrap around the torso from behind should be investigated to create the ruling. If your tackle cannot stop miomentum immediately the risk goes up for the person being tackled.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
There's always a balance between entertainment and player safety - no one here would watch flag football. But banning one uncommon type of tackle that leads to 30x higher injury rates is a fair removal in the name of safety.
My opinion is no fan will change their opinion until we start seeing around hondred to two hundred players in boht pro and college football succumbing to these injuries.

Better if we have weekly injury displays on the order of a Joe Theismann level.

Whe it comes to chagning fans minds about high risk injuries I have been arguing for game improvement, but I am left with beleiving that we need gruesome an unwatchable events to chagne people's minds or make kids and young to stop playing the game because their parents are fearful of the results.

coult44

Reaction score
Instruction must have changed since I played, although I never played college ball. My coaches instructed to tackle either:
  • go chest high, wrapped up upper body, facemask up (see what I'm hitting), drive through or
  • go waist low, wrapped up thighs, facemask up (drilled that into us), drive through, pull the ball carrier down, using both your weight and strength. Never slide the hold pass the knees.
Perhaps we always had enough players who could execute tackling that way because players too light and could not execute did not see the field often until they could. That was late 70's and early 80's for me.

Nowadays, it is really common seeing tacklers sliding the hold down the legs or just straight out going for the runner's ankles. Not sure what my coaches would have said about the former but they always said going too low for a tackle would likely result in a missed tackle.
Pete Carroll and his staff started teaching this tackle during the LOB days. I even went to some HS coaching clinics that were focused player safety, where this tackle was being implemented. It’s not 100% exact, , but it’s the same philosophy with defensive leverage being the key wording .

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Good. The tackle is dangerous. Yes, there will be times they get it wrong. I'm fine with that. Heck, frankly that will lead to booth overrides and expedited review.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
It’s the right stance it’s a dangerous tackle and can definitely alter careers. I would think stopping forward progress is going to be a heavy emphasis if you can’t get the guy down so you avoid a penalty.