News: BR: Tony Pollard: "I thought I would probably have a better year than I am now"

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Its definitely different being the lead runner vs the complimentary runner, but would also say I was expecting a little more from Pollard too. Hopefully he can find it in the post season.

At this point you wonder a bit where that leaves his contract status, but he's definitely not making anything close to what he made this year. Maybe around 1/3?

T-RO

Reaction score
im sorry, forgive my stupidity, so how was the longevity of RBs affected by the coaches paying attention to analytics?
Until the last decade Gms and coaches had emotional bias in favor of name and reputation. That is going away, and these decision-makers are more objective. These players are getting less money, and seeing their career duration shorten.

Emmitt was largely mediocre the last 1/3 of his career, yet he was getting big bucks and lots of carries. Backs just aren't going to stay on rosters so long. (Diminished career longevity)

Surfguy

Reaction score
It's been a disappointing display of how to run a football. How we overcome it in the playoffs is going to be problematic. I don't think you just magically turn it on for the playoffs but we'll see I guess. I expect a disappearing act.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Its definitely different being the lead runner vs the complimentary runner, but would also say I was expecting a little more from Pollard too. Hopefully he can find it in the post season.

At this point you wonder a bit where that leaves his contract status, but he's definitely not making anything close to what he made this year. Maybe around 1/3?
He’s had success in the past as a lead runner before this year when Zeke has been out.

The reality is the Offensive Line can’t run block.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It's been a disappointing display of how to run a football. How we overcome it in the playoffs is going to be problematic. I don't think you just magically turn it on for the playoffs but we'll see I guess. I expect a disappearing act.
We play the same football we’ve been playing that got us the #2 seed.

We aren’t a running team.

We are a score first and apply pressure with our defense team. If we don’t do that we will be in trouble.

We’ve had great run games in the past and have Jack squat to show for it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I actually wanted a TE with either our first or second pick because we lost Schultz, and the jury was still out on Ferguson and Hendershot. I wanted either Dalton Kincaid or Sam Laporta. When we selected Schoonmaker I almost fell off my chair. :mad: He was the last TE I expected us to take. Even the ESPN draft panel didn’t sound thrilled with the pick. The first thing Kiper said was that he wasn’t a very skilled receiver. We could have drafted a blocking TE later in the draft. There was no reason to reach for a TE that high when we had a couple of promising young TEs. The Schoomaker pick was a huge mistake. However, had we taken a back we may have ended up with one of the other RBs that went ahead of Achane who haven’t done anything.
Just so glad we didn’t select that scrub Mayer from Notre Dame with a premium pick.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Look at it this way, TP. There is no now. What you mean by now is "had this year " Now is everything from the next game forward--into the playoffs.

Like I said, still time to turn it around, my man.

kskboys

Reaction score
We didn't. Most of us. This is about what I thought would happen.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Maybe I'm having trouble connecting the dots here. Only Robinson and Gibbs were first-rounders. We might could have gotten Charbonnet with a slight trade-up, but we could have taken Spears or Achane with our second-round pick or perhaps even with a slight trade-down. We just did not value taking a back.
Whoever we took probably would have provided more than Schoonmaker.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I actually wanted a TE with either our first or second pick because we lost Schultz, and the jury was still out on Ferguson and Hendershot. I wanted either Dalton Kincaid or Sam Laporta. When we selected Schoonmaker I almost fell off my chair. :mad: He was the last TE I expected us to take. Even the ESPN draft panel didn’t sound thrilled with the pick.
ESPN didn't like the pick because they didn't understand the pick. He will be fine.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
ESPN didn't like the pick because they didn't understand the pick. He will be fine.
No one understood it and most still don’t understand it. He won’t amount to much and will be gone before or after his rookie deal is up.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
I think he’s one of the better 3rd down backs. If Rico or someone else could carry the load, Pollard can mop up on third down. I’d like to see him on the passing game too, but he’s not as explosive if he’s a 3 down back. Dallas needs a big every down back, I’m not sure that’s a 1st or 2nd rounder, I’d go OL first, but a good 3rd round RB/Rico with Pollard as the 3rd down back makes a lot more sense.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Schoon is a dime a dozen talent that we could’ve acquired in Free Agency.
Based on what? He got drafted just 8 months ago and I guess everyone forgot he got hurt. Remember all those threads saying he wasn't going to get on the field at all this year? Yeah good times.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Based on what? He got drafted just 8 months ago and I guess everyone forgot he got hurt. Remember all those threads saying he wasn't going to get on the field at all this year? Yeah good times.
He’s just a tall stiff blocking TE that goes down easy.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He’s had success in the past as a lead runner before this year when Zeke has been out.

The reality is the Offensive Line can’t run block.
Never a lead runner before this year.

A couple games or sharing the title out of technicalities...doesn't count.

This his first season, and for one reason or another or several, we are somewhat disappointed.

I will take Tony's opinion over yours in this regard

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Whoever we took probably would have provided more than Schoonmaker.
True, whether at RB or another position. I just didn't feel like TE was as big a need as the staff did. I know that we let our starter walk, but I liked what I saw from Ferguson and Hendershot. Now, they could have regressed, but I felt between the two that one would be a decent contributor. Plus, Schoonmaker just wasn't the clear upgrade that you want when taking a player in the second.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he’s one of the better 3rd down backs. If Rico or someone else could carry the load, Pollard can mop up on third down. I’d like to see him on the passing game too, but he’s not as explosive if he’s a 3 down back. Dallas needs a big every down back, I’m not sure that’s a 1st or 2nd rounder, I’d go OL first, but a good 3rd round RB/Rico with Pollard as the 3rd down back makes a lot more sense.
We have to fix the o line 1st. Any other changes without that will result in more if the same..

CCBoy

Reaction score
Pollard seeking rare 1,000-yard club – If Tony Pollard can get 65 rushing yards on Sunday – something he's done five times this year – he would hit the 1,000-yard mark for the regular season. Pollard would become the sixth player in franchise history to have consecutive 1,000-yard seasons, joining Calvin Hill, Tony Dorsett, Emmitt Smith, DeMarco Murray and Ezekiel Elliott.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/big-facts-dak-prescott-quickest-to-200-passing-tds