Brady and Garrett or Bellichek and Dak?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We had greater coaching with Parcells who resurrected us from the 5-11 funk but still couldn’t win a playoff game without greater talent.

Jimmy went to Miami with less talent and couldnt come close to what he did in Dallas .

Belichick couldn’t duplicate in Cleveland what he has in NE. Carroll didn’t duplicate in NE what he has in Seattle . The list goes on with few exceptions.

Better schemes optimize the talent. But it all starts with the talent.Great coaching can build better teams but ultimately they still need the talent.

And how under our HC we’ve gone from a top 10 offense to a bottom tier offense and bottom tier defense to a top 10 defense. TALENT!!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We had greater coaching with Parcells who resurrected us from the 5-11 funk but still couldn’t win a playoff game without greater talent.

Jimmy went to Miami with less talent and couldnt come close to what he did in Dallas .

Belichick couldn’t duplicate in Cleveland what he has in NE. Carroll didn’t duplicate in NE what he has in Seattle . The list goes on with few exceptions.

Better schemes optimize the talent. But it all starts with the talent.Great coaching can build better teams but ultimately they still need the talent.

And how under our HC we’ve gone from a top 10 offense to a bottom tier offense and bottom tier defense to a top 10 defense. TALENT!!
:hammer:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And you guys do realize that Brady went 16-0, made the SB, Had 50 TD's/8 INT's and 4,800 yards, and had a QB rating of 117 the year before that with pretty much the same exact team?

Cassel with the same players went 11-5 and missed the playoffs. Had a 21 TD/11 INT ratio and threw for 3,600 yards. Derp.

I hate Garrett more than anyone, but give me the GOAT Tom Brady.

Belichek handles the defense. BRADY IS THE SYSTEM.
Well done.

Bill is a great defensive guru and manages the Cap well but they don’t go to 9 Super Bowls without Brady.

They’d be more of what they were with Cassel and what Bill was in Cleveland with Kosar.

Romotil45

Reaction score
This should be a good one. Lets assume this arrangement would be for a while, not one year stuff. Brady being younger of course.

Personally, that is a tough one for me.

Team, coaching, organizational flawlessness, salary cap perfection, scheme, teamed with Dak

Or

Best QB ever, almost a coordinator all on his own, proven champion combined with organizational dysfunction, horrid coaching, marginal talent acquisition.

In my opinion Belicheck would not coach Dak but would draft a new QB or get a proven vet for these reasons. 1. Dak lacks the velocity to fit the ball into tight windows. 2. Dak does not read defenses well and on occasion has thrown balls right at defenders ( he has thrown 3 this year right at defenders that were dropped ). 3. Dak is too risk adverse prob because he knows he lacks velocity, he does not attack 1:1 coverage against single high safetys unless it is game planned or specifically called by Linehan prob because he is too risk adverse and does not have enough confidence in his arm. 4. Dak does not anticipate well at all nor can he throw recievers open. So in my honest opinion this is a mute question Belicheck would not choose Dak to be his starting QB unless he had no other viable options.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Well done.

Bill is a great defensive guru and manages the Cap well but they don’t go to 9 Super Bowls without Brady.

They’d be more of what they were with Cassel and what Bill was in Cleveland with Kosar.

He was great with Cassel in NE and Kosar in Cleveland. I agree, not as good as with Brady in NE, but you're assuming he would have stuck with Cassel and Kosar.

How do you think the Patriots would have done with Romo vs the Cowboys with Brady?

CPanther95

Reaction score
He was great with Cassel in NE and Kosar in Cleveland. I agree, not as good as with Brady in NE, but you're assuming he would have stuck with Cassel and Kosar.

How do you think the Patriots would have done with Romo vs the Cowboys with Brady?

*Testaverde in Cleveland, not Kosar.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

It’s hard to say. With most of those defenses Romo and OL early on maybe not much better. Romo’s mobility helped in early years.

But 2007 Id definitely have liked our chances better with Brady. 2014 too. And maybe Brady protects himself better in 2016 preseason game so isn’t out in 2016?

Anytime we had a better overall team I’d of liked our chances with a greater QB.

As great of coach as Landry was and the teams he had we had more success with Staubach than we did Merideth, Morton and White. So, the level of talent at QB does matter even with the supporting cast and coaching.

Whenever in doubt , take the greater talent.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Well you had Aikman say you can't teach Accuracy when Jimmy Johnson was talking to him, and I didn't see Jimmy disagreeing with Aikman on that point. I'm sure Belicheat believes the same thing, since him and Jimmy brainstorm a lot and talk football. Anyway you didn't specify enough when you first posted the thread on the conditions, I viewed it as given this season what combo would you take. For the short term it Is Brady and Garrett and this cowboy's team all the way versus belicheat and Dak on the patriots. For the long term, I would take the coach because a good coach is better than any good player in the long term. Also there is the possibility that Belicheat would dump Dak after the first year. The patriots way, the quarterback is the one elite player, where everyone else can be roleplayers but because they are a well run organization those players there execute well. Minus the quarterback there are a lot more talented teams in the NFL than the patriots. 2007 was probably one of the few times that wasn't true.

No its what combo would you take for your franchise for the career type thing. Clarified that in a later post when someone asked the question.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I dont think it would matter! Not to take anything away from Belichick but Brady was easier to develop because of his natural talent. Garrett coached Romo until Romo realized he was going to have to take over the reigns early if he wanted to get anywhere. The difference between Brady and Romo is Brady has that clutch gene that you cant coach into a player. Dak has it too but he doesnt have enough physical arm talent to use it against good teams with good defenses.

Says who? You?

I see a guy with plenty of arm talent.

CPanther95

Reaction score
It’s hard to say. With most of those defenses Romo and OL early on maybe not much better.

But 2007 Id definitely have liked our chances better with Brady. 2014 too. And maybe Brady protects himself better in 2016 preseason game so isn’t out in 2016?

Anytime we had a better overall team I’d of liked our chances with a greater QB.

Of course Brady is better than Romo and would have given you a better chance.

The question is do you think Belichick would have been able to have success with Romo. Would Romo have rings?

I'm not knocking Brady, but if you ask me which of the two are more responsible for the Patriots dynasty I'll take Belichick - the guy that went 11-5 with both Cassel and Testaverde.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Of course Brady is better than Romo and would have given you a better chance.

The question is do you think Belichick would have been able to have success with Romo. Would Romo have rings?

I'm not knocking Brady, but if you ask me which of the two are more responsible for the Patriots dynasty I'll take Belichick - the guy that went 11-5 with both Cassel and Testaverde.
I’m not sure 11-5 with Cassel is a great arguing point since that was the defending World Champs? Cassel did go on to be a starting QB for several years.

Brady and Bill are a historic winning combination. Neither probably does as well without the other.

We have the history with Bill without Brady whereas we don’t with Brady without Bill so it’s mere speculation.

We do know Bill is a defensive guru. And he’s a winning HC without Brady. But beyond that again it’s mere speculation. I prefer to go with what we know.

But my hunch is Romo wouldn’t have Rings with the same rosters just adding Bill as HC. The difference would have been Bill’s building of the team around Romo could have made the difference.

Much like I would have liked Romo’s chances if Parcells would have stayed contnuing to build around him.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A coaches greatest asset is building the team in their vision to suit their schemes.

Belichick has done a masterful job of continuing to build a team around Brady. Especially within the Salary Cap era. But Brady optimises the weapons hes provided elevating everyone around him. And Bills schemes on defense aide the cause as well as his overall tough leadership.

But with the games on the line Brady is pure money unlike we’ve seen in NFL history. He does it time and time again. And with such ease we expect it. That under similar circumstances and supporting cast he could do anywhere.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Says who? You?

I see a guy with plenty of arm talent.
I think his arm is marginal and it will show through time that he won't be able to back off defenses. Like I said before he will win games but against the better defenses he will struggle.Time will tell.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think his arm is marginal and it will show through time that he won't be able to back off defenses. Like I said before he will win games but against the better defenses he will struggle.Time will tell.

Against better defenses he will struggle? You mean like any QB would?

If you watch closely, Dak plays better when its a more wideopen, hurry up type offense. When they spread the defense out with multiple receivers and he knows hes throwing the ball.

His legs, leadership, clutch, durability stuff is already top notch. Fix the line and his passing will improve organically. Better receiving weapons and more experience in the pocket and he will improve through experience.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The same Packers team that got absolutely cremated on National TV by the same Falcons Brady came back on? Not a great analogy.

It is definitely a great analogy, you referred to Dak as not being able to bring a team back from a deficit, and I gave proof that he did. What happened to Green Bay against Atlanta, and Atlanta against the Patriots is irrelevant. Please learn how to stay within context of content.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
You may not like it but Brady plays the most important position in all of sports and he is far and away the greatest to ever play the position. At this point no one else is even really that close. If you pick Dak and Bill it is IMHO because you hate red jesus and that is completely understandable.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
We would definitely benefit more with Belichick ...

Jimmy G was thought out to be a great QB , after playing with the Pats.