Brandon Aubrey Close to Doubling Previous NFL Record

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The previous record was 18 by Travis Coons of Cleveland in 2015.

Brandon Aubrey is now at 30. Six more and he will have doubled the previous NFL record.

Keep in mind that the NFL is now 103 years old. To not only break a record of a century old league, but to double that (or more) has got to be an ultra rare accomplishment in professional team sports.

Source: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...nsecutive-made-field-goals-to-start-a-career/
I'm proud that he was one of the players I suggested signing this offseason based on his two seasons in the USFL. Of course, I also wanted us to sign the other USFL kicker who had a good season or Brett Maher for competition. But Aubrey has worked out extremely well, and Fassel deserves credit for being all over him when all we had going into the preseason was Vizcaino.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Matches his straight kicks. The ball stays true off his foot, no hooks and no slices.
Right. The only times he's missed (the three PATs), he's overkicked the ball. The first one, I believe, was simply the nerves of playing his first NFL game. The other two, I believe, were just a result of getting ahead of his process because they were "easy" kicks. When he has been honed in on his process, his kicks are very true and have enough distance on him that he could probably make from 65 on some of them.

lopey

Reaction score
Love this kid. My pessimistic side wishes he misses a field goal soon an not in playoffs

Chasing6

Reaction score
Right. The only times he's missed (the three PATs), he's overkicked the ball. The first one, I believe, was simply the nerves of playing his first NFL game. The other two, I believe, were just a result of getting ahead of his process because they were "easy" kicks. When he has been honed in on his process, his kicks are very true and have enough distance on him that he could probably make from 65 on some of them.
Someone posted all three were after Defensive touchdowns. He was most likely out of his normal routine.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Someone posted all three were after Defensive touchdowns. He was most likely out of his normal routine.
That's possible. Maybe part of his process is the warm-up on the sideline before heading out to kick.

plasticman

Reaction score
The Cowboys were brilliant in recognizing the advantages of robot technology.

The way they replaced the inaccurate amateurish Aubrey with a mechanical Aubrey was seamless. Nobody even noticed except for me. I mean, the Cowboys hire a successful kicker a week before the regular season and he's perfect after 12 games? The preseason reports are that he was grossly inaccurate but then he hasn't missed a single field goal?

C'mon, that never happens to the Cowboys. When they show a closeup Aubrey looks like a Ken doll, another clue.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Aubrey, meanwhile, landed attempts from 60, 59, 45 and 50 yards, becoming the first kicker in NFL history to make two field goals of 59 yards or longer in one game.

He also has the all-time record of the highest average 4 FG game at 53.5 yards.
The kid is a kicking phenom.

rambo2

Reaction score

Brandon Aubrey is now at 30. Six more and he will have doubled the previous NFL record.

Keep in mind that the NFL is now 103 years old. To not only break a record of a century old league, but to double that (or more) has got to be an ultra rare accomplishment in professional team sports.

Source: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...nsecutive-made-field-goals-to-start-a-career/
Interesting that this team is doing multiple things that haven't been done before.

Motorola

Reaction score
Man, I just hope we don't get a Mark Moseley situation where he could not miss until he missed the most important kick of the season
That was actually Gary Anderson of the Minnesota Vikings.
He made every FG and PAT during the 1998 regular season and on into the playoffs before missing an FG attempt that would have given the Vikings a 10-point lead late in the 4th quarter of the NFC Championship game over the Atlanta Falcons. Atlanta scored a TD on its last possession to tie the game and send it to overtime, then the Falcons' Morten Andersen kicked the winning FG to defeat the Vikings and go on to Super Bowl XXXIII.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The crazy is that those kicks last night were right down the middle and could have cleared from 10 more yards. Amazing kicker.

Mark

Reaction score
Now, if something can be done about those extra points (Aubrey is ranked 27th in the League in XP%). Good thing they haven't been needed. :cool:

What a great find (and story) Aubrey has been this year.

(Harrison Butker (KC) is perfect this season across the board, albeit 29 pts. behind Aubrey.)

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Sure his leg is impressive, but for an NFL kicker, the mental part of the game is the most fragile. Coming in as a rookie makes this even more impressive. Aubrey is a good one.

rambo2

Reaction score
That was actually Gary Anderson of the Minnesota Vikings.
He made every FG and PAT during the 1998 regular season and on into the playoffs before missing an FG attempt that would have given the Vikings a 10-point lead late in the 4th quarter of the NFC Championship game over the Atlanta Falcons. Atlanta scored a TD on its last possession to tie the game and send it to overtime, then the Falcons' Morten Andersen kicked the winning FG to defeat the Vikings and go on to Super Bowl XXXIII.
The Vikings have exactly 0 Super Bowl wins to go with the 0 degree weather.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

IMG-0435.jpg