Braylon Edwards or Mike Williams. Mock Draft???

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
If the draft shook out like this, I don't see how we could pass on MIke Williams with this pick. I would be absolutly sick if that happened.

http://www.profootballdraft.com/editordraft01.php

Braylon Edwards stretches the field better than Williams does. Close call but I'm going with the faster Edwards.

This most only be SR's. Now way SF goes with Rolle over Lienart and Rogers and no way Orten gets picked before either one of them.

Although I wouldn't be upset to see Dallas go with defense with the two 1st and hope that Terrance Murphy finds his way to the 2nd.

Kevlee06

Reaction score
Mike Williams' body control/hands/size negate any speed advantage that Edwards might hold. Plain and simple. As a freshman Williams was a better player than Edwards is RIGHT NOW. Imagine what kind of player he is gonna be.
Stay away from Michigan WR's PLEASE Cowboys.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Kevlee06 said:
Mike Williams' body control/hands/size negate any speed advantage that Edwards might hold. Plain and simple. As a freshman Williams was a better player than Edwards is RIGHT NOW. Imagine what kind of player he is gonna be.
I couldn't agree more.

Michigan fans do not like Braylon Edwards. That ought to send up huge red flags.

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
Kevlee06 said:

We'll agree to disagree but you must not have seen much of Edwards the last few years. And that speed advantage will go along way when trying to get separation from the better athletes in the NFL which Williams hasn't been able to do very well.

Here's a mock draft that includes underclass men

1 San Francisco *Matt Leinart QB Southern California
2 Miami *Aaron Rodgers QB California
3 Carolina Braylon Edwards WR Michigan
4 Tampa Bay Cedric Benson RB Texas
5 Tennessee *Ahmad Brooks LB Virginia
6 Washington *Mathias Kiwanuka DE Boston College
7 Dallas (from Buffalo) Antrel Rolle CB Miami
8 Oakland *Mike Williams WR Southern California
9 Kansas City Marlin Jackson CB Michigan
10 Dallas *Rodrique Wright DT Texas
11 Cleveland Erasmus James DE Wisconsin
12 Arizona Andrew Walter QB Arizona State
13 New Orleans Derrick Johnson LB Texas
14 Chicago Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma
15 Houston Carnell Williams RB Auburn
16 Detroit *Thomas Davis FS Georgia
17 Cincinnati Corey Webster CB LSU
18 Seattle Elton Brown OG Virginia
19 St. Louis David Pollack DE Georgia
20 Green Bay Marcus Spears DE LSU
21 Minnesota *Orien Harris DT Miami
22 San Diego (from NY Giants) *Andrew Whitworth OT LSU
23 Denver *Heath Miller TE Virginia
24 San Diego *A.J. Hawk LB Ohio State
25 New York Jets Carlos Rogers CB Auburn
26 Jacksonville *Marcus McNeill OT Auburn
27 Baltimore Alex Barron OT Florida State
28 Indianapolis Ronnie Brown RB Auburn
29 Atlanta Wesley Britt OT Alabama
30 New England Kevin Burnett LB Tennessee
31 Philadelphia *Abdul Hodge LB Iowa
32 Pittsburgh Jammal Brown OT Oklahoma

Second round 33 Philadelphia (from Miami) Shaun Cody DT Southern California
34 San Francisco Anttaj Hawthorne DT Wisconsin
35 Carolina Michael Munoz OT Tennessee
36 Tennessee Charlie Frye QB Akron
37 New Orleans (from Washington) *Brodney Pool FS Oklahoma
38 Buffalo *Max Jean-Gilles OT Georgia
39 Oakland *DeAngelo Williams RB Memphis
40 Kansas City Dan Cody DE Oklahoma
41 Dallas Donte Nicholson SS Oklahoma
42 Cleveland *Winston Justice OT Southern California
43 Tampa Bay C.J. Brooks OT Maryland
44 Green Bay (from New Orleans) *Odell Thurman LB Georgia
45 Chicago David Baas OG Michigan
46 Houston Travis Johnson DT Florida State
47 Detroit *Adam Jones CB West Virginia
48 Cincinnati Mike Patterson DT Southern California
49 Arizona *Jimmy Williams CB Virginia Tech
50 St. Louis Darrent Williams CB Oklahoma State
51 Green Bay Jammal Brimmer SS UNLV
52 Minnesota *Daryl Blackstock LB Virginia
53 New York Giants Anthony Alabi OT Texas Christian
54 Seattle Barrett Ruud LB Nebraska
55 San Diego Matt Roth DE Iowa
56 New York Jets Dan Buenning OG Wisconsin
57 Jacksonville *Loren Howard DE Northwestern
58 Baltimore Terrance Murphy WR Texas A&M
59 Indianapolis Kirk Morrison LB San Diego State
60 Denver Chris Canty DE Virginia
61 Atlanta J.R. Russell WR Louisville
62 New England Khalif Barnes OT Washington
63 Philadelphia *Frank Gore RB Miami
64 Pittsburgh Michael Boley LB Southern Mississippi

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
in my opinion we won't be drafting a WR in the 1st round. now i'm not saying that i don't want them to but i think bill will try to reload on the defensive side of the ball.

we all know what bill thinks of keyshawn and terry, and he seems to like quincy and terrence. we might look to pick one up later in the draft but i would be surprised if we went WR in the 1st round.

who knows though we might try to fix the defense through free agency too.

Woods

Reaction score
da_boyz_mk said:
in my opinion we won't be drafting a WR in the 1st round. now i'm not saying that i don't want them to but i think bill will try to reload on the defensive side of the ball.

we all know what bill thinks of keyshawn and terry, and he seems to like quincy and terrence. we might look to pick one up later in the draft but i would be surprised if we went WR in the 1st round.

I think we'll end up drafting defense in the 1st round as well.

However, this time around, I hope we pick at least two good FAs BEFORE the draft so we truly can take the best player available. Our most obvious needs are DE, DT, CB, and FS. IF we can shore up at least 2 of these positions before the draft, I'll be breathing a lot easier . . . .

Also, I think Carolina may take on OT with their 1st, rather than a WR.

Reaction score
Bill knows we need playmakers...
Go for the best playmakers when we pick!

If Edwards is there, he would be a GREAT pick! So says this MICHIGAN fan!
I have watched him for years and he would be a huge asset to making the Cowboys champs again!

I like both Key & Glenn, but they will be here for 2 years more at the most...Let Edwards develop with Hensen, Witten & J.Jones and the triplets would be back baby!

Almost the same size as Williams, with better speed & RAC ability!

We can fill needs on D in FA and by firing Zimmy!

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I'll take a big WR with average speed and great hands over a big WR with great speed and questionable hands any day of the week. To me that's the biggest thing for a WR in the NFL... you have to be a ball athlete. You have to be able to time your jumps and have the hands to snatch the ball. Catching the ball, afterall, is what a WR is asked to do.

Speed or not, Williams is gonna be special. Edwards is just going to be another Quincy Morgan. Good, not great.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
I'll take a big WR with average speed and great hands over a big WR with great speed and questionable hands any day of the week. To me that's the biggest thing for a WR in the NFL... you have to be a ball athlete. You have to be able to time your jumps and have the hands to snatch the ball. Catching the ball, afterall, is what a WR is asked to do.

Speed or not, Williams is gonna be special. Edwards is just going to be another Quincy Morgan. Good, not great.
If any team takes Edwards over Williams it will look just as stupid as Tennessee did/does for taking Kevin Dyson over Randy Moss.

Reaction score
Obviously people have not seen enough of Edwards to know how great his hands are...Sure I have seen him (and every other WR drop a few) BUT...

I have seen him SNAG great catches with ONE hand for TD's!

He has also put of VERY impressive numbers while working this year with a true freshman QB...yes Quite Impressive as well!

He will be a GREAT WR...Lets see how it all turns out...I think Edwars will be drafted before Williams AND be a much bigger impact player...easy!

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Hostile said:
If any team takes Edwards over Williams it will look just as stupid as Tennessee did/does for taking Kevin Dyson over Randy Moss.

Yup. I don't see how any team could really take Edwards over Williams. I know teams become enamored with 40's, wonderlics, and 20 yard shuttles around mid Feb., but usually around draft time they come to their senses and remember what the guys did playing football.

Still, every year there are exceptions, so you never know.

God, I'll be upset if we take Edwards and Williams is still there.

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Too bad we need a FS not a SS

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4654&highlight=interchangeable

Now I've always known this from Edwards and Dungy's defenses' (defenses the Cowboys defense is based on) but fail to understand why other Cowboy fans just can't seem to get.

Just heard on B.A.D. radio that Bob Sturm have a little chat with Zimm this morning about maybe moving Roy up to play in Woody's spot. And Zimm said (probably for the 100th time) that in this sceeme the Safeties are basicly interchangable.

Meaning there is no TRUE SS or FS. On one play maybe one of the two may blitz or drop back into cover.

I bring this up because I think that far too many tend to underate Roy's coverage ability. And while I understand that he makes many plays the closer he is to the L.O.S. wouldn't it also stand to reason that that is because there is more activity the closer you get to the line of scrimage. More chances for tackles behind the L.O.S., more chances to blitz and put preasure on the QB, more sack opportunities, more chances for forced fumbles and Fumble recoveries. More of a chance to blow up screens, short curls and quick slants, and dump off passes. Woody made a reputation for doing just the same thing. Roy is far better a conver man than most give him credit for, whether its in the Box or 25 yards downfield Roy will always be a playmaker.

So whoever you have in mind to play 'FS' please understand that they also should have just as much playmaking ability to play in the box at 'SS'.

'k

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/storypage.php?Story_ID=514&Category=cardinals

Safeties

Like centers on offense, safeties rarely come along in bunches. At best you get one or two good ones per year. This year boasts a lot of prospects, though. Thomas Davis (Georgia) is a junior who likes to imitate Roy Williams (Cowboys). He makes plays all over the field and throws his body around. With the field crowded, he may not declare. Donte Nicholson (Oklahoma) is a clone of Adam Archuleta, making most of his plays in the box or backfield (6 sacks in 2003). Unlike Archuleta or Pat Tillman, though, he is a natural DB who won't need to make a "transition" to safety and could even play FS. I can't see this guy slipping far into round 2....

I think he'll be just fine, and how

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Hollywood Henderson said:
Obviously people have not seen enough of Edwards to know how great his hands are...Sure I have seen him (and every other WR drop a few) BUT...

He has also put of VERY impressive numbers while working this year with a true freshman QB...yes Quite Impressive as well!

He will be a GREAT WR...Lets see how it all turns out...I think Edwars will be drafted before Williams AND be a much bigger impact player...easy!
I've seen him play and listened to him speak too after his 3 TD performance earlier this year. On top of that every scouting report I have seen on him lists negatives about his character and attitude.

I'll pass.

marsbennett

Mars Man
Reaction score
da_boyz_mk said:

I like this take. I agree..we have a war chest to use...I expect FA to bring more than the draft. In FA, we have so little to lose and so much to gain. With the draft, well, I've seen 10 yrs. of disaster....I ain't countin' any chickens, yet.

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
SALADIN said:
I bring this up because I think that far too many tend to underate Roy's coverage ability. And while I understand that he makes many plays the closer he is to the L.O.S. wouldn't it also stand to reason that that is because there is more activity the closer you get to the line of scrimage. More chances for tackles behind the L.O.S., more chances to blitz and put preasure on the QB, more sack opportunities, more chances for forced fumbles and Fumble recoveries. More of a chance to blow up screens, short curls and quick slants, and dump off passes. Woody made a reputation for doing just the same thing. Roy is far better a conver man than most give him credit for, whether its in the Box or 25 yards downfield Roy will always be a playmaker.

So whoever you have in mind to play 'FS' please understand that they also should have just as much playmaking ability to play in the box at 'SS'.

i agree totally that we don't need a traditional 'FS' type. right now we just need someone who can play on this level.

i disagree that roy is a good cover corner. he is better in the box by far. just because there are more opportunities in the box doesn't mean that just anyone can make them. i would argue that there are just as many opportunities in pass coverage as far as interceptions and pass breakups go, and roy just hasn't made any plays in pass coverage this year.

i think roy can and will be a dominating player in this league, but not until he gets some help from the other safety position.

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
Hollywood Henderson said:

They have their favorites and will say whatever about a player even if they have never seen him. Being on the west coast I've seen about as many SC games as anyone over the last few years and it was Williams during his Freshman year who couldn't catch a flu if he had his *** dipped in lake Michigan.

He's turned it around since but beating these Pac 10 CB's and trying to get seperation at 230 lbs are going to be worlds apart.