Break down of Jabrill Peppers in coverage

Would you take Peppers at 28?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
I agree that is unnecessary to have the classic SS(church) in this day.
but have to cover the athletic TEs. So for us that is basically Jones. Is he the "SS"?
if so then 3 CBs makes sense. if no or not sure having another athletic safety who tackles is a great idea. Peppers does fit that.
i have said that we need to get away from classic SS and FS. and use hybrids.
a step away from your idea of 3 CBs and FS

You make good points.

Plankton

Reaction score
I voted yes, but it's with an asterisk.

If he's used in the same way that Barry Church and J.J. Wilcox were used in Dallas, then it will be a wasted pick. If they use him as more of a weapon than a traditional SS - blitzing, playing a rover style LB from time to time, playing some slot when called for, then he would be a terrific selection. I have said this before - if you draft Peppers, you need to have a plan for how you deploy him. His return skills alone won't make him a bust, but the DC of the team that takes him needs to be creative in how he's used.

I'm not sure that Rod Marinelli is that DC, TBH.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
How does Peppers compare to Roy Williams if at all?
A Roy Williams that's faster, can cover, and doesn't need to horse collar to make the tackle.

Pretty much everything u wished Roy would have been but wasn't lol

JeffInDC

Reaction score
A Roy Williams that's faster, can cover, and doesn't need to horse collar to make the tackle.

Pretty much everything u wished Roy would have been but wasn't lol

Isn't it ironic that the 2 guys who would be starting at Safety (as of today) wear the #'s 31 & 38?

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Peppers is not great at tackling, he throws himself at guys rather than wrapping up.
So he's not a great tackler and has one career pick in college. I get that he's uber athletic but I just don't get it. I know the cieling is high, but it screams boom or bust to me. I'd like a little more sure thing in the first round.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
He is really good at explaining compex concepts to Joe Fan
I agree.

A lot of us here on CZ know and understand football. And we know the Cowboys better than just about anyone outside of the organization. If you can get and keep our attention with an article or a video, then you can bet it is a pretty good piece and is informative.

That's my main problem with sites like BTB. What they are writing is usually basic and blatantly obvious and, unless we just want to hear their opinion... utterly useless in helping us learn anything at all about football in general and about the team specifically. It's like they're telling us water is wet.

So for his breakdowns to hold our attention, he is doing something right.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
I've said it once and I'll say it again: This team has been looking for a replacement for Woody since he retired. IMHO, this guy is the closest thing we've seen to Woodson since that time. Similar build, similar athleticism, and both were played at LB in college with all the skills to play the swiss army knife role on an NFL defense.

To top it off, he has the return skills of a Brock Marion. It's almost too good to be true for a (nostalgic) Cowboys fan. Which means he'll never make it to our pick. (Sigh).

waving monkey

Reaction score
I voted yes, but it's with an asterisk.

If he's used in the same way that Barry Church and J.J. Wilcox were used in Dallas, then it will be a wasted pick. If they use him as more of a weapon than a traditional SS - blitzing, playing a rover style LB from time to time, playing some slot when called for, then he would be a terrific selection. I have said this before - if you draft Peppers, you need to have a plan for how you deploy him. His return skills alone won't make him a bust, but the DC of the team that takes him needs to be creative in how he's used.

I'm not sure that Rod Marinelli is that DC, TBH.
I like your analysis but i have faith in Rod

waving monkey

Reaction score
I've said it once and I'll say it again: This team has been looking for a replacement for Woody since he retired. IMHO, this guy is the closest thing we've seen to Woodson since that time. Similar build, similar athleticism, and both were played at LB in college with all the skills to play the swiss army knife role on an NFL defense.

To top it off, he has the return skills of a Brock Marion. It's almost too good to be true for a (nostalgic) Cowboys fan. Which means he'll never make it to our pick. (Sigh).
:cool:

tyke1doe

Reaction score

Similar build? Woodson was 6'2, Peppers is 5'10. Similar athleticism? Peppers is way more athletic than Woodson. Woodson isn't as fluid as Peppers is. Don't get me wrong, Woodson was good. But he didn't return punters. He's not as athletic as Peppers.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He is really good at explaining complex concepts to Joe Fan
"Joe Fan" would've back-clicked out of that youtube video after 20 seconds once he discovered it wasn't a hype/highlight vid. "Joe Fans" hated Romo since the botched snap, too. Don't give them the credit that they understand the X's and O's of football.