Video: Break down of the 2 point conversion by Cris Carter and Mangini

InTheZone

Reaction score
I think you are wrong there. Most guys like you think that every QB is Tom Brady in total control out there. Dak is certainly not and shouldn't be in year #4.

Dak doesn't call the plays. He may be able to check out to a run or vice versa here and there, but that's probably about it. And there is no way you check to a run with an empty backfield.

It was a horrible play call. If you watch the video, it will all be explained to you. NOT ONE guy said anything about Dak other then feeling for the guy.
Ok, let me share the replay so we can all have a fresh perspective on what happened.
https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/h...tory-with-a-stop-on-the-cowboys-two-point-try

You don't need to be Tom Brady to know you have a timeout at your disposal. You don't need to be Tom Brady to know they're sending the defense like they had been doing all game. You don't need to be Tom Brady to adjust the play once it's called. Not every play is going to look great prior to the defense showing their hand. I have no doubt that most plays, especially on these critical downs which made for these types of situations have at least one other option which is up to the QB to call, a 4th year QB at that. He's no rookie, the young QB excuse ship has sailed and I never want to hear that again.

With 18/19 seconds on the play clock Dak hikes the ball. I have to assume Dak can count because his 5 offensive lineman can only block 5 guys...and there was an obvious 6th guy rushing him. Where's the hot route, they can do that every play. where's the audible, they can do that every play. Sorry but I'm not buying any excuse for Dak on the final play, regardless of whatever initial play was called because there was no adjustment made by him if it was such a bad look for what they were bringing.

I have no issue giving credit to Dak when it's due. I still expressed many concerns when we were 3-0 and this Jets game, and final play, was just an example of what I was worried we were going to get when Dak needs to make the few throws that matter. I don't expect perfection all game, but you have to make the right throws at the right time, no matter how bad you played before.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Ok, let me share the replay so we can all have a fresh perspective on what happened.
https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/h...tory-with-a-stop-on-the-cowboys-two-point-try

You don't need to be Tom Brady to know you have a timeout at your disposal. You don't need to be Tom Brady to know they're sending the defense like they had been doing all game. You don't need to be Tom Brady to adjust the play once it's called. Not every play is going to look great prior to the defense showing their hand. I have no doubt that most plays, especially on these critical downs which made for these types of situations have at least one other option which is up to the QB to call, a 4th year QB at that. He's no rookie, the young QB excuse ship has sailed and I never want to hear that again.

With 18/19 seconds on the play clock Dak hikes the ball. I have to assume Dak can count because his 5 offensive lineman can only block 5 guys...and there was an obvious 6th guy rushing him. Where's the hot route, they can do that every play. where's the audible, they can do that every play. Sorry but I'm not buying any excuse for Dak on the final play, regardless of whatever initial play was called because there was no adjustment made by him if it was such a bad look for what they were bringing.

I have no issue giving credit to Dak when it's due. I still expressed many concerns when we were 3-0 and this Jets game, and final play, was just an example of what I was worried we were going to get when Dak needs to make the few throws that matter. I don't expect perfection all game, but you have to make the right throws at the right time, no matter how bad you played before.

I would never read anything of yours that is that long. So sorry, you wasted your time.

But I did watch the video. Dak has ZERO time to throw the ball. Really no indication that guy is going to blitz until the last half second. NOTHING Dak could do at all. Pro bowl safety takes a great lane right to the QB. If anything, one of the lineman should have bumped the guy.

InTheZone

Reaction score
If the play had a name it would be called “Jason Witten is 6’6” and will box out like a power forward”... it’s worked many times over the years. Dak saw the blitz, snapped the ball with 20 on the clock gambling he could beat it, and was correct. Unfortunately he delivered a stinker of a throw.
he hesitated on the throw instead of trusting his guy to be in the right spot. Because the delivery was late and off there was almost no chance for PI, but had Witten got hit when the ball was getting there there's a chance a flag does come out.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
he hesitated on the throw instead of trusting his guy to be in the right spot. Because the delivery was late and off there was almost no chance for PI, but had Witten got hit when the ball was getting there there's a chance a flag does come out.
It was a tough play no doubt, and the blocking sucked. But there are QBs who can make that play, no doubt.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
If Dak recognized the blitz, why didn't he bring Zeke back as protection? The play design was to throw to Witten as he was the target, not Zeke. It appears Dak didn't recognize the blitz and that's concerning...especially in his fourth year.
This ^^^^