Video: Break down of the 2 point conversion by Cris Carter and Mangini

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Mangini and Cris Carter breaks down the 2point conversion play. I know Moore called this play and will get the blame but this play has been staple of JG's offense. A play where all the receiver run a curl route to a same depth. 322 all curl.

Typically we run this play a lot on 3rd and long where all the receiver runs near the stick and gets tackled short of the 1st down marker. One of the worst plays we've ran/run in JG era.

Text book on why Garrett sucks.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Somebody was saying that Dak motioned Zeke out.. If that’s the case, was that a look by Dak that had him do it or what?

Dak motioned Zeke to ensure they were getting a man coverage look. It put the safety towards the heavy side which allows Grandpa Witten to get a one on one with the safety on the curl route. They got exactly what they wanted. Problem is the safety blitz puts man on man on the inside. The thing I don’t understand is what happened with the OL there? They should adjust their blocking to account for the inside blitz. It’s almost as if they expected help from a RB there? When you’re undermanned on one side you always let the outer defender go when no back can help. Just a head scratcher.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
That's the kind of silliness I'd expect a 10 year old to say.

It was a stupid play call, especially against that defense in that situation. It was doomed from the start.
If you don't like the owner, head coach and QB, stop watching or following the team. That was clearly pass interference on Witten in the front middle of the endzone.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Dak motioned Zeke to ensure they were getting a man coverage look. It put the safety towards the heavy side which allows Grandpa Witten to get a one on one with the safety on the curl route. They got exactly what they wanted. Problem is the safety blitz puts man on man on the inside. The thing I don’t understand is what happened with the OL there? They should adjust their blocking to account for the inside blitz. It’s almost as if they expected help from a RB there? When you’re undermanned on one side you always let the outer defender go when no back can help. Just a head scratcher.
Exactly. The Oline has been making too many mistakes all season. That falls squarely on the hands of the Oline coach, Colombo.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Of course, Dak didn't have any time to look for another option since a blitzer came through completely untouched.

I think the point was that you know the Jets have an aggressive DC so you should know that that pressure is coming, especially when you take away the running threat by motioning Zeke out.

There are all kinds of plays we could have run. The one we called was the worst choice we could have made against that defense.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Did I miss the point because I didn't watch it?

Not one guy said anything about Dak. It was a dig on how bad of a play it was on the 2 point conversion. It also focused on the horrid decisions made by Garrett throughout the game.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
If you don't like the owner, head coach and QB, stop watching or following the team. That was clearly pass interference on Witten in the front middle of the endzone.

I don't take direction from crybabies. You're part of the crowd who sees football, doesn't understand it, so everything is about the refs conspiring against the Cowboys. Grow up.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Not one guy said anything about Dak. It was a dig on how bad of a play it was on the 2 point conversion. It also focused on the horrid decisions made by Garrett throughout the game.
I was never referring to the rest of the game. I made a note about the play was there to be made, regardless of what was called. And I commented how Dak could've done things differently to help the team in that situation, but all I'm getting is "play call sucked". It's up to the QB to adjust depending on the matchups after the play is called. It's very simple. Again, im not dismissing whatever other issues prior, simply referring to the final play.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't take direction from crybabies. You're part of the crowd who sees football, doesn't understand it, so everything is about the refs conspiring against the Cowboys. Grow up.
I've accomplished more playing the game than you have. I guarantee. Benchwarming for you does not count. Go play golf.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I was never referring to the rest of the game. I made a note about the play was there to be made, regardless of what was called. And I commented how Dak could've done things differently to help the team in that situation, but all I'm getting is "play call sucked". It's up to the QB to adjust depending on the matchups after the play is called. It's very simple. Again, im not dismissing whatever other issues prior, simply referring to the final play.

Not really. You just find any way to lay blame on the QB when something goes wrong. Its called hypercritical.

Probably much like I like to blame Garrett.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Exactly. The Oline has been making too many mistakes all season. That falls squarely on the hands of the Oline coach, Colombo.

The only other thing I would ad is if Dak had not motioned Zeke out, he would’ve probably seen 2 blitzers coming at that point. Zeke would have to pick one or even worse (and probably more likely) go out into the pattern causing 2 guys to run free at the QB.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Not really. You just find any way to lay blame on the QB when something goes wrong. Its called hypercritical.

Probably much like I like to blame Garrett.
I'm sure in the film room Dak, Moore, Garrett, and the O-Line all said they could've done something better, even with the play that was called. I'm simply focusing on Dak because he's the one in control after he gets the play. He can call a timeout if he doesn't like the matchups. He can keep Zeke back if he wants a different disguise. Bottom line Witten was open, send the ball a little low and to the left and Witten cradles it for a catch. Why people can only suggest blame goes to coaches and I've yet to actually hear the biggest Dak defenders put ANY criticism on him for his part.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm sure in the film room Dak, Moore, Garrett, and the O-Line all said they could've done something better, even with the play that was called. I'm simply focusing on Dak because he's the one in control after he gets the play. He can call a timeout if he doesn't like the matchups. He can keep Zeke back if he wants a different disguise. Bottom line Witten was open, send the ball a little low and to the left and Witten cradles it for a catch. Why people can only suggest blame goes to coaches and I've yet to actually hear the biggest Dak defenders put ANY criticism on him for his part.

I think you are wrong there. Most guys like you think that every QB is Tom Brady in total control out there. Dak is certainly not and shouldn't be in year #4.

Dak doesn't call the plays. He may be able to check out to a run or vice versa here and there, but that's probably about it. And there is no way you check to a run with an empty backfield.

It was a horrible play call. If you watch the video, it will all be explained to you. NOT ONE guy said anything about Dak other then feeling for the guy.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

How do you know he can keep Zeke back? That is an assumption. And the safety blitzing was a last minute adjustment THEY made as soon as Zeke motioned out.

Hdsportsfan

Reaction score
Witten was still open, the ball just went 5 yards somewhere else.
I don't man. I don't think he was open at all. However, he was getting mugged and pushed on. He couldn't have reached down to get that throw even if he wanted to because the defender was on the same side of Witten and where the ball went, albeit ankle high.

My issue is that play didn't leave Dak with any options. But easy to say sitting on my couch with a free blitzer getting ready to Dak's head off.

InTheZone

Reaction score
I don't man. I don't think he was open at all. However, he was getting mugged and pushed on. He couldn't have reached down to get that throw even if he wanted to because the defender was on the same side of Witten and where the ball went, albeit ankle high.

My issue is that play didn't leave Dak with any options. But easy to say sitting on my couch with a free blitzer getting ready to Dak's head off.
that's why I said throw it to the other side and a little low. Witten is a big guy who has shielded himself from defenders in the same coverage dozens of times before.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
that's why I said throw it to the other side and a little low. Witten is a big guy who has shielded himself from defenders in the same coverage dozens of times before.
If the play had a name it would be called “Jason Witten is 6’6” and will box out like a power forward”... it’s worked many times over the years. Dak saw the blitz, snapped the ball with 20 on the clock gambling he could beat it, and was correct. Unfortunately he delivered a stinker of a throw.