Breakdown of how Dak Prescott transformed his game in one year into an MVP type of performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadenough

Reaction score
No doubt that Dak has had a very good season and has improved. The offense under McCarthy definitely looks better. I didn't bother to watch the OP video but the biggest thing I've noticed about Dak this season over others is his feet keep moving and his ability to move around the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield. I saw that completely go out the window in the Buffalo game. He was flat footed and didn't play well. CeeDee Lamb has been a part of this improvement too. Can Dak perform what he has been working on into the playoffs.
I don't know but I do know pressure causes a person to resort to their old ways. And it's pretty much not fixable, it's something that you might get slighty better under pressure moments but if you don't have it naturally to begin with it's impossible to get. It's just a like these tennis pros. Some have that great serve and some just don't. Some have a great forehand and some don't. The ones that don't may work on it all their life and they never achieve it. Some have a weak backhand and can make it better but it's never going to be a strength no matter how much they work on it. Same goes for all sports.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Statistically, you are right. Dak did have better seasons 2 previous times. But for the very first time, Dak truly had command of the whole Offense (from knowing every receivers' routes, reading opposing defenses well, making proper changes at the line of scrimmage, having the proper footwork/armwork, and pretty much carrying this Offense even though he hardly had much of a run game to back him up or a better/healthier Oline). Dak pretty much carried this Offense from Week 1 through Week 18. He looked like another Aaron Rodgers out there. First time I've felt that about him fully.
:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

glimmerman

Reaction score
Coach McCarthy had a lot to do with it.

Enjoy...

Keep it going throughout the playoffs, Dak. Best of luck. Go make history.

:starspin:

I think he wasn’t totally healed both physically and mentally last year. He for some reason didn’t want to use his legs. His legs were what makes his game and makes him dangerous.. He doesn’t have to run as much as he did in rookie year. But if you look at stats he don’t run for a lot of yards in a season. It’s when he does it. Loosens opposing defenses. And Lamb coming on is really making his game step up. Now finding the other receivers. If he had a running game we would be a shoe in for SB.. For some reason they refuse to use Malik or Luepke..

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Coach McCarthy had a lot to do with it.

Enjoy...

Keep it going throughout the playoffs, Dak. Best of luck. Go make history.

:starspin:

I agree McCarthy had a whole lot to do with it. Building the relationship gave Dak confidence. Paying attention to details, and allowing Dak to have input and autonomy.. He's actually the one out there calling most of these plays, believe it or not, which is what I also said they should do after the bye.

Honestly, I think that option was on the table when Dak was calling games in the preseason. McCarthy wanted to give Dak the chance to show he could do it, and to observe his approach, strategy, and dynamic. Turns out, Dak is pretty good at it, apparently.

This is called setting your ego aside for the betterment of the team, and it has helped everyone on the team.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I think part of it was last year was more of an outlier but people took it as his normal performance or that he was on a downward trend.
Yes, that and many of our fans are miserable people in general. I'm not naive enough to think that doesn't impact our players. A lot of it is intentional, too. So many ego over team types out there.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Said it before, I'll say it again - he's had better seasons. Not sure why this season deserves MVP discussion more than the seasons where he threw for more yards or TD's didn't. The biggest difference is less interceptions, which needed improvement anyway.

Personally, I think CeeDee deserves to be in the discussion more than Dak.
:hammer:

We haven’t had a receiver this dominant, and so in sync with his quarterback, since Michael Irvin and Troy Aikman.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Imagine if we had a running game. Our passing game had to take over. Amazing how effective Prescott was this season without a strong running game.

The difference was our defense which basically shut down all of the below .500 teams while we ran up the score.

But lack of turnovers was probably the biggest factor . When you lead the league in TD’s instead of INT’s the results will reflect.

I think he was more mobile this season , extending plays and occasional scrambles. And we must mention completely healthy as well for first time in several years.

Great regular season for Dak. Now it’s time to play his best ball on the bigger stages which will help change the narrative from the critics.
Almost every defense in the league keys in on the run, and prioritizes stopping the run. There are reasons for that with overall strategy, TOP, etcetera.

It's no longer a run to set up the pass league. Hasn't been for a while now. The way I see it, part of the reason Dallas is having more success lately, and Dak has been successful is because it's a pass to set up the run league.

A lot of the older fans haven't realized the change with this dynamic. But it's true around the league. Dallas finally got the memo. This is another reason for them being more competitive, and garnering the 2 spot in spite of dropping games earlier in the year they shouldn't have dropped.

This, and McCarthy designed plays centered around getting the most out of what our players can do.. also, allowing Dak to call plays.... McCarthy's lips are moving, but he's not the one calling plays out there. It's Dak.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
:hammer:

We haven’t had a receiver this dominant, and so in sync with his quarterback, since Michael Irvin and Troy Aikman.
Funny thing is I saw it coming. I knew Lamb was the best WR in the league before the bye... It was just a matter of time.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I'm hoping for the best. But time and time again, Dak has shown greatness, until it really counts. (And I don't think beating up a loser team like Washington "really counts"). When it really counts, it's interceptions, fumbles, bad passes, bad decisions. The playoffs are when it really counts, and I have serious concerns about getting anywhere. One victory? Maybe two? But how could they come close to the 49'ers?
Oh, Lord. Then if we win this game, then, well, it was only the 9-8 Packers.

Right?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Almost every defense in the league keys in on the run, and prioritizes stopping the run. There are reasons for that with overall strategy, TOP, etcetera.

It's no longer a run to set up the pass league. Hasn't been for a while now. The way I see it, part of the reason Dallas is having more success lately, and Dak has been successful is because it's a pass to set up the run league.

A lot of the older fans haven't realized the change with this dynamic. But it's true around the league. Dallas finally got the memo. This is another reason for them being more competitive, and garnering the 2 spot in spite of dropping games earlier in the year they shouldn't have dropped.

This, and McCarthy designed plays centered around getting the most out of what our players can do.. also, allowing Dak to call plays.... McCarthy's lips are moving, but he's not the one calling plays out there. It's Dak.
I’m not sure what qualifies as older these days because I would like to keep saying I’m young, but I would say the league moved to this a long time ago starting with Walsh, Montana and the WCO.That was exactly what we did with the 1990s dynasty. Aikman accurate as hell throwing some digs and slants to Irvin, 1-2 deep bombs to Harper, Novacek the rest and then let Emmitt eat it up. And Brady, Manning and Brees took it to the next level. If you have a dominant line and great running back like we did with our trifecta and Ezekiel Elliott, then why bother? Maybe took a while for the Garrett Boys to realize it was time to change Including Kellen Moore.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No doubt that Dak has had a very good season and has improved. The offense under McCarthy definitely looks better. I didn't bother to watch the OP video but the biggest thing I've noticed about Dak this season over others is his feet keep moving and his ability to move around the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield. I saw that completely go out the window in the Buffalo game. He was flat footed and didn't play well. CeeDee Lamb has been a part of this improvement too. Can Dak perform what he has been working on into the playoffs.
I don't know but I do know pressure causes a person to resort to their old ways. And it's pretty much not fixable, it's something that you might get slighty better under pressure moments but if you don't have it naturally to begin with it's impossible to get. It's just a like these tennis pros. Some have that great serve and some just don't. Some have a great forehand and some don't. The ones that don't may work on it all their life and they never achieve it. Some have a weak backhand and can make it better but it's never going to be a strength no matter how much they work on it. Same goes for all sports.
We are now gonna play really good teams. Now is the time for Dak to really show if he has changed or not.

Earlier in the week I begged Ceedee, cooks, and Fergie to PLEASE help! :)

Nexx

Reaction score
It's his childish way of shutting down discussion.
Hater, Eagles fan, moron, etc.
I guess when you have free reign to say whatever you want..
that's what makes the United States one of the greatest countries in the world.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Just the fact Dak is in the running for MVP proves what many of us have said and that is Dak is a top QB in this league. I think the work McCarthy has done with him has really help to elevate his level of play.

Hadenough

Reaction score
We are now gonna play really good teams. Now is the time for Dak to really show if he has changed or not.

Earlier in the week I begged Ceedee, cooks, and Fergie to PLEASE help! :)
Teams have been covering Ferguson better lately. I'm hoping he feasts in the packers

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just the fact Dak is in the running for MVP proves what many of us have said and that is Dak is a top QB in this league. I think the work McCarthy has done with him has really help to elevate his level of play.
Not elevated.

Status
Not open for further replies.