News: Breakdown of Jaylon Smith Contract

kskboys

Reaction score
You think so? He got what Dak and Zeke wanted in regards to tanking or guaranteed money.
No, he didn't. He signed for a reasonable amount.

Both Dak and Zeke have already been offered similar contracts. Both scoffed and insisted they needed to be the highest paid in the NFL. I'm really not seeing how you're not seeing this, to tell the truth.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No, he didn't. He signed for a reasonable amount.

Both Dak and Zeke have already been offered similar contracts. Both scoffed and insisted they needed to be the highest paid in the NFL. I'm really not seeing how you're not seeing this, to tell the truth.
You don’t know what they’ve been offered. Pure speculation. And Jaylon got the 2nd highest guaranteed money for a linebacker. If Dak got the 2nd most guaranteed money or Zeke? They’d be signed I assume. Once again speculation.

Little Jr

Reaction score
FYI, you might find the Gurley contract from 2018 interesting.

It was reported as a 4 year contract. They kept his 4th year salary for 2018, kept the 5th year option amount for 2019 and then added the 4 years starting in 2020.
Eagles did that with wentz. I understood that. I guess what confused me with jaylon is 2 things. 1. It wasn't announce like Gurley and wentz 5th year option. They picked theirs up, then a couple of months later they signed them to an extension so I knew they would count the 5th year option. 2. I didn't know you could pick up a RFA tender before the player hit rfa and before they were eligible for RFA. Never seen it done.

JayFord

Reaction score
I like that contract it’s like biscuits on the moon while steak is moving in the couch if ya know what I mean

I dig it

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eagles did that with wentz. I understood that. I guess what confused me with jaylon is 2 things. 1. It wasn't announce like Gurley and wentz 5th year option. They picked theirs up, then a couple of months later they signed them to an extension so I knew they would count the 5th year option. 2. I didn't know you could pick up a RFA tender before the player hit rfa and before they were eligible for RFA. Never seen it done.
They don't actually pick up the RFA tender option, they just use that number in the new contract because that's what it would be without the new contract.
- It's the same with the 5th year option, they use the number from the 5th year option, but the new contract replaces the actual 5th year option.
- Doing it this way makes for a clean comparison to players that signed a new contract when with zero remaining years on their old contract.

It would be a similar concept for a player on a 4 year contract that signs a new contract before their 4th season.

Dak
If he signs a contact now:
  • 2019: 2M from rookie contract
  • 2020: 34M (contract average)
  • 2021: 34M (contract average)
  • 2022: 34M (contract average)
  • 2023: 34M (contract average)

If he signs a contract next March:

They could report the contract as 5 years if he signed now, but they'll report it as 4 years such that the cost for 2020 to 2023 is reported the same regardless of when he signs the contract.

Little Jr

Reaction score
They don't actually pick up the RFA tender option, they just use that number in the new contract because that's what it would be without the new contract.
- It's the same with the 5th year option, they use the number from the 5th year option, but the new contract replaces the actual 5th year option.
- Doing it this way makes for a clean comparison to players that signed a new contract when with zero remaining years on their old contract.

It would be a similar concept for a player on a 4 year contract that signs a new contract before their 4th season.

Dak
If he signs a contact now:
  • 2019: 2M from rookie contract

If he signs a contract next March:

They could report the contract as 5 years if he signed now, but they'll report it as 4 years such that the cost for 2020 to 2023 is reported the same regardless of when he signs the contract.
Yeah, I understand all that. Just never seen a tender year used in a contract 7 months before the tender would even be used. But like I said earlier, I'm not sure I've seen, or paid attention, to a future rfa signing a extension early. So I'm sure it's been done, just first time I've seen it. Learn something new every day.

blueblood70

Reaction score
if he continues to get better , great deal..if not well hes a bum… jk Marshall made me say it..

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Yeah, I understand all that. Just never seen a tender year used in a contract 7 months before the tender would even be used. But like I said earlier, I'm not sure I've seen, or paid attention, to a future rfa signing a extension early. So I'm sure it's been done, just first time I've seen it. Learn something new every day.
A contract can gets finalized early on but turned in later on. That happens all the time too. Most fans just dont pay attention to the details of a players contract. They just want to hear that he's been resigned.