Breaking down options at the QB position

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I'd just transition tag him. If he accepts a contract from another team the Cowboys have the option to match. How much of a better deal are the Cowboys going to get if they negotiate a contract?

Exactly. Let's see what the market really is then decide whether or not to pay it.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I am a Dak fan but if Oregon's Herbert is there at 17, things could get very interesting. I would have a hard time passing on Herbert at 17. Draft him and let him learn for a year and start the following year if Dak does not perform well. If Dak performs well, trade Herbert the following year.

I doubt Herbert will be there at 17. I think Dak will likely perform well next year.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
As the offseason lingers, we have all these questions about Head Coaches and Coordinators, we also need to figure out what we're going to do at QB. Many like Dak, but is he really the best option going forward?

Before proceeding, ask yourself, are you satisfied with Dak at QB and willing to pay him market price despite being 1-6 against winning teams with 7 TD's and 7 INT's I believe (rounding the stats here, take them with a grain of salt. The rounding isn't too far off, however). Or are you guys just nervous about drafting a bust in the draft? Are the odds of possibly drafting a cheaper rookie that is a bust higher than keeping Dak who is average (or above average, according to misleading stats)?

I'd like to point out Alex Smith. If the Chiefs hadn't of moved on, they wouldn't have gotten Mahomes. Yes, they might have drafted a bust, but they took the risk and got Mahomes instead. Same situation is valid for the Texans.

Dak is an average QB. He can win you games (Lions game, Vikes game had the playcalling actually been competent), but he can also be the reason why you lose others (2nd Philly game, Bills game, Patriots game, etc). He can be tagged and observed in the 2020 season with a new HC, however, what can a new HC to if the QB cannot hit wide open WR's, throws behind the receiver every other pass, cannot throw in stride, low pocket awareness, regresses badly to bad footwork and overall bad football IQ when under pressure, cannot read defenses well, etc. He is also not a pure athletic QB such as Watson or Jackson. Will a new HC really fix majority of his problems? I will be fair, he has pros such as leadership, personality, great locker room presence, good mentality, and slight clutchness, however, do all of these traits override his cons?

Anyways, let's delve into the draft:

QB's that are likely going to declare for 2020 include: Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, Tua, Jake Fromm (possibly), Jacob Eason, Jordan Love, Jalen Hurts, and more.

Now, just because we don't have a high draft pick DOES NOT mean we won't draft a superstar. Watson and Mahomes were drafted at 10 and 12. Other QB's such as Wilson and obviously Tom Brady were drafted in later rounds. Pick does not matter. We may stumble upon a star. Herbert, a high prospect, is also predicted to go at 17 according to a lot of mock drafts. We may take a shot at him. Or, despite conflicting reports and opinion on Riley, if he does come here, we may get Hurts so they can continue to develop chemistry together.

Free Agency/Trade: There aren't many free agent QB's out there, a few notable soon to be FA's are Tannehill and Bridgewater. QB's that play around the same level as Dak, but at a cheaper price. Some may oppose bringing them in, but in hindsight, it's not a bad idea if you want to re-sign/bring in more expensive pieces that are needed to make average QB's look great (Cobb, a better backup QB, Amari, Byron Jones, etc).

Trade: This one is less likely, as we need draft pieces to get a better defense, however, it is not 100% out of the question. What are the odds that we trade enough pieces/rounds away to get Mahomes, Watson, Jackson, or Josh Allen? Low, yes, but still possible and negotiable. These QB's may not look the same under our system, but they are fundamentally better QB's than Dak, as well as more athletic in general.

Going forward into 2020, what should we do at QB and why? If you stay with Dak, what kind of offensive scheme would you run for him?

*Before anyone says "Dak will be paid. No doubt about it." Please inform me as to why he has yet to be actually paid by the Joneses? Actions speak louder than words. Just because they talk all this talk means nothing. They said they'd bring Dez and DeMarco Murray back, yet they did not. QB is a different situation, yes, but as I said before, actions speak louder than words. If they we're so bullish on Dak, they would have given him the contract he had asked for before. Just sayin'.

The Chiefs already has Mahomes in-house for a year before they let Alex Smith go. Same with the Ravens and Lamar Jackson. It is dumb to let a good qb go with no replacement ready.

Retro88

Reaction score
On what planet is Dak a 'top 10' QB?? I mean by definition this year 12 QBs were better than him as they led their teams to the playoffs. 15 QBs led their teams to the same or better win/loss records.

No way Dak is better than Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Brees, Wilson, Goff, Wentz, Roethlisberger, Jimmy G, Cousins, Jackson and Watson. Then you throw in guys like Stafford, Carr, Rivers, Allen, Darnold, Ryan, Newton.. who are around the same level as Dak potentially but arguments could be made why they are better.

Sorry but Dak is nowhere near a top 10 level QB.. maybe top 15 at a pinch. Maybe. More likely that if you took away the Oline and Zeke.. he would be a bottom five QB in terms of accuracy, field awareness and pocket passing ability.

Incorrect. Making the playoffs dont make them better. This isnt golf or tennis. It's a team sport.

Also, lmao @if you take away the oline and Zeke. Take away literally every QBs oline and they will struggle. Much less the focal point if the offense as well.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I am a Dak fan but if Oregon's Herbert is there at 17, things could get very interesting. I would have a hard time passing on Herbert at 17. Draft him and let him learn for a year and start the following year if Dak does not perform well. If Dak performs well, trade Herbert the following year.

I doubt Herbert will be there at 17. I think Dak will likely perform well next year.

Like you doubt he is there at 17 but it would be interesting if he is still there.

lwehlers

Reaction score
I see the options as:

1) Sign Dak long term
2) Franchise Dak
3) Use the #1 pick
4) Coax Andrew Luck out of retirement
5) Sign Johnny Manziel and/or Colin Kaepernick
6) Some combination thereof.
I think that your top four options are ok but the last two are kind of funny.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Draft a QB in the 1st, spend $5 mil or less at the position for the next 4 years, get better coaches to add talent to the defense in this time. After 4 years we may have to start rebuilding the offensive line so you better fix the defense by then. With a 40 mil QB I don't see any positive outcome with the state of the current team. I think so little of our current QB I don't even want him at his current contract, even if it's considered a bargain. We are simply being held back and making every excuse why he can't get it done. There is no Super Bowl in sight with #4, I 100% believe this.

shabazz

Reaction score
I see the options as:

1) Sign Dak long term
2) Franchise Dak
3) Use the #1 pick

I like options 2&3. If Dak can beat teams with winning records and becomes the Qb that can overcome the blemishes of his teammates, a la Wilson, pay him Wilson money. If he’s doesn’t, than at least the grooming of our next Qb has begun and we can use the saved money to get the pieces we need.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
You also said we weren’t winning the Sb with Romo, so it seems like you are looking for any excuse to justify Dak getting some ‘exceptional’ treatment to continue to start as a rookie QB, even though per your own words it set the team back.

So we shouldn’t draft a rookie for Dak, because it sets the team back, but we should start Dak over Romo, who finally had the pieces around him, for some odd reason, that surely wasn’t that Dak is anywhere near the QB Romo is even today, coming straight out the broadcast booth..
Because Romo couldn't take a hit without breaking something. If Romo wasn't brittle than Dak would have been able to sit and learn, but he isn't

32BellyOption

Reaction score
I see the options as:

1) Sign Dak long term
2) Franchise Dak
3) Use the #1 pick

You can’t be serious on #5. Lol! And the Colts still own the rights to Luck I believe. I think what we should do is franchise Dak. Then give the new head coach and OC a year to evaluate Dak before we invest our future in him.

Nav22

Reaction score
On what planet is Dak a 'top 10' QB?? I mean by definition this year 12 QBs were better than him as they led their teams to the playoffs. 15 QBs led their teams to the same or better win/loss records.

No way Dak is better than Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Brees, Wilson, Goff, Wentz, Roethlisberger, Jimmy G, Cousins, Jackson and Watson. Then you throw in guys like Stafford, Carr, Rivers, Allen, Darnold, Ryan, Newton.. who are around the same level as Dak potentially but arguments could be made why they are better.

Sorry but Dak is nowhere near a top 10 level QB.. maybe top 15 at a pinch. Maybe. More likely that if you took away the Oline and Zeke.. he would be a bottom five QB in terms of accuracy, field awareness and pocket passing ability.
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/prescotts-final-season-ranks-various-metrics.449993/

Keep embarrassing yourself.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
Dak's out of contract......
And if you don't think he's going to be the Cowboys future QB, then you're hoping he's not. And if you're hoping he's not, then you didn't want to be QB before he stepped on the field after the season he had this season. Smh

zeke21

Reaction score
Yep and Winston was the best QB this season.. great.

Stats can lie and be manipulated.. sorry you don't understand that concept. Dak has coasted on good stats because he walked into a dream scenaria.. great OLine, good receivers, and outstanding run game. I mean I would be concerned if he wasn't statistically good.

The guy is an average bus driving QB.. I have never said he is the worst.. never. Dak is what he is.. and if we pay him higher than that then we cripple this franchise. No way Dak takes us to the SB.. no way.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
As the offseason lingers, we have all these questions about Head Coaches and Coordinators, we also need to figure out what we're going to do at QB. Many like Dak, but is he really the best option going forward?

Before proceeding, ask yourself, are you satisfied with Dak at QB and willing to pay him market price despite being 1-6 against winning teams with 7 TD's and 7 INT's I believe (rounding the stats here, take them with a grain of salt. The rounding isn't too far off, however). Or are you guys just nervous about drafting a bust in the draft? Are the odds of possibly drafting a cheaper rookie that is a bust higher than keeping Dak who is average (or above average, according to misleading stats)?

I'd like to point out Alex Smith. If the Chiefs hadn't of moved on, they wouldn't have gotten Mahomes. Yes, they might have drafted a bust, but they took the risk and got Mahomes instead. Same situation is valid for the Texans.

Dak is an average QB. He can win you games (Lions game, Vikes game had the playcalling actually been competent), but he can also be the reason why you lose others (2nd Philly game, Bills game, Patriots game, etc). He can be tagged and observed in the 2020 season with a new HC, however, what can a new HC to if the QB cannot hit wide open WR's, throws behind the receiver every other pass, cannot throw in stride, low pocket awareness, regresses badly to bad footwork and overall bad football IQ when under pressure, cannot read defenses well, etc. He is also not a pure athletic QB such as Watson or Jackson. Will a new HC really fix majority of his problems? I will be fair, he has pros such as leadership, personality, great locker room presence, good mentality, and slight clutchness, however, do all of these traits override his cons?

Anyways, let's delve into the draft:

QB's that are likely going to declare for 2020 include: Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, Tua, Jake Fromm (possibly), Jacob Eason, Jordan Love, Jalen Hurts, and more.

Now, just because we don't have a high draft pick DOES NOT mean we won't draft a superstar. Watson and Mahomes were drafted at 10 and 12. Other QB's such as Wilson and obviously Tom Brady were drafted in later rounds. Pick does not matter. We may stumble upon a star. Herbert, a high prospect, is also predicted to go at 17 according to a lot of mock drafts. We may take a shot at him. Or, despite conflicting reports and opinion on Riley, if he does come here, we may get Hurts so they can continue to develop chemistry together.

Free Agency/Trade: There aren't many free agent QB's out there, a few notable soon to be FA's are Tannehill and Bridgewater. QB's that play around the same level as Dak, but at a cheaper price. Some may oppose bringing them in, but in hindsight, it's not a bad idea if you want to re-sign/bring in more expensive pieces that are needed to make average QB's look great (Cobb, a better backup QB, Amari, Byron Jones, etc).

Trade: This one is less likely, as we need draft pieces to get a better defense, however, it is not 100% out of the question. What are the odds that we trade enough pieces/rounds away to get Mahomes, Watson, Jackson, or Josh Allen? Low, yes, but still possible and negotiable. These QB's may not look the same under our system, but they are fundamentally better QB's than Dak, as well as more athletic in general.

Going forward into 2020, what should we do at QB and why? If you stay with Dak, what kind of offensive scheme would you run for him?

*Before anyone says "Dak will be paid. No doubt about it." Please inform me as to why he has yet to be actually paid by the Joneses? Actions speak louder than words. Just because they talk all this talk means nothing. They said they'd bring Dez and DeMarco Murray back, yet they did not. QB is a different situation, yes, but as I said before, actions speak louder than words. If they we're so bullish on Dak, they would have given him the contract he had asked for before. Just sayin'.
We have our QB. Another moot thread on Dak.

Nav22

Reaction score
Yep and Winston was the best QB this season.. great.

Stats can lie and be manipulated.. sorry you don't understand that concept. Dak has coasted on good stats because he walked into a dream scenaria.. great OLine, good receivers, and outstanding run game. I mean I would be concerned if he wasn't statistically good.

The guy is an average bus driving QB.. I have never said he is the worst.. never. Dak is what he is.. and if we pay him higher than that then we cripple this franchise. No way Dak takes us to the SB.. no way.

“Winston was the best QB this season”

LOL based on what, you JOKE? Pass yards?

:lmao2:

zeke21

Reaction score
“Winston was the best QB this season”

LOL based on what, you JOKE? Pass yards?

:lmao2:
Wow. Just Wow.

Yes clearly I think Winston was the best QB this season. How very clever of you. What intelligence you have. You sir are sharp as a razor. I am bested.

Nav22

Reaction score
Wow. Just Wow.

Yes clearly I think Winston was the best QB this season. How very clever of you. What intelligence you have. You sir are sharp as a razor. I am bested.
Your example was stupid and based on a statistic that only a troglodyte would ever cite.

Comparing Winston’s pass yards to the myriad of stats, advanced or traditional, that ALL point to Dak being top 10 this year..... that’s a special kind of remedial.

Yes, you were bested. Learn football or finish your GED.

ultron

Reaction score
You guys act like you have to pay this man with your own money. He's earned a large pay day, he's a damn good player, and he'll be the Cowboys qb for the next 10 years.