CFZ Breaking History

Blitzen

Reaction score
I have made my case on moving on from a quarterback after unsuccessful postseason attempts over a certain number of years. In my opinion, the only reason a team should extend a quarterback in the current CBA and average cost is if they can both show immense offensive success in the postseason against top defenses and reach at least a conference championship game within their first 6 seasons in the league as a starter (regardless of injury history). I mean extensions at top dollar (like top 3 on average pay per year plus high end guaranteed money).

The reason for this is simply to not continue building on a problematic foundation (cost of a quarterback makes it difficult to fill out the roster-more difficult depending on QB talent-it also ties your offense to a person for at least 3 years). I believe that it is better to boom or bust rather than tread water perpetually. If a quarterback is showing the excellent offensive output in the postseason-where points are scored on average without defensive turnover boosts (and taking standard deviation into account-not booming one game and laying an egg in another).

I studied a list of both AFC and NFC championship appearances all the way back to 1970 and found only a few guys that had started with a team and never left the franchise and then suddenly made the conference championship late in their career. Everyone of them was 60’s or 70’s era QB when there was no salary cap and they could be awful for 5-8 years but finally develop (they also got next to no pay which would have influenced their timeline). And even those had made a conference championship game by their seventh season starting.

Since this is Dak’s 9th season, he will need to break all time NFL history in making the conference title game this season with his original team. Here’s to hoping the defense can Dilfer us a SB. Keep opponents to 6 points or less (and ask Dak to please not gift any points away).

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You’re not going to make a very good case for moving on from a QB who’s leading you to the playoffs. No team moves on from a QB that’s leading them to the playoffs. They move on from QBs that aren’t leading them to the playoffs. Making it seem like Dak is on par with Trent Dilfer is laughable! Hopefully you didn’t waste this much time on your previous posts, trying to make a case for moving on from him.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I have made my case on moving on from a quarterback after unsuccessful postseason attempts over a certain number of years. In my opinion, the only reason a team should extend a quarterback in the current CBA and average cost is if they can both show immense offensive success in the postseason against top defenses and reach at least a conference championship game within their first 6 seasons in the league as a starter (regardless of injury history). I mean extensions at top dollar (like top 3 on average pay per year plus high end guaranteed money).

The reason for this is simply to not continue building on a problematic foundation (cost of a quarterback makes it difficult to fill out the roster-more difficult depending on QB talent-it also ties your offense to a person for at least 3 years). I believe that it is better to boom or bust rather than tread water perpetually. If a quarterback is showing the excellent offensive output in the postseason-where points are scored on average without defensive turnover boosts (and taking standard deviation into account-not booming one game and laying an egg in another).

I studied a list of both AFC and NFC championship appearances all the way back to 1970 and found only a few guys that had started with a team and never left the franchise and then suddenly made the conference championship late in their career. Everyone of them was 60’s or 70’s era QB when there was no salary cap and they could be awful for 5-8 years but finally develop (they also got next to no pay which would have influenced their timeline). And even those had made a conference championship game by their seventh season starting.

Since this is Dak’s 9th season, he will need to break all time NFL history in making the conference title game this season with his original team. Here’s to hoping the defense can Dilfer us a SB. Keep opponents to 6 points or less (and ask Dak to please not gift any points away).
You lose all credibility when you intentionally misconstrue the amount of years a player has been on your team.

This is going to be Dak's 8th season (7th playing due to injuries), not 9th.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You're not going to make a very good case for staying with a QB and paying him $50M+ a year who most don't think will win you a super bowl either.
I don’t think he’s going to make 50+ million a year unless he has a great 2023 season. From the knowledgeable football people I’ve listened to most seem to think the Cowboys can win a Super Bowl with Dak. Most who don’t think the team can win a Super Bowl with him are on this board. Lol The Cowboys have only won Super Bowls with two QBs in their entire history. Romo was good enough to win a Super Bowl had his teams been good enough, and so is Dak if he can return to his form from at least a couple of years ago and the team continues to improve. Too many are pinning it entirely on him for the Cowboys lack of postseason success, but he already has as many playoff wins as Romo in fewer years. Romo never had as good a playoff game as Dak had against Tampa and Romo never won a road playoff game. Dak is a lot better than fans on this board give him credit for. We’ll find out after this season whether the Cowboys plan on going forward with him the next few years.

conner01

Reaction score

Football is about much more than just a QB
Ask Elway, manning, Marino and others
TEAMS win SB

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
You’re not going to make a very good case for moving on from a QB who’s leading you to the playoffs. No team moves on from a QB that’s leading them to the playoffs. They move on from QBs that aren’t leading them to the playoffs. Making it seem like Dak is on par with Trent Dilfer is laughable! Hopefully you didn’t waste this much time on your previous posts, trying to make a case for moving on from him.
There a difference between LEADING them to the playoffs....and riding along to the playoffs.

Dilfer and Brad Johnson didn't LEAD their teams to SuperBowl championships...they just did a good job of not getting in the way of the true superstars.

Dak tends to get in the way....but even if he doesn't derail them...you don't back the Brinks truck up for a QB just because he's learned not to screw things up. Any smart QB can do that.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Jerry is happy staying relevant.
Jerry is in charge.
Jerry will keep going with Dak
As long as we make the playoffs.
That's kinda how I see it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
There a difference between LEADING them to the playoffs....and riding along to the playoffs.

Dilfer and Brad Johnson didn't LEAD their teams to SuperBowl championships...they just did a good job of not getting in the way of the true superstars.

Dak tends to get in the way....but even if he doesn't derail them...you don't back the Brinks truck up for a QB just because he's learned not to screw things up. Any smart QB can do that.
You’re not a very clued up football fan if you honestly believe what you just posted. Lol Dak is a leader! Go compare his numbers to Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson. Those QBs were carried to championships by great defenses. Dak has won a lot of games for the Cowboys. If you think he’s just riding along to the playoffs behind a great team, then you’ll never be taken seriously by the knowledgeable football fans here. To say Dak gets in the way is ridiculous! You might be better off sticking to basketball.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Philly moved on from a QB that helped them get to a super bowl. It happens.

You should instead be saying that this only happens in Dallas.
They moved on because he was a flash in the pan backup and they thought Carson Wentz who was having an MVP year until his injury was their future. They gave up the second overall pick for him just a year earlier. If you were trying to make a point, you just failed miserably.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In my opinion, the only reason a team should extend a quarterback in the current CBA and average cost is if they can both show immense offensive success in the postseason against top defenses and reach at least a conference championship game within their first 6 seasons in the league as a starter (regardless of injury history).
In Jerry Jones' 34-year opinion, the starting quarterback should be retained if-and-until he acquires a successor via the draft or free agency that he supports 100%. Of course, the starting quarterback can choose to retire (Troy Aikman) or <expletive> up (Quincy Carter), creating an opportunity for another quarterback to possibly upset Jones' 100% support standard.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
QB's don't grow on trees. That said, paying any QB a huge contract is a mistake unless they have top 5 talent. Spend some of that saved money in the trenches and whatever QB you have will be better. Of course, you still risk sucking for years until that exceptional QB comes along. But then if you really suck, then you have a better chance to draft the right QB.

GINeric

Reaction score
You lose all credibility when you intentionally misconstrue the amount of years a player has been on your team.

This is going to be Dak's 8th season (7th playing due to injuries), not 9th.

Anytime someone isn't intelligent enough and lack a strong football IQ to try and paint Dak as a below average QB....

You shouldn't be surprised that they're not smart enough to know how long Dak has been in the league.

When I say low IQ Dak haters or troll.... yall thought I was just tossing insults. Nahhh.... they do it to themselves.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Keep Dak at all cost I mean who doesn't like FG after FG and 3 and outs galore and a bunch of turnovers and interceptions?
How about his gift of choking against real defenses esp in the playoffs?
Dak of bust baby and by the way what's another 10 years of hunger?
30 years,40 years, what's the difference at this point....right????
Extend him now with a massive deal that tops all other QB (60 million for 4 years i.e.so he can get another bite of the apple) and let's all sit back and watch his greatness unfold to absolutely nothing but hot air like the last 7 years.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Mostly true

but Alex Smith, Jimmy G and some others say Hello