CFZ Breaking History

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I have made my case on moving on from a quarterback after unsuccessful postseason attempts over a certain number of years. In my opinion, the only reason a team should extend a quarterback in the current CBA and average cost is if they can both show immense offensive success in the postseason against top defenses and reach at least a conference championship game within their first 6 seasons in the league as a starter (regardless of injury history). I mean extensions at top dollar (like top 3 on average pay per year plus high end guaranteed money).

The reason for this is simply to not continue building on a problematic foundation (cost of a quarterback makes it difficult to fill out the roster-more difficult depending on QB talent-it also ties your offense to a person for at least 3 years). I believe that it is better to boom or bust rather than tread water perpetually. If a quarterback is showing the excellent offensive output in the postseason-where points are scored on average without defensive turnover boosts (and taking standard deviation into account-not booming one game and laying an egg in another).

I studied a list of both AFC and NFC championship appearances all the way back to 1970 and found only a few guys that had started with a team and never left the franchise and then suddenly made the conference championship late in their career. Everyone of them was 60’s or 70’s era QB when there was no salary cap and they could be awful for 5-8 years but finally develop (they also got next to no pay which would have influenced their timeline). And even those had made a conference championship game by their seventh season starting.

Since this is Dak’s 9th season, he will need to break all time NFL history in making the conference title game this season with his original team. Here’s to hoping the defense can Dilfer us a SB. Keep opponents to 6 points or less (and ask Dak to please not gift any points away).
I'm willing to bet $100 dollars right now that you never said the same thing about Tony Romo.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I have made my case on moving on from a quarterback after unsuccessful postseason attempts over a certain number of years. In my opinion, the only reason a team should extend a quarterback in the current CBA and average cost is if they can both show immense offensive success in the postseason against top defenses and reach at least a conference championship game within their first 6 seasons in the league as a starter (regardless of injury history). I mean extensions at top dollar (like top 3 on average pay per year plus high end guaranteed money).

The reason for this is simply to not continue building on a problematic foundation (cost of a quarterback makes it difficult to fill out the roster-more difficult depending on QB talent-it also ties your offense to a person for at least 3 years). I believe that it is better to boom or bust rather than tread water perpetually. If a quarterback is showing the excellent offensive output in the postseason-where points are scored on average without defensive turnover boosts (and taking standard deviation into account-not booming one game and laying an egg in another).

I studied a list of both AFC and NFC championship appearances all the way back to 1970 and found only a few guys that had started with a team and never left the franchise and then suddenly made the conference championship late in their career. Everyone of them was 60’s or 70’s era QB when there was no salary cap and they could be awful for 5-8 years but finally develop (they also got next to no pay which would have influenced their timeline). And even those had made a conference championship game by their seventh season starting.

Since this is Dak’s 9th season, he will need to break all time NFL history in making the conference title game this season with his original team. Here’s to hoping the defense can Dilfer us a SB. Keep opponents to 6 points or less (and ask Dak to please not gift any points away).

CCBoy

Reaction score

Doug Williams, Warren Moon, Kurt Warner...

GINeric

Reaction score
Keep Dak at all cost I mean who doesn't like FG after FG and 3 and outs galore and a bunch of turnovers and interceptions?
How about his gift of choking against real defenses esp in the playoffs?
Dak of bust baby and by the way what's another 10 years of hunger?
30 years,40 years, what's the difference at this point....right????
Extend him now with a massive deal that tops all other QB (60 million for 4 years i.e.so he can get another bite of the apple) and let's all sit back and watch his greatness unfold to absolutely nothing but hot air like the last 7 years.

Well your quarterback just choked in the Superbowl, while playing with the best roster in football a couple of months ago. So when your quarterback learns how to close the deal, comeback and talk to us lil guy!!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
QB's don't grow on trees. That said, paying any QB a huge contract is a mistake unless they have top 5 talent. Spend some of that saved money in the trenches and whatever QB you have will be better. Of course, you still risk sucking for years until that exceptional QB comes along. But then if you really suck, then you have a better chance to draft the right QB.
That exceptional qb may never come. More non top 5 QBs have won a SB then top 5 in recent memory.

CCBoy

Reaction score
When Tom Brady took the field on Saturday against the Titans, he became just the second quarterback in NFL history to play a postseason game after turning 42. Brady was already the second-oldest quarterback to play in the playoffs, an accomplishment he reached last year. (Only George Blanda, who played quarterback for the Raiders in a playoff game at age 43, was older.)

By the time the weekend was over, two other quarterbacks became the third- and fourth-oldest quarterbacks ever to play in an NFL postseason game.

Saints quarterback Drew Brees, who turns 41 next week, became the third-oldest playoff quarterback ever in the Saints’ loss to the Vikings.

And Eagles quarterback Josh McCown, who turns 41 in July, became the fourth-oldest playoff quarterback ever when he took the field to replace injured starter Carson Wentz on Sunday.

So three of the four oldest quarterbacks to play in the playoffs in NFL history played over the weekend.

Three of the four oldest quarterbacks in playoff history played this weekend​

Published January 6, 2020 06:54 AM

Blitzen

Reaction score
Hard to take this post serious when you don't even know how long Dak has been in the league.....
My stance would be the same. 8th season not ninth. Lol. What the homers like yourself mean is that you disagree with all my points regardless of whether I made any mistakes as to number of years played.

If you have faith in Dak and want him extended, good for you. I do not-based on the entire NFL history. Good QB’s do grow on trees. Lots of good QB’s on terrible teams end up looking terrible. Good QB’s on great teams look good to very good.

Blitzen

Reaction score
When Tom Brady took the field on Saturday against the Titans, he became just the second quarterback in NFL history to play a postseason game after turning 42. Brady was already the second-oldest quarterback to play in the playoffs, an accomplishment he reached last year. (Only George Blanda, who played quarterback for the Raiders in a playoff game at age 43, was older.)

By the time the weekend was over, two other quarterbacks became the third- and fourth-oldest quarterbacks ever to play in an NFL postseason game.

Saints quarterback Drew Brees, who turns 41 next week, became the third-oldest playoff quarterback ever in the Saints’ loss to the Vikings.

And Eagles quarterback Josh McCown, who turns 41 in July, became the fourth-oldest playoff quarterback ever when he took the field to replace injured starter Carson Wentz on Sunday.

So three of the four oldest quarterbacks to play in the playoffs in NFL history played over the weekend.

Three of the four oldest quarterbacks in playoff history played this weekend​

Published January 6, 2020 06:54 AM
Drew Brees and Tom Brady do not get to be mentioned with reference to Dak Prescott. Completely different talent levels and style of play.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Drew Brees and Tom Brady do not get to be mentioned with reference to Dak Prescott. Completely different talent levels and style of play.
Ages involved as to potential skills...no, that age is mentioned. Darrell Green played until age 42 at CB. Factors can be overcome.

And again: Doug Williams, Warren Moon, Kurt Warner...that won at top levels beyond the age of 30 and started to win in playoffs or Super Bowl, in the NFL.

In regards to Prescott, he was drafted originally as a runner/passer type...

Last edited:

Blitzen

Reaction score
You’re not going to make a very good case for moving on from a QB who’s leading you to the playoffs. No team moves on from a QB that’s leading them to the playoffs. They move on from QBs that aren’t leading them to the playoffs. Making it seem like Dak is on par with Trent Dilfer is laughable! Hopefully you didn’t waste this much time on your previous posts, trying to make a case for moving on from him.
If Dak continues to perform against a SF type defense in the playoffs like he has for 2 years, it will take a Dilfer level defense to succeed.

And teams do move on from playoff QB’s. The team just needs conviction and the stones to try for a higher level.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
My stance would be the same. 8th season not ninth. Lol. What the homers like yourself mean is that you disagree with all my points regardless of whether I made any mistakes as to number of years played.

If you have faith in Dak and want him extended, good for you. I do not-based on the entire NFL history. Good QB’s do grow on trees. Lots of good QB’s on terrible teams end up looking terrible. Good QB’s on great teams look good to very good.
It’s just a credibility thing. Not trying to offend you.

As far as good QBs grow on trees? There’s around 90-100 quarterbacks in the NFL…..about 12-13 are at least good. That does not represent “growing on trees” IMO.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Ages involved as to potential skills...no, that age is mentioned. Darrell Green played until age 42 at CB. Factors can be overcome.
Both players had already made it to conference title games when they were much younger. Also had won SB’s too. Most teams will not keep an aging QB on if they are not reaching certain thresholds. They move on-typically because coaches and GM’s will get fired if they continue to fall short in the playoffs. And Darrell Green was one of the best athletes to ever play CB.

DFWJC

Reaction score

The same or a different organization shouldn't matter, at least by your criteria.

Therefore, Matt Stafford just won his 1st Super Bowl 2 years ago after finally playing on a team good enough to pull it off.

Blitzen

Reaction score
It’s just a credibility thing. Not trying to offend you.

As far as good QBs grow on trees? There’s around 90-100 quarterbacks in the NFL…..about 12-13 are at least good. That does not represent “growing on trees” IMO.
I think it’s more than 12-13. I believe that as long as the QB can go into stadiums and block out the noise and just do easier plays, avoid risks, and take a couple well calculated gambles the points will come in this league.

What’s there to be credible about? I made a mistake on years played-big deal. My argument relates to when a player has had sufficient time to make an assessment as to how far the team can realistically go. QB’s require tons of cap space, but more importantly they dominate the offensive scheming and somewhat the rest of the offensive personnel. Moving on from a QB can knock over lots of other dominoes.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Both players had already made it to conference title games when they were much younger. Also had won SB’s too. Most teams will not keep an aging QB on if they are not reaching certain thresholds. They move on-typically because coaches and GM’s will get fired if they continue to fall short in the playoffs. And Darrell Green was one of the best athletes to ever play CB.
Brees was selected by the San Diego Chargers with the first pick of the second round of the 2001 NFL draft. He became the team’s starting quarterback in his second season, but he failed to quickly turn around the then-woeful Chargers and in his third year lost playing time to 41-year-old Doug Flutie. When the Chargers acquired promising rookie quarterback Philip Rivers in 2004, it was assumed that Brees’s days in San Diego were numbered. Brees, however, remained the Chargers’ starting quarterback during the 2004 season and led the team to a surprising 12–4 record en route to earning the NFL’s Comeback Player of the Year award and Pro Bowl honours. He followed this with a solid if unspectacular season in 2005, but a shoulder injury in the season finale made the Chargers wary of signing him to a long-term contract, and Brees instead signed a free agent deal with the Saints.

In his first year in New Orleans, Brees reversed the fortunes of a team that had gone 3–13 the previous season, leading the Saints to a 10–6 record in 2006 and a berth in the National Football Conference (NFC) championship game. While playing in head coach Sean Payton’s innovative offense, he led the league in passing yards that year and was named first-team All-Pro for his efforts. In 2008 Brees threw for 5,069 yards—15 fewer than Dan Marino’s single-season record—and was once again voted to the Pro Bowl. In 2009 Brees had another Pro Bowl season and set an NFL record by completing 70.6 percent of his passes. More significantly, he led the Saints to a franchise-best 13–0 start and the franchise’s first Super Bowl berth, a victory over the Indianapolis Colts. In the Super Bowl, Brees completed 32 passes (which tied Tom Brady’s Super Bowl record) for 288 yards and two touchdowns, and he was named the game’s Most Valuable Player.

Brees again led the Saints to the playoffs the following season, but the team was upset by a seven-win Seattle Seahawks squad in the opening round of the postseason. In 2011 Brees broke Marino’s single-season passing yardage record, finishing the season with 5,476 yards through the air. (Peyton Manning surpassed Brees’s mark by one yard in 2013.) He also broke his own league record for completion percentage (71.2), established an all-time NFL mark by passing for more than 300 yards in 13 games, and threw a personal-best 46 touchdown passes. In 2012 he broke Johnny Unitas’s record for most consecutive games with a touchdown pass when he threw for a score in his 48th straight game (his record ultimately reached 54 games), and he finished the year with 5,177 passing yards and a league-high 43 touchdowns. In 2013 Brees threw for 5,162 yards to notch his fourth career 5,000-yard season (at the time, no other player in NFL history had more than one). He again led the league in passing yardage (along with Ben Roethlisberger of the Pittsburgh Steelers) in 2014, with 4,952 yards, but the Saints had a disappointing season, going 7–9 in a weak division (all four NFC South teams finished the season with a losing record) to miss a playoff berth. Brees was the top passer in the NFL in both of the following seasons, with 4,870 and 5,208 yards, respectively, but the Saints remained mired in mediocrity, with consecutive 7–9 campaigns.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Drew-Brees

Even Drew Brees had an up and down career with good productions...very similar to Dak Prescott.

You have a closed mind to what is possible with Dak.

Blitzen

Reaction score
The same or a different organization shouldn't matter, at least by your criteria.

Therefore, Matt Stafford just won his 1st Super Bowl 2 years ago after finally playing on a team good enough to pull it off.
It does matter when you are talking about roster construction. Maybe there is a team that Dak could go to and make a conference title. Stafford was not going to win with that Detroit team.

It’s not like Stafford was super human for the Rams. He fit well with what McVay wanted and it all paid off. Goff looks way better with a great running game in Detroit. I’m sure Stafford laughs about how they waited to build a great oline AFTER he left.

Flamma

Reaction score

Dak is one of those QBs you have to pay for a lack of a better choice. It's like hiking through the desert and coming upon someone selling a bottle of water for 50 bucks. You have no choice. Pay the 50 or die. And then you still might die anyway. But you have that tiny bit of hope.

You can't use your criteria. Quarterbacks like Blake Bortles and Case Keenum made it to championship games. You would pay those bums? Teams took them there.

Unless you have a top end elite QB that will make your team a contender almost every year, you're going to need a stacked team to make a deep run in the playoffs, or get to a SB. That's what the Eagles and 49ers are doing, that's what Dallas has to do.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Brees was selected by the San Diego Chargers with the first pick of the second round of the 2001 NFL draft. He became the team’s starting quarterback in his second season, but he failed to quickly turn around the then-woeful Chargers and in his third year lost playing time to 41-year-old Doug Flutie. When the Chargers acquired promising rookie quarterback Philip Rivers in 2004, it was assumed that Brees’s days in San Diego were numbered. Brees, however, remained the Chargers’ starting quarterback during the 2004 season and led the team to a surprising 12–4 record en route to earning the NFL’s Comeback Player of the Year award and Pro Bowl honours. He followed this with a solid if unspectacular season in 2005, but a shoulder injury in the season finale made the Chargers wary of signing him to a long-term contract, and Brees instead signed a free agent deal with the Saints.

In his first year in New Orleans, Brees reversed the fortunes of a team that had gone 3–13 the previous season, leading the Saints to a 10–6 record in 2006 and a berth in the National Football Conference (NFC) championship game. While playing in head coach Sean Payton’s innovative offense, he led the league in passing yards that year and was named first-team All-Pro for his efforts. In 2008 Brees threw for 5,069 yards—15 fewer than Dan Marino’s single-season record—and was once again voted to the Pro Bowl. In 2009 Brees had another Pro Bowl season and set an NFL record by completing 70.6 percent of his passes. More significantly, he led the Saints to a franchise-best 13–0 start and the franchise’s first Super Bowl berth, a victory over the Indianapolis Colts. In the Super Bowl, Brees completed 32 passes (which tied Tom Brady’s Super Bowl record) for 288 yards and two touchdowns, and he was named the game’s Most Valuable Player.

Brees again led the Saints to the playoffs the following season, but the team was upset by a seven-win Seattle Seahawks squad in the opening round of the postseason. In 2011 Brees broke Marino’s single-season passing yardage record, finishing the season with 5,476 yards through the air. (Peyton Manning surpassed Brees’s mark by one yard in 2013.) He also broke his own league record for completion percentage (71.2), established an all-time NFL mark by passing for more than 300 yards in 13 games, and threw a personal-best 46 touchdown passes. In 2012 he broke Johnny Unitas’s record for most consecutive games with a touchdown pass when he threw for a score in his 48th straight game (his record ultimately reached 54 games), and he finished the year with 5,177 passing yards and a league-high 43 touchdowns. In 2013 Brees threw for 5,162 yards to notch his fourth career 5,000-yard season (at the time, no other player in NFL history had more than one). He again led the league in passing yardage (along with Ben Roethlisberger of the Pittsburgh Steelers) in 2014, with 4,952 yards, but the Saints had a disappointing season, going 7–9 in a weak division (all four NFC South teams finished the season with a losing record) to miss a playoff berth. Brees was the top passer in the NFL in both of the following seasons, with 4,870 and 5,208 yards, respectively, but the Saints remained mired in mediocrity, with consecutive 7–9 campaigns.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Drew-Brees

Even Drew Brees had an up and down career with good productions...very similar to Dak Prescott.

You have a closed mind to what is possible with Dak.
And Drew ended up in a conference title game before his seventh season. He made it to the NFCCG in his fifth season (as a starter).

I’m actually pretty level headed. What they are trying to do with Dak would break all time NFL records.