Breaking News: OJ being sentenced

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
THUMPER;2462722 said:
A gun was involved, that makes a lot of the sentence mandatory, first offense or not.

Yeah but having the kidnapping charge added was pretty bogus. It wouldn't have flown most of the time. OJ did it to himself. I knew they were going to throw the book at him. They stacked the deck. And it may just be justice after all.

WarC

Reaction score
jobberone;2462687 said:
For a first offender it's pretty steep esp the kidnapping charge. Not saying anything about him deserving it or not. Just saying that's an unusual charge for what most would consider false imprisonment at the most. Can't tell me they weren't applying justice for the murders. Not fair but in the end perhaps its just afterall.

My thoughts are along similar lines. The Judge mentioned the murder trial in her own statement before reading the sentencing, attempting to distance herself from it but acknowledging it at the same time.

IMO it was very heavy handed and it appeared to me that the Judge had it out for OJ. I watched most of the sentencing and her statement was easily the worst of them all, including OJ's own and his co-defendent Stewart's statement. I thought their attorneys represented them well at the sentencing and I feel that the case alone only warranted the six year minimum for OJ and a lighter sentence yet for Stewart.

And this is coming from a guy who admittedly dislikes OJ and thinks him to be guilty of those murders.

WarC

Reaction score
jobberone;2462883 said:
And it may just be justice after all.

It may be morally just but it was still sad to watch, as the sentencing looked like a second murder trial. The punishment, especially for the other defendent, far outweighed the crime IMO.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Karma. Now Simpson will meet Bubba in prison!

bubba1.jpg

WarC

Reaction score
Xy_Oldone;2462656 said:
Glass, a no-nonsense judge known for her tough sentences, imposed such a complex series of consecutive and concurrent sentences that even many attorneys watching the case were confused as to how much time Simpson got.

Many Attorneys? Heck, Glass herself stumbled on reading out the sentences, especially for Stewart's charges. The defense attorneys, more than once, had to ask her to clarify whether one charge was supposed to be concurrent with the other as she read through them one by one and added additional time because of "the violence of the crime" (for there being a gun involved).

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
WarC;2462903 said:
My thoughts are along similar lines. The Judge mentioned the murder trial in her own statement before reading the sentencing, attempting to distance herself from it but acknowledging it at the same time.

IMO it was very heavy handed and it appeared to me that the Judge had it out for OJ. I watched most of the sentencing and her statement was easily the worst of them all, including OJ's own and his co-defendent Stewart's statement. I thought their attorneys represented them well at the sentencing and I feel that the case alone only warranted the six year minimum for OJ and a lighter sentence yet for Stewart.

And this is coming from a guy who admittedly dislikes OJ and thinks him to be guilty of those murders.

WarC;2462909 said:
It may be morally just but it was still sad to watch, as the sentencing looked like a second murder trial. The punishment, especially for the other defendent, far outweighed the crime IMO.

There's no doubt they were heavy handed with him. And that might cause the court system more problems.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
jobberone;2462687 said:
For a first offender it's pretty steep esp the kidnapping charge. Not saying anything about him deserving it or not. Just saying that's an unusual charge for what most would consider false imprisonment at the most.

Nevada law makes no distinction between false imprisonment and kidnapping.

In some states, kidnapping is only applicable if the subject is moved from one location to another. Nevada law states that forcibly detaining someone against their will, is kidnapping.