Twitter: Breer's MMQB. packed with lots good nuggets

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
LOL...WFT made a strong offer for Stafford.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/02/01/m...-stafford-trade-negotiations-los-angeles-rams

MMQB: Inside the Trade Negotiations That Gave Matthew Stafford and Sean McVay What They Wanted
The first big offseason domino fell on the eve of an unusual Super Bowl week. Here's how Matthew Stafford landed in L.A. and why he and his new coach are excited about it. Plus, Ron Rivera's important benchmark, the Senior Bowl and getting to know Arthur Smith.
ALBERT BREER
7 HOURS AGO

waving monkey

Reaction score
McVay must make this work and he's giving it his best.
it will be interesting

baltcowboy

Reaction score
No chance. The draft capital is too much. They would lose two defensive starters and high draft picks to replace them.
The Football Team has done stupid things in the past. They practically built the Rams as they are now with the RG3 trade. The Watson trade is going to blow are minds.:eek::eek:o_O

Sydla

Reaction score
No chance. The draft capital is too much. They would lose two defensive starters and high draft picks to replace them.

Until they get a QB, those defensive players won't mean anything. What you saw this past year is their ceiling until they get a legitimate QB. They only won the division because the rest of us sucked so bad.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The Stafford/Goff trade has exaggerated what the cost to acquire a QB is.

The Rams had to overpay because they have no 2021 1st rounder and they also had to pay off Detroit to take Goff.

Staffords actual worth is probably a current year 1st and a 3rd or 4th.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stafford's value was established by the only other known QB on the table and they've come forth with what it will take to get Watson. The Rodgers talk is just him getting them prepped for a new negotiation. The Stafford deal is big, in the Walker trade area but if the Watson deal happens, that will break the bank.

One thing this report establishes, there are two values. The one some here think Stafford's worth and the one established by the people who actually have to win. I was amazed at the number of posters here that I have respect for their opinions saying he wouldn't pull a 1st from any team. Citing what he's done in one of the worst NFL towns as to what he can do with a better team.

I am not turning this to Prescott but it's the same principle. There are several teams that if he was their QB, he could take them to the Big Dance as I believe Stafford can and will.

Some really have let it all come down to the QB and do not consider the team enough. And the coaching staff is part of the team. Stafford is going to the best HC he's had since he came into the NFL.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
The Stafford/Goff trade has exaggerated what the cost to acquire a QB is.

The Rams had to overpay because they have no 2021 1st rounder and they also had to pay off Detroit to take Goff.

Staffords actual worth is probably a current year 1st and a 3rd or 4th.

Also the fact that LA's first round picks will be late 20's at best the next few years. This isn't a team giving up multiple high first rounders.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Stafford's value was established by the only other known QB on the table and they've come forth with what it will take to get Watson. The Rodgers talk is just him getting them prepped for a new negotiation. The Stafford deal is big, in the Walker trade area but if the Watson deal happens, that will break the bank.

One thing this report establishes, there are two values. The one some here think Stafford's worth and the one established by the people who actually have to win. I was amazed at the number of posters here that I have respect for their opinions saying he wouldn't pull a 1st from any team. Citing what he's done in one of the worst NFL towns as to what he can do with a better team.

I am not turning this to Prescott but it's the same principle. There are several teams that if he was their QB, he could take them to the Big Dance as I believe Stafford can and will.

Some really have let it all come down to the QB and do not consider the team enough. And the coaching staff is part of the team. Stafford is going to the best HC he's had since he came into the NFL.
Stafford is 33 this week.
This isn't a Wentz or Goff you try to make over or fix.
Detroit has had plenty of issues but people pretend Stafford was alone there and he wasn't. Golladay and Hockensen are elite weapons.
All the metrics that remove team circumstance place Stafford toward the median line just a few places above Goff.
LAR has pushed a lot of cards to the table for a very modest improvement and with little means to place talent around the guys currently signed.
It'd shock me exactly zero if Stafford was a bit better than Goff yet they missed the playoffs because they fell back a decent way on defense.
They have 5 defensive starters hitting free agency and just the DC who had done a superb job.
The roster is insanely top heavy and they lack draft capital to pad it with coveted youth.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HOU has said that's their demands but will any team offer that?

They have a real problem, they have a QB that does not want to play for them and is willing to sit out. They also haven't endeared any fans or media to them with their interviews, they actually make the Cowboys FO look really good.

Here's the other side of that. They're demanding 2 D starters from the trade partner, think those players want to play for those doofuses? HOU is the toxic dump in the NFL and we haven't heard from Watt yet, but we will.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
HOU has said that's their demands but will any team offer that?

They have a real problem, they have a QB that does not want to play for them and is willing to sit out. They also haven't endeared any fans or media to them with their interviews, they actually make the Cowboys FO look really good.

Here's the other side of that. They're demanding 2 D starters from the trade partner, think those players want to play for those doofuses? HOU is the toxic dump in the NFL and we haven't heard from Watt yet, but we will.
HOU will get a fortune. FORTUNE.
There are Seattle fans saying they'd trade Russ plus an R1 pick to get Watson....
He is a young, modern QB with elite tools that likely only gets better once he processes more rapidly which comes with age.
He's locked in at 29.3 AAV for 5 years.