Twitter: Breer's MMQB. packed with lots good nuggets

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The Stafford/Goff trade has exaggerated what the cost to acquire a QB is.

The Rams had to overpay because they have no 2021 1st rounder and they also had to pay off Detroit to take Goff.

Staffords actual worth is probably a current year 1st and a 3rd or 4th.

This is true ....well said

Stafford price is an exception, not the rule. His real value is probably in the range of what 2-3 other teams offered, a 1st plus one or two other picks as you mention.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stafford is 33 this week.
This isn't a Wentz or Goff you try to make over or fix.
Detroit has had plenty of issues but people pretend Stafford was alone there and he wasn't. Golladay and Hockensen are elite weapons.
All the metrics that remove team circumstance place Stafford toward the median line just a few places above Goff.
LAR has pushed a lot of cards to the table for a very modest improvement and with little means to place talent around the guys currently signed.
It'd shock me exactly zero if Stafford was a bit better than Goff yet they missed the playoffs because they fell back a decent way on defense.
They have 5 defensive starters hitting free agency and just the DC who had done a superb job.
The roster is insanely top heavy and they lack draft capital to pad it with coveted youth.
We have a different definition of "elite".

Coveted youth isn't their priority, getting a ring with this team is. Like I said, many here are not qualified to evaluate QB potential. They're just opinions.

They went after Rodgers first and then sweetened the deal for Stafford. According to the report, once the Rodgers deal was not materializing, McVay became Stafford centric before they came with the offer. I will bow to his opinion over anyone here not employed as a HC in the NFL. And there were 4 or 5 other teams to offer a 1st and one of them went with 2 jacking the price up.

The fact is none of us know, we're just opining without any real knowledge but people who are paid to do that are willing to hitch their wagon to the Stafford star.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Stafford and his wife wanted to live in LA. MS agent drove this bus.
Detroit went along to facilitate and got a heck of a deal in the process.
McVay put a lot of skin in this game but if this is wrong and he and the GM will be out of work.
He's banking a lot on his system being elite and elevating MS far behind anything he's done previously.

And if we are being honest it is a weird fit.
McVay is the king of the condensed formation. He lines up everyone fairly tight then uses that to RPO you to do death.
Everyone is inside and can block or go out for passes. Can run it inside or outside off these formations.
It's very against the grain of most offenses which seek to spread you out and as such very effective and unique.

But Stafford isn't really a quick read guy. He's an aggressive downfield guy with lower than average accuracy.
He's a gunslinger. Which can be both good and bad but usually involves a very different style of offense.
Pop, pop. bang. Stafford gives away downs to take shots.
McVay uses every down to move the ball in more 5-7 yard clips.
Going to be interesting to see how these things get married.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is true ....well said

Stafford price is an exception, not the rule. His real value is probably in the range of what 2-3 other teams offered, a 1st plus one or two other picks as you mention.
Just supply and demand and LA's demand was for a vet QB that won't put homicidal thoughts in McVay's head. His hair didn't always stand straight up, a dumb QB can do that.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
We have a different definition of "elite".

Coveted youth isn't their priority, getting a ring with this team is. Like I said, many here are not qualified to evaluate QB potential. They're just opinions.

They went after Rodgers first and then sweetened the deal for Stafford. According to the report, once the Rodgers deal was not materializing, McVay became Stafford centric before they came with the offer. I will bow to his opinion over anyone here not employed as a HC in the NFL. And there were 4 or 5 other teams to offer a 1st and one of them went with 2 jacking the price up.

The fact is none of us know, we're just opining without any real knowledge but people who are paid to do that are willing to hitch their wagon to the Stafford star.
Feel free to trust McVay all you want. I don't.
There's zero to suggest this actually works and quite a lot to suggest this was a tragically bad trade.

Going zero sum to chase a title is goofy if you don't have the best cards to play. And LAR doesn't.
They have significant holes to fill in the toughest division in football.

Matt Stafford hasn't won anything of note since Highland Park.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This trade is based on one central idea for LA, the time is now and whatever they have to pay is the price. We've seen this before every time a team decided the window is open but fears it closing, they get real active.

Their future is only as long as they can keep that window open in the best division in the NFL. If they can't move Goff and SF got Stafford, that window narrows.

McVay isn't getting Stafford for what he's been in football purgatory, he got him for what he can be in LA. He didn't just get him for his arm but for his mind, which is why Goff is in DET.

I watched him play at Highland Park and at UGA and now DET and he's got as good an arm as I've seen for someone not named Rodgers. He is unorthodox and does have that arm position gunslinger delivery but he is a playmaker with weapons.

ESisback

Reaction score
Until they get a QB, those defensive players won't mean anything. What you saw this past year is their ceiling until they get a legitimate QB. They only won the division because the rest of us sucked so bad.

I agree. They solve their QB problem, and they’re a tough out!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Feel free to trust McVay all you want. I don't.
There's zero to suggest this actually works and quite a lot to suggest this was a tragically bad trade.

Going zero sum to chase a title is goofy if you don't have the best cards to play. And LAR doesn't.
They have significant holes to fill in the toughest division in football.

Matt Stafford hasn't won anything of note since Highland Park.
Not a matter of trusting McVay, I really don't care as I am not a Rams fan but I understand where the FO of LA is coming from, the future is now and they had to upgrade at QB or the window is squandered.

You are right, this could all go south like the Dream Team did, they were given the trophy before they ever hit the field because of the reverse thinking about Stafford. Everything was based on what that Dream Team had done, just like it is with Stafford only it's what he hasn't done.. Not what they could or would do.

No question it is a risk but how much of a risk? Are there jobs on the line? McVay and Snead get jobs based on what they've done and Kronke is probably in on it and may have even instigated it. He's an owner without a ring, playing in the league's new palace in the toughest sports town to stay relevant in.

Give me a team that goes for it instead of a slow death one like the Cowboys. I don't care if they strike out, swing away.

Last edited:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
LOL...WFT made a strong offer for Stafford.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/02/01/m...-stafford-trade-negotiations-los-angeles-rams

MMQB: Inside the Trade Negotiations That Gave Matthew Stafford and Sean McVay What They Wanted
The first big offseason domino fell on the eve of an unusual Super Bowl week. Here's how Matthew Stafford landed in L.A. and why he and his new coach are excited about it. Plus, Ron Rivera's important benchmark, the Senior Bowl and getting to know Arthur Smith.
ALBERT BREER
7 HOURS AGO

I would love to draft either Nasiridleen or Deablo, hope they fall as they don't have a divined position so to speak.

Bizwah

Reaction score
I don't like hearing Dak will be franchised again.

It's hard to believe Jerry botched this so badly.

ESisback

Reaction score
I wonder if Jerry cares at all what happens five years from now. Maybe he thinks ‘go all in on defense, franchise Dak, and challenge in 2021, because after doesn’t mean diddly to me!’

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Did you know that Washington Football Team went 11 years without a first round draft pick.
LA Rams say ... "Here we come, Washington!"

Turk

Reaction score
They are trying to copy the Bronco's when they got Manning. BUT the Bronco's got the trophy by making their defense a monster; by the time they actually won the SB Manning was a pathetic shadow of himself.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Not as matter of trusting McVay, I really don't care as I am not a Rams fan but I understand where the FO of LA is coming from, the future is now and they had to upgrade at QB or the window is squandered.

You are right, this could all go south like the Dream Team did, they were given the trophy before they ever hit the field because of the reverse thinking about Stafford. Everything was based on what that Dream Team had done, just like it is with Stafford only it's what he hasn't done.. Not what they could or would do.

No question it is a risk but how much of a risk? Are there jobs on the line? McVay and Snead get jobs based on what they've done and Kronke is probably in on it and may have even instigated it. He's an owner without a ring, playing in the league's new palace in the toughest sports town to stay relevant in.

Give me a team that goes for it instead of a slow death one like the Cowboys. I don't care if they strike out, swing away.
This is a lot like Philly 3 years ago.
And Philly did get their title.
They bet it all and somehow had enough talent for Nick Foles to lead a win over a Tom Brady led team.
I thought that gamble was crazy and short-sighted but it paid off I guess.
I say I guess because those moves robbed their roster of youth, development and cap space.
They just lost the SB winning Coach, face a terrible cap situation and are in a QB quandary.

ESisback

Reaction score
They bet it all and somehow had enough talent for Nick Foles to lead a win over a Tom Brady led team.
I say I guess because those moves robbed their roster of youth, development and cap space.
They just lost the SB winning Coach, face a terrible cap situation and are in a QB quandary.

Yep! Payoffs, tradeoffs—nothing’s forever, nothing’s foolproof. Eventually, good times come and go, and the negative folks will never run out of reasons to stress out...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Brady is what, 0-3 in SB's against the NFCE? :lmao:
And he is referred to as the GOAT. :muttley:
Which he is, but had to say it. This line is for the ones that would take it serious. :laugh:

ESisback

Reaction score
IMHO, Brady’s in the “Cowboys Club” now. The league will infuse him wherever they can for rating$. People sick of him LOVE to watch him lose, which equals ratings, PLUS it elevates the interest in/earning potential of future GOAT’s (Mahomes)!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think they go into something like this with eyes wide open. They know there is a price to pay but if it works, it's a small price.

I don't think Lurie would change anything, because that ring's the thing.