Video: Brett Favre on Romo's style of play

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Sidenote: Just for old-time's sake, I watched Favre's interception vs. the Saints on Youtube again and it still might be the worst throw/decision I've ever seen by a QB. Just gets worse and worse every time I see it

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Sidenote: Just for old-time's sake, I watched Favre's interception vs. the Saints on Youtube again and it still might be the worst throw/decision I've ever seen by a QB. Just gets worse and worse every time I see it

Yeah. He does the cardinal sin throws across his body.
I see what he wanted to do...but... So did defender

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I think that is a lot of the reason why we play down to some teams. You get a Romo who kind of goes into a conservative mode when he doesn't feel like it's going to be a shootout. You see us down 14 or 21 points in a game we've struggled in offensively, then all of a sudden you see Romo bringing the guns out so to speak. I wish we could come out with that mentality that we're down 21 in the beginning of the game.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Favre had several playoff ending ints.

One vs Philly during McNabb years. The other when giants went to Elis first SB.

Those are forgotten since he has a ring.

Galian Beast

Reaction score

Favre is seen as one of the best QBs in NFL history. His overall record was 13-11. This over 20 years in the nfl.

Romo has a long way to go, yet people want to write the book on him as if it were finished.

perrykemp

Reaction score

I don't think anybody has forgotten Favre's back breaking interceptions. He had plenty. On the other hand he won 3 consecutive MVPs, threw for 500+ TDs, and had 9 seasons with 30+ TD seasons. Consider for a moment that Romo has 192 TDs and just two seasons with 30+ TDs and it makes you realize how productive Favre was (when he wasn't throwing INTs).

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I don't think anybody has forgotten Favre's back breaking interceptions. He had plenty. On the other hand he won 3 consecutive MVPs, threw for 500+ TDs, and had 9 seasons with 30+ TD seasons. Consider for a moment that Romo has 192 TDs and just two seasons with 30+ TDs and it makes you realize how productive Favre was (when he wasn't throwing INTs).

That's a bit misleading. Romo has a 5.5% td percentage compared to Favre who has a 5% qb rating. The fact is Romo simply hasn't had as many seasons as Favre, but he just as productive if not more so.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Favre is seen as one of the best QBs in NFL history. His overall record was 13-11. This over 20 years in the nfl.

Romo has a long way to go, yet people want to write the book on him as if it were finished.

Good point on Favres longevity. Agree he was a great QB.

Just pointing out even the best have thrown some picks in big games, but get a pass once a SB is won.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score

Yeah, maybe he should stay in the league for 20 years like Favre and rack up all those stats.

perrykemp

Reaction score
That's a bit misleading. Romo has a 5.5% td percentage compared to Favre who has a 5% qb rating. The fact is Romo simply hasn't had as many seasons as Favre, but he just as productive if not more so.

I hear you. Adjusting for eras I think they are comparable in TD %, however, it's a bit hard to pin Favre down to a single era since he played for 20 years.

Favre had some really bad years in terms of TD % in the tail end of his career (3.3% in 2005, 2.9% in 2006, 3.1% in 2010). If Romo can hang on another 3 years he'll be at the point where Favre started to have some his terrible years (before a few bounceback years as well).

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Favre was the true "live by the sword, die by the sword" type of QB. He was a very good player and a joy to watch. Tony and Brett are eerily similar and I see no reason why Romo can't win a SB like Favre did. He may never win one but it will not be because of Romo himself, the ability is there. The pieces need to all come together, sooner than later.

perrykemp

Reaction score
We put together a good offensive line, and I don't see why Romo can't stay here for much longer into his career.

If Romo can get to 15 years we all should be ecstatic. The chances of <any> QB being productive beyond 15 years are very low.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I hear you. Adjusting for eras I think they are comparable in TD %, however, it's a bit hard to pin Favre down to a single era since he played for 20 years.

Favre had some really bad years in terms of TD % in the tail end of his career (3.3% in 2005, 2.9% in 2006, 3.1% in 2010). If Romo can hang on another 3 years he'll be at the point where Favre started to have some his terrible years (before a few bounceback years as well).

That's the thing about Romo. He is still improving, especially as he gets better pieces around him. I expect after Manning retires, Romo will get the MVP one year. He would have gotten it in 2007 if Brady didn't have his record season, and he probably would have gotten it this year if not for Manning.

Manning will retire soon, and Brady is on the decline. Romo is poised to become one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL if not the best.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
If Romo can get to 15 years we all should be ecstatic. The chances of <any> QB being productive beyond 15 years are very low.

I think there is a lot that factors into that.

#1 teams fall apart around them
#2 they get expensive and teams can't afford them
#3 they have to go to new teams with new offensive systems and players and don't have the time to get reacclimated.

I think a good QB in a good offense can stay in the game for a long time.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Manning will retire soon, and Brady is on the decline. Romo is poised to become one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL if not the best.

Anything is possible, however, I have a suspicion Andew Luck will win 3 out of the next 5-6 NFL MVPs. I think he is that good.

That leaves Romo to duke it out with Rodgers, Brees, etc for the other ones assuming someone like Kapernick or Wilson doesn't emerge.