Video: Brett Favre on Romo's style of play

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Anything is possible, however, I have a suspicion Andew Luck will win 3 out of the next 5-6 NFL MVPs. I think he is that good.

That leaves Romo to duke it out with Rodgers, Brees, etc for the other ones assuming someone like Kapernick or Wilson doesn't emerge.

Was about to post the same thing except that Kaper and Wilson will not emerge to that next level IMO. They aren't good enough in the pocket and rely on their legs. Not saying they can't win the big game but it will not be because they turned into stellar QB's.

Andrew Luck will take over this league very soon and potentially before Manning retires. I lived in Palo Alto for his last two seasons(went to quite a few of his games) in college and was jealous of whoever got him. I thought that the 49ers/Harb would find a way to get him but was wrong on that front and thankfully so.

jnday

Reaction score
I think there is a lot that factors into that.

#1 teams fall apart around them
#2 they get expensive and teams can't afford them
#3 they have to go to new teams with new offensive systems and players and don't have the time to get reacclimated.

I think a good QB in a good offense can stay in the game for a long time.

You missed the biggest factor that prevents careers of more than 15years. Father Time. You must be s young man. I think that I can speak for many of the older fans that realize after the age of 35, the body starts breaking down. I think Romo is already showing a weaker arm. It is only going to get worse. These injuries that he has suffered through, will start to limit his physical ability more and more. As you get older, you will understand.

jnday

Reaction score
L
Was about to post the same thing except that Kaper and Wilson will not emerge to that next level IMO. They aren't good enough in the pocket and rely on their legs. Not saying they can't win the big game but it will not be because they turned into stellar QB's.

Andrew Luck will take over this league very soon and potentially before Manning retires. I lived in Palo Alto for his last two seasons(went to quite a few of his games) in college and was jealous of whoever got him. I thought that the 49ers/Harb would find a way to get him but was wrong on that front and thankfully so.
Luck was worth an entire draft. Yeah, I said it. There are many draft classes that hasn't produced anything for this team. I would have gave up a whole draft, maybe more, to get Luck.

Afigueroa22

Reaction score
That's the thing about Romo. He is still improving, especially as he gets better pieces around him. I expect after Manning retires, Romo will get the MVP one year. He would have gotten it in 2007 if Brady didn't have his record season, and he probably would have gotten it this year if not for Manning. Romo is poised to become one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL if not the best.

SHHHHH!
Them is fightin words round here.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
L

Luck was worth an entire draft. Yeah, I said it. There are many draft classes that hasn't produced anything for this team. I would have gave up a whole draft, maybe more, to get Luck.

I would have given up two firsts, one 2nd round and chauffeured Romo to his new team all the while singing show-tunes. I might have even made a pit-stop to Tony's favorite eatery!

I like Romo and glad to have him but getting Luck is an easy choice to make.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Ive always thought farve was awesome and seemed like a cool dude. He was a great qb and romo is just like him

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Anything is possible, however, I have a suspicion Andew Luck will win 3 out of the next 5-6 NFL MVPs. I think he is that good.

That leaves Romo to duke it out with Rodgers, Brees, etc for the other ones assuming someone like Kapernick or Wilson doesn't emerge.

I would give you pretty good odds that he won't even win one... and it won't have anything him to do with him not being an excellent QB. :)

Galian Beast

Reaction score
You missed the biggest factor that prevents careers of more than 15years. Father Time. You must be s young man. I think that I can speak for many of the older fans that realize after the age of 35, the body starts breaking down. I think Romo is already showing a weaker arm. It is only going to get worse. These injuries that he has suffered through, will start to limit his physical ability more and more. As you get older, you will understand.

I'm 28 turning 29 in march, I spent 4 years in the military, have 3 herniated discs, degenerative disc disease, and arthritis in my back. I'm well aware of how the body falls apart.

That being said, Romo is better today than he was when he was first became the starter on this team. He hasn't shown any signs to me that he won't be able to play in the future. I don't think most QBs decline because of their own physical traits, which was my original point.

You look at Tom Brady, and I don't think he is any worse than he was last year, but he is having the worst year of his career. Why? Because Hernandez went to jail, Gronkowksi has sat most of the year out, they replaced Welker with Amendola who can't stay healthy, and they replaced both branch and lloyd with rookie receivers. His best receiver this year has been edelman. I don't know where he would be on our depth chart. They won't really have the money to put towards receivers because of how their team is set up. They probably won't even be able to resign edelman next year.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm 28 turning 29 in march, I spent 4 years in the military, have 3 herniated discs, degenerative disc disease, and arthritis in my back. I'm well aware of how the body falls apart.

That being said, Romo is better today than he was when he was first became the starter on this team. He hasn't shown any signs to me that he won't be able to play in the future. I don't think most QBs decline because of their own physical traits, which was my original point.

You are still young and the body still bounces back. There is a huge difference between 28(29) and 33 and even more so at 36. When the body begins to break down, it is rapid, not some slow degeneration at Romo's age. There are some exceptions of course but you don't know who it will hit or not.

When I was 34, I played baseball and softball in several leagues and was better than most of the youngins. By the time I was 36, age took its toll and I was all but done, that fast. I went from 3rd base to pitcher because the reflexes weren't there and it took weeks(not days) to recover from soreness, pulled muscles, etc.

You will experience this soon enough :( We are all invincible before the age of 30.........

jnday

Reaction score

You look at Tom Brady, and I don't think he is any worse than he was last year, but he is having the worst year of his career. Why? Because Hernandez went to jail, Gronkowksi has sat most of the year out, they replaced Welker with Amendola who can't stay healthy, and they replaced both branch and lloyd with rookie receivers. His best receiver this year has been edelman. I don't know where he would be on our depth chart. They won't really have the money to put towards receivers because of how their team is set up. They probably won't even be able to resign edelman next year.

No, believe me, you will see a big difference when you get in your mid30's. I have had several major spine surgeries and over thirty out patient procedures. I had the injuries during my 20's , but they didn't cause the problems at that time as they did when I reached 35. The body heals much slower and the aches and pains linger much longer. I only wish that I knew then , what I know now. There is a reason that Farve was considered so special. His body held up much longer than most QBs and his arm strength remained above average. Romo is going downhill at his age when it comes to his physical ability. I am sure that posters will disagree, but he has lost a step and his arm is not as strong. Compare the Romo of 2007 with the current Romo and it is easy to see.

hutch1254

Reaction score
I think the most important part of that video is what Kurt Warner said and I think about it a lot and expressed it in my thoughts after the Denver game. Who else on this team other than Tony can step up and make plays. What other ways do we have to win a ball game other than riding his arm? Kurt nailed it.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I think the most important part of that video is what Kurt Warner said and I think about it a lot and expressed it in my thoughts after the Denver game. Who else on this team other than Tony can step up and make plays. What other ways do we have to win a ball game other than riding his arm? Kurt nailed it.

We really need the defense to step it up. The can't keep playing on and off. This team has to turn the corner.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
Romo is going downhill at his age when it comes to his physical ability. I am sure that posters will disagree, but he has lost a step and his arm is not as strong. Compare the Romo of 2007 with the current Romo and it is easy to see.

He is definitely not as quick as he was and his arm might be a little weaker, but he never really relied on arm strength. However, the reason we see so many QBs play well in their mid (and even late) 30s is that they make up for physical decline with experience. I remember Steve Young, who is very intelligent, saying that he didn't really "get it" until like his eighth year. He was talking about having gotten to the point where he had pretty much seen everything and knew how to beat the defense - the point where everything truly slowed down around him. I believe Romo is 33. IF he stays healthy, I believe that he can play at a very high level for 2-3 more years and at a good to high level for a couple more after that. If we continue to protect him and develop a good overall team around him, I think we have our QB for the next 4-5 years.

JS22

Reaction score

Sheesh, I'm 31 and trying to get back in the shape I was when I was 27-28. I'm already falling apart. I don't want to imagine 35.

rcaldw

Reaction score
Favre had several playoff ending ints.

One vs Philly during McNabb years. The other when giants went to Elis first SB.

Those are forgotten since he has a ring.

You didn't forget it and neither do I. Favre was loved because he was a gun slinger/ fun loving type of figure. I would take Aikman every day and give he and Favre the same team Aikman would beat him 7 out of 10 games. Favre threw games away.

burmafrd

Reaction score
LOL about the so called Romo physical decline. Its what his haters WANT to see therefore it is true. Nothing more.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Agree with everything Favre said and I especially agree with Warner about the Denver game.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
I would have given up two firsts, one 2nd round and chauffeured Romo to his new team all the while singing show-tunes. I might have even made a pit-stop to Tony's favorite eatery!

I like Romo and glad to have him but getting Luck is an easy choice to make.

I keep telling everyone, I would trade romo and ware tomorrow to get bridgewater next year. (see bolded and underlined part below)

Skill-Set Summary: Bridgewater has an excellent physical skill set and possesses the passing ability to be a starter in the NFL. He has a powerful arm with natural accuracy. From a size perspective, Bridgewater is solid. He isn't as tall as the ideal height,s but he is tall enough and plays at a good weight.

Bridgewater made some astounding throws downfield last year. He was able to fire the ball deep despite getting some pressure and not being able to step into the throw. Bridgewater generally has good ball placement in the intermediate and deep part of the field.

One of the most impressive attributes about Bridgewater as a young player was the improvement he made in ball security. The sophomore consistently made good decisions in 2012 and was not careless with the football. His passing attempts increased from 296 to 419, but he was able to cut his interceptions from 12 to eight. Bridgewater showed nice patience to take what defenses gave him, but didn't hesitate to go downfield.

There are a few areas in which Bridgewater could stand to improve. His footwork could get better for the NFL and it will help his accuracy. He could stand to improve on his anticipation, too, but he has a good starting point and should continue to get better as he gains more experience.

As an athlete, Bridgewater is more similar to Andrew Luck rather than Robert Griffin III or Cam Newton. Bridgewater has good mobility and can pick up yards on the ground, but he looks more natural as a pocket passer.

Bridgewater also seems to have the 'it' factor. He plays his best late in the season and in clutch time. Bridgewater has intelligence and toughness beyond his good passing ability. He even played well while hurt as a sophomore. Bridgewater has upside to develop and clearly his best football is in front of him. He could be an NFL franchise quarterback.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

He's better because he's more experienced but he's not better physically. When he first came up, he could pressure a defense with his legs. He scrabled the pocket and ran downfield much more IMO. Now, he doesn't do that much, by design. His sustains more injuries now. It's natural, it's what happens when you get older and Romo is not immune. It is what it is.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He's better because he's more experienced but he's not better physically. When he first came up, he could pressure a defense with his legs. He scrabled the pocket and ran downfield much more IMO. Now, he doesn't do that much, by design. His sustains more injuries now. It's natural, it's what happens when you get older and Romo is not immune. It is what it is.

I don't know about that. Physically Romo seems exactly the same to me. He's never been a scrambler. Romo will get older. It will happen. But IMO, it hasn't happened yet. And it hasn't happened to Vick either.

To be honest, I don't see any of the older 30+ year old QB's slowing down. You could argue that Peyton, Rivers and Romo are having the best years of their careers in their 30's, Brees and Brady still look great. Eli is the one who seems to be on the decline but it doesn't seem to be with his arm it seems to be mental.