CFZ Brett Kollmann Thoughts On Dallas Draft (Bootleg Football Podcast)

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
This is a podcast (Bootleg Football) that I always try to catch, mainly because one of the best football guys around, Brett Kollmann, is on there. Kollmann really knows the in’s and out’s of football. He knows just about everything there is to know about the NFL game, from a technique and technical standpoint. He always gives some great knowledge and I always try to catch his stuff. He is fantastic IMO. More football knowledge than just about anyone else you can watch.

In this video, they’re going over his and EJ Snyder’s favorite draft classes. They don’t like draft “grades” but they do like some team’s drafts more than others, so they each pick their top 3 draft classes. I recommend watching the whole thing if you have time but it is pretty long, so at least go to the part about Dallas. I will give you the times to skip to below.

Kollmann has Dallas as his 3rd favorite draft class and in the video he goes over the class and why he likes it so much. Then, After EJ talks about the Cowboys draft, Brett talks specifically about Mazi Smith and why he liked that pick so much.

It is another viewpoint on the Dallas picks and will let Cowboys fans see the players from a different perspective. But more than that, it is a viewpoint from one of the few guys out there that I really appreciate his understanding of football. I highly recommend him in any video / Podcast.

They start talking about the Cowboys draft at about the 3:20 min mark.

They talk specifically about Mazi Smith at about the 10:00 min mark.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
This is a podcast (Bootleg Football) that I always try to catch, mainly because one of the best football guys around, Brett Kollmann, is on there. Kollmann really knows the in’s and out’s of football. He knows just about everything there is to know about the NFL game, from a technique and technical standpoint. He always gives some great knowledge and I always try to catch his stuff. He is fantastic IMO. More football knowledge than just about anyone else you can watch.

In this video, they’re going over his and EJ Snyder’s favorite draft classes. They don’t like draft “grades” but they do like some team’s drafts more than others, so they each pick their top 3 draft classes. I recommend watching the whole thing if you have time but it is pretty long, so at least go to the part about Dallas. I will give you the times to skip to below.

Kollmann has Dallas as his 3rd favorite draft class and in the video he goes over the class and why he likes it so much. Then, After EJ talks about the Cowboys draft, Brett talks specifically about Mazi Smith and why he liked that pick so much.

It is another viewpoint on the Dallas picks and will let Cowboys fans see the players from a different perspective. But more than that, it is a viewpoint from one of the few guys out there that I really appreciate his understanding of football. I highly recommend him in any video / Podcast.

Really appreciate you sharing this perspective.
So many of the talking heads get into the entertainment aspect of the game.
Nice to hear from some football geeks who know their x and o

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

He has a great point about the impact Mazi has in the formations we can use. Wilson, Hooper, Kearse, and Mukuanu all have range to handle half a field and squeeze the middle; Overshown and Clark have the range to take the middle of the field. Some more than others obviously but it allows us to be versatile or dictate as we need. Allowing Gilmore and Diggs to play under coverage more just screams tipped balls and picks galore. Their ball skills are both top notch. guys like Bland and Lewis are talented here too.

Very encouraging.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
He has a great point about the impact Mazi has in the formations we can use. Wilson, Hooper, Kearse, and Mukuanu all have range to handle half a field and squeeze the middle; Overshown and Clark have the range to take the middle of the field. Some more than others obviously but it allows us to be versatile or dictate as we need. Allowing Gilmore and Diggs to play under coverage more just screams tipped balls and picks galore. Their ball skills are both top notch. guys like Bland and Lewis are talented here too.

Very encouraging.
Yeah, talking about the ball skills… used to the only DB Dallas had that was half-way decent at getting INT’s was Jourdan Lewis. Now he is, at most, the 4th best DB at getting them. Diggs, Gilmore and Bland all have great ball tracking and ball skills.

What a difference that makes. And if Mazi can push the pocket on passing downs the edge guys are going to get home more often than they did the last two years, and the chances to intercept the ball will only rise.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Good stuff. Thanks for posting.

IMO— if our goal is to win in the playoffs, then we needed to get more skill and speed around Dak. Going 3 out of 4 of our first 4 picks on D was a surprising strategy.

That said— I love the picks on D and am looking fwd to what DQ will be able to do with this D. We essentially doubled down on our strength and want our identity to be on D.

On offense— it is clear they want to be more effective in running the ball and using more multiple TE sets. If Schoonmaker is an elite blocker as advertised, then we will not need a stud 3rd WR from a production standpoint:

WR1 Lamb
WR2 Cooks
TE1 Schoonmaker
TE2 Ferguson
RB1 Pollard

In that base formation, we can run or pass at will and the play-action game should be strong— which is where Dak is at his best IMO. Keep his pass attempts under 30 per game, and this offense can be a better compliment to the D.

Far too many turnovers and 3 and outs last year. We fell behind the chains too often and our short yardage ground game was inconsistent.

This draft was not sexy. But IMO what it does is essentially trade stats and production for what really matters: wins. Run the ball efficiently. Stop the run. Control TOP. Protect the ball. Force a lot of turnovers.

This recipe will work if we can execute effectively.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

IMO— if our goal is to win in the playoffs, then we needed to get more skill and speed around Dak. Going 3 out of 4 of our first 4 picks on D was a surprising strategy.

That said— I love the picks on D and am looking fwd to what DQ will be able to do with this D. We essentially doubled down on our strength and want our identity to be on D.

On offense— it is clear they want to be more effective in running the ball and using more multiple TE sets. If Schoonmaker is an elite blocker as advertised, then we will not need a stud 3rd WR from a production standpoint:

WR1 Lamb
WR2 Cooks
TE1 Schoonmaker
TE2 Ferguson
RB1 Pollard

In that base formation, we can run or pass at will and the play-action game should be strong— which is where Dak is at his best IMO. Keep his pass attempts under 30 per game, and this offense can be a better compliment to the D.

Far too many turnovers and 3 and outs last year. We fell behind the chains too often and our short yardage ground game was inconsistent.

This draft was not sexy. But IMO what it does is essentially trade stats and production for what really matters: wins. Run the ball efficiently. Stop the run. Control TOP. Protect the ball. Force a lot of turnovers.

:clap:

T-RO

Reaction score
Mazi will be good. He'll be unappreciated by unsophisticated fans, but good. I often mocked him to Dallas, though a bit later than pick 26.

In year 1, however, he'll mostly be learning and developing. Is what it is.

Flamma

Reaction score

Dude is top notch. He also knows just about everything about making good drinks too. :thumbup:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I hope they are right about how we may be playing our defense as opposed to just doing the same stuff but with a big DT. Great find.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I'm excited about this defense. It was very good last year, bordering on great, and we replaced a rotational DT with a first-round pick and a placeholder starting corner with a quality starting corner. Quinn has a lot to work with, so we'll see what he can do. We essentially handicapped him (and all of our defensive coordinators since Wade Phillips) by giving him little to work with at defensive tackle and he still made it work decently, although we did have to add Hankins to help our run defense.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I'm excited about this defense. It was very good last year, bordering on great, and we replaced a rotational DT with a first-round pick and a placeholder starting corner with a quality starting corner. Quinn has a lot to work with, so we'll see what he can do. We essentially handicapped him (and all of our defensive coordinators since Wade Phillips) by giving him little to work with at defensive tackle and he still made it work decently, although we did have to add Hankins to help our run defense.
I think people need to understand that the defense might actually be better but it is likely to perform worse because of the slate of quarterbacks we're going to play.

75boyz

Reaction score

WR1 Lamb
WR2 Cooks
TE1 Schoonmaker
TE2 Ferguson
RB1 Pollard

Thats my guy Hawkeye19.
Always the one to provide the realistic perspective...
"IF we can execute effectively."