Brian Baldinger rips into Jordan Davis

plasticman

Reaction score
However, they were in the Super Bowl last season. With the addition of their two #1 draft picks on defense, they were supposed to be even better. This was enhanced with additional veteran free agents.

What went wrong?

I think they may have underestimated the value lost in veteran leadership and experience when they let some walk and replaced them with rookies and other young players with talent but less experience.

When you combine that with both sides learning different systems under different OC's as well as the injuries to valuable O-linemen, you could see the potential for them to get bogged down a little.

However, it would be a tragic error to think this is a long term issue or that they are suddenly impotent as a contender.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
However, they were in the Super Bowl last season. With the addition of their two #1 draft picks on defense, they were supposed to be even better. This was enhanced with additional veteran free agents.

What went wrong?

I think they may have underestimated the value lost in veteran leadership and experience when they let some walk and replaced them with rookies and other young players with talent but less experience.

When you combine that with both sides learning different systems under different OC's as well as the injuries to valuable O-linemen, you could see the potential for them to get bogged down a little.

However, it would be a tragic error to think this is a long term issue or that they are suddenly impotent as a contender.
We would’ve beat the giants and 49ers with their 3rd string QB too. Not impressed with those wins by the eagles.

Fizziksman

BanditHiro
Reaction score
full

Proximo

Reaction score
It’s really amazing to see the tone and shift of the medias’ overall coverage of the Eagles the past week vs a couple months ago. Has to be one of the most drastic flips I’ve ever seen.

They really are in the midst of an enormous collapse.

They were basically penciled in as the 2 seed with a shot at the 1. Now they may be one of the crappiest teams limping into the playoffs.

John813

Reaction score
I know not every player from these super stacked offenses or defenses bust, but I always thought it was more of a risk drafting a player high from a defense loaded with too much talent across the board. They would dominate the lower teams but the few times a year they face another juggernaut they would look average.
Clemson obviously has had some guys succeed in the NFL like Lawrence and Wilkins but have had quite their share of busts at edge. IIRC one year 3 out of their 4 linemen were drafted relatively high.

I think with Davis it's more of a staying in shape issue than talent, but it's not like that wasn't a concern pre-draft.

J-man

Reaction score
shhhhh, don't draw attention to this, let them keep playing him as is, I don't think they notice that he sucks through their Fly eagles fly blinders

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem is maturity and I don’t know why NFL teams don’t make that quality higher on their list. A guy with all the talent but none of the maturity between the ears is not going to be a good pro. We had a few players like that too. Bossman is a perfect example. Lots of great physical measurables but problem between his ears couldn’t be fixed. Same thing with a Jordan Davis. He’s been able to scoot by in life just being huge and quick for his size. He’s had coaching staffs kissing his butt “please play for us Jordan!” his entire life. But the NFL is not like that at all. You can’t just scoot by and people aren’t going to kiss up anymore. The kid needs to take his craft seriously by training and eating right. But he doesn’t have the maturity or seriousness of purpose. I’m not even sure you can teach that before his career is in the toilet and he wakes up. Hope it never happens bc if that guy ever gets his head screwed on properly , it’s going to be a big problem for the rest of the league.

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
Flip 'em Mazi for JD straight up! JK

I was so envious when they drafted him, I wanted that kind of size for the Cowboys D line, shows how pure measurements means very little in the actual game if you have no heart and discipline as a player or good coaching.