Brian Billick on 103.3

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
He was at Baltimore when they drafted Gaither, and he thinks it would be a good idea for us to use our second on him. Says he's a good kid and pretty smart. Thinks all but the project tackles will be gone by our second round pick.

Says from the scouts he talks to that Taylor Mays scares them more than anyone else. Just like we've talked about here, they say his measurables are great but he doesn't make enough plays on film. Says he's not a bad player, just probably not worthy of the late first round.

Thinks there are good players at the bottom of the first every year. You may not get the exact position you want, but good ones always fall. They got Heap and Ed Reed at the bottom of the first. Heap wasn't a need because they still had Shannon Sharpe, but they drafted him anyway.

Talked about how he and Ozzie Newsome always went by what they saw on film, not by potential. Cited the old coaches saying that potential will get you fired.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;3345911 said:
Thinks all but the project tackles will be gone by our second round pick.
Ugh, my biggest fear. I hate to be locked into a OT at 27.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Bingo! I sure hope Jerry Jones doesnt fall for all of those measurables that Mays has, but doesnt produce on the field. Mays scares me!

Hmmm, about Gaither, maybe if (here is to another big dream, and Hostile will shoot it down probably, but heck, if somehow we can talk the Ravens into taking our 2nd round pick in 2011, while keeping our draft picks this year to take players. This team is almost loaded, just need about 5 to 7 key players now,and boom, super bowl material for years to come, just need to hit on theright ones. So, here is to hoping that the Ravens take our # 2 pick in 2011).

that way we can get some good players with our 1, 2nd, 3rd and 4th, while getting another good player in Gaither. Hopefully, if we do trade for him, we can get him into a solid work program in offseason conditioniig etc...

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
I am sick and tired of trading for players. We always get burned.

I'm now begining to think Jerry was drunk when he made the Roy Williams trade.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
If we're seriously looking at tackles in the first two rounds, and we aren't considering sending our 2nd to Baltimore for the guy it's likely due to a cash flow issue. Jerry wants cheaper players.

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;3345993 said:
If we're seriously looking at tackles in the first two rounds, and we aren't considering sending our 2nd to Baltimore for the guy it's likely due to a cash flow issue. Jerry wants cheaper players.

I think he's tired of being taken to the cleaners. Not one damn trade has worked out besides James McNight and Jon Kitna.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Jon88;3345999 said:
I think he's tired of being taken to the cleaners. Not one damn trade has worked out besides James McNight and Jon Kitna.
A starting quality left tackle for a 2nd round pick can hardly be viewed as "taken to the cleaners." Even if the guy didn't work out long term here for whatever reason, it's not like he's giving up multiple high picks.

I think the decision (if it came down to that in the scenario I laid out) is purely about paying him a lot of cash. Jerry won't be comfortable again until he gets a long-term deal to put AT&T's name on the door.

Just my reading of the tea leaves.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jon88;3345999 said:
I think the Terry Glenn trade worked out pretty good for us..

Bluefin

Reaction score
Jon88;3345999 said:

You're forgetting the Terry Glenn trade, which was outstanding for us.

*edit* Slow poke two finger typing Fin got beat to the point by WG.

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3346026 said:
I think the Terry Glenn trade worked out pretty good for us..

Forgot about that one.

That one worked out very well.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jon88;3346050 said:
Forgot about that one.

That one worked out very well.
I think if you think hard enough, you could come up with a few more.

The point is, don't let your anger at a few trades blind you to the reality. Trades are a gamble. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't.

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;3346008 said:
A starting quality left tackle for a 2nd round pick can hardly be viewed as "taken to the cleaners." Even if the guy didn't work out long term here for whatever reason, it's not like he's giving up multiple high picks.

I think the decision (if it came down to that in the scenario I laid out) is purely about paying him a lot of cash. Jerry won't be comfortable again until he gets a long-term deal to put AT&T's name on the door.

Just my reading of the tea leaves.

I think we have a starting quality LT in Free. As long as we use this 2nd rd pick wisely I think we'll come out better than if we traded it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
theogt;3345993 said:

Yep... I would hope it's more faith in Free than money issues though.

Not having a CBA may be playing a factor too.

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3346059 said:
I think if you think hard enough, you could come up with a few more.

The point is, don't let your anger at a few trades blind you to the reality. Trades are a gamble. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't.

Well...I can't think of any more after Jimmy left.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Jon88;3346065 said:
I think we have a starting quality LT in Free. As long as we use this 2nd rd pick wisely I think we'll come out better than if we traded it.

But the question is will Free be a quality player or just enough to get us by?

Hopefully he will be legit.

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;3346070 said:
But the question is will Free be a quality player or just enough to get us by?

Hopefully he will be legit.

I think he'll be really good, but I bet we draft a tackle in the first few rounds in case he sucks and/or Colombo goes down.

I don't think Free will suck though.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Jon88;3346065 said:
I agree, which is why it doesn't make sense to me to be looking for a tackle in the first two rounds. I'm just saying that if he is looking for a tackle in the first two rounds and he doesn't spend it on Gaither, there's a reason for that ($$$$).

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;3346095 said:
I agree, which is why it doesn't make sense to me to be looking for a tackle in the first two rounds. I'm just saying that if he is looking for a tackle in the first two rounds and he doesn't spend it on Gaither, there's a reason for that ($$$$).

I would rather draft someone younger than Gaither and let him ride the bench until Colombo retires or is cut. This wasting draft picks for veteran players needs to stop right now.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Jon88;3346118 said:
I would rather draft someone younger than Gaither and let him ride the bench until Colombo retires or is cut. This wasting draft picks for veteran players needs to stop right now.

luuuulz