Brian Billick on 103.3

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Jon88;3346118 said:
I would rather draft someone younger than Gaither and let him ride the bench until Colombo retires or is cut. This wasting draft picks for veteran players needs to stop right now.
Gaither just turned 24 a couple weeks ago, though.

And he's very good.

There's obviously something I'm missing because I don't get why he's available for a 2nd round pick.

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;3346124 said:

And he's very good.

There's obviously something I'm missing because I don't get why he's available for a 2nd round pick.

That's what I've wondered about too.

I didn't know he was 24.

If someone wants to ship out a promising, young left tackle there's got to be be something wrong.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
CATCH17;3346154 said:
Anyone else not know what a thumb twittle is?

It's this site on the internet. It lets you constantly update people on what you are doing with your thumb.

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3345911 said:
He was at Baltimore when they drafted Gaither, and he thinks it would be a good idea for us to use our second on him. Says he's a good kid and pretty smart. Thinks all but the project tackles will be gone by our second round pick.

Says from the scouts he talks to that Taylor Mays scares them more than anyone else. Just like we've talked about here, they say his measurables are great but he doesn't make enough plays on film. Says he's not a bad player, just probably not worthy of the late first round.

Thinks there are good players at the bottom of the first every year. You may not get the exact position you want, but good ones always fall. They got Heap and Ed Reed at the bottom of the first. Heap wasn't a need because they still had Shannon Sharpe, but they drafted him anyway.

Talked about how he and Ozzie Newsome always went by what they saw on film, not by potential. Cited the old coaches saying that potential will get you fired.

That's why I believe all the Bruce Campbell and Mays talk is nothing but hot air....

Eskimo

Reaction score
theogt;3346124 said:

And he's very good.

The two rumours floating around are that Gaither may have a bad work ethic and the Ravens prefer Oher at LT and don't want to pay Gaither LT-type money to play RT.

Given his age I wouldn't mind doing a second rounder for him if he could be signed for $7M/yr (that is if the bad work ethic rumours are false).

Reaction score
Since the subject of "gambling" on a veteran tackle was brought up I would like to add that the real gamble would be going into this season with Free at left tackle and NOBODY to replace him if he falters,,, and that includes Leonard Davis who is already underperforming at guard. My question is, if Free performs well at left tackle, can Gaither be a better right tackle than Columbo?

Reaction score
Jon88;3346138 said:
If someone wants to ship out a promising, young left tackle there's got to be be something wrong.

OMG, this question has been answered so many times. Jeez. The Ravens don't want to pay Gaither LT money cause they have Oher!

Eskimo

Reaction score
EGG;3346247 said:
Since the subject of "gambling" on a veteran tackle was brought up I would like to add that the real gamble would be going into this season with Free at left tackle and NOBODY to replace him if he falters,,, and that includes Leonard Davis who is already underperforming at guard. My question is, if Free performs well at left tackle, can Gaither be a better right tackle than Columbo?

Gaither would be large upgrade over Colombo. I think it is a question as to whether the staff thinks Gaither is better than Free. If Free is thought to be better, maybe they don't like Gaither's contract demands.

Woods

Reaction score
EGG;3346247 said:

I'm not sure if Gaither wants to play RT. In any case, I'm guessing Gaither wants to be paid LT money regardless, which appears to be one of the reasons that the Ravens want to trade him.

With respect to the Cowboys, I'd think the situation is similar in that they won't want to pay Gaither LT money since they already have a LT in Free (and a RT in Colombo).

What the Cowboys need to do is get more depth at the OT (and OG) position this year via the Draft.

Woods

Reaction score
theogt;3346008 said:
A starting quality left tackle for a 2nd round pick can hardly be viewed as "taken to the cleaners." Even if the guy didn't work out long term here for whatever reason, it's not like he's giving up multiple high picks.

I think the decision (if it came down to that in the scenario I laid out) is purely about paying him a lot of cash. Jerry won't be comfortable again until he gets a long-term deal to put AT&T's name on the door.

Just my reading of the tea leaves.

It could well be that. But that's apparently the reason the Ravens are trying to trade him as well. They don't want to pay Gaither LT money since they already have Oher on the roster. Since the Cowboys already have a young LT in Free, they also probably don't want to pay Gaither LT money.

Now, it's debatable if Free is a quality LT. But the Cowboys seem to think so, and so I can understand them not wanting to dish out a multi-million dollar contract for a LT.

But I'm sure money also has something to do with it (maybe quite a bit). But that doesn't mean that JJ is cash strapped (or won't dish out a serious contract until the Stadium is named). It just doesn't make sense for the Cowboys to trade for Gaither, pay him a ton of money assuming they believe that Free is their LT of the future. In another year or so they will need to be giving Free that contract extension (hopefully).

The Realist

Reaction score
Jon88;3345999 said:
I think he's tired of being taken to the cleaners. Not one damn trade has worked out besides James McNight and Jon Kitna.

Terry Glenn for a 6th round pick.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
CanuckCowboysFan;3346259 said:
OMG, this question has been answered so many times. Jeez. The Ravens don't want to pay Gaither LT money cause they have Oher!

Actually thats more of just a spin job for people that want to see us trade for the guy.

The Ravens are too good a franchise to essentially give away a guy that people here believe is a franchise LT over money. They dont have a cap problem, they could pay him if they wanted to. The issue is they dont believe he's WORTH the investment.

And whats interesting is that a number of teams other than Dallas need LT's, but they apparently have little interest in trading that 2nd rd pick to get him either.

burmafrd

Reaction score
No one wants to trade picks now (remember what Gil Brandt said: at draft time everyone over values picks and undervalues players for picks). clearly the Ravens do not want to pay Gaither big money and want to get something for him now. Simple as that.

Right now we do not have a backup tackle (Bigg does not qualify). Anything other then a high pick tackle is not likely to be able to play this year if we need him. We do not have to give Gaither big money now (not sure if he has one or two years left on his deal) we can hold on to him for a year or so; that gives us great flexibility. And since its very Clear that Jerruh is on a win NOW mode- this year more then ever- it makes sense.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3345911 said:
He was at Baltimore when they drafted Gaither, and he thinks it would be a good idea for us to use our second on him. Says he's a good kid and pretty smart. Thinks all but the project tackles will be gone by our second round pick.

Says from the scouts he talks to that Taylor Mays scares them more than anyone else. Just like we've talked about here, they say his measurables are great but he doesn't make enough plays on film. Says he's not a bad player, just probably not worthy of the late first round.

Thinks there are good players at the bottom of the first every year. You may not get the exact position you want, but good ones always fall. They got Heap and Ed Reed at the bottom of the first. Heap wasn't a need because they still had Shannon Sharpe, but they drafted him anyway.

Talked about how he and Ozzie Newsome always went by what they saw on film, not by potential. Cited the old coaches saying that potential will get you fired.

Well there ya go. Whut er ya waitin fer, Jerruh?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score

Isn't this the same guy who fell in love with Kyle Boller during the draft process because he could throw the ball 50 yards from his knees over the goalpost?

Anyways, I don't see the Cowboys trading for Gaither, because I specifically remember Jerry saying after the Leonard Davis signing that he's done spending market premium money on offensive linemen, and that the Cowboys have got to start developing them in-house.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;3346647 said:
Isn't this the same guy who fell in love with Kyle Boller during the draft process because he could throw the ball 50 yards from his knees over the goalpost?

Anyways, I don't see the Cowboys trading for Gaither, because I specifically remember Jerry saying after the Leonard Davis signing that he's done spending market premium money on offensive linemen, and that the Cowboys have got to start developing them in-house.

That is true but he was backed into a corner when he did it and he kinda backed himself into a corner again.

I imagine that Flo will get signed really quick on the Saturday of draft weekend. I wonder if we will be one of the teams interested.

Woods

Reaction score
CATCH17;3346656 said:
That is true but he was backed into a corner when he did it and he kinda backed himself into a corner again.

I imagine that Flo will get signed really quick on the Saturday of draft weekend. I wonder if we will be one of the teams interested.

I don't see the Cowboys re-signing Flo. Flo still wants to start, and I think Free is the starter going forward at LT.

Sandman52

Reaction score
If Dallas gets Gaither, I think it means Free is pushed back to RT where he proved to be very adequate. Then, you can consider shipping out Columbo and his deal after this season.

Sandyf

Reaction score
You know one thing no one has hit on is that if we do trade for Gaither then he could be the LT and move Free to RT and have Colombo as the swing OT.

Jerry isn't cash strapped but he is going to have to give out some contracts before the year is out considering even if all the guys sign their tenders, they will all be regular free agents next year. So I suspect that Austin, Sensabaugh, Hatcher and possibly Bowen will be getting contract offers sometime in the coming months.