Brian Stewarts Comments

khiladi

Reaction score
Did Brain Stweart really say this?

"OK ... here's the analysis. WAS has three light, speedy receivers who run quick underneath routes. None of them are very physical and can easily be pushed off their routes with the right personnel.

"Luckily, we have the right personnel. We have three physical CBs who are fairly good at man coverage and have great recovery speed. We also have a great pass rush, so if we can force receivers off their routes at the line, we can get a decent amount of coverage sacks, and maybe a pick here or there when they try to run underneath routes on us."

I saw it here:

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2008/9/28/624037/the-dark-secret-to-why-we

If that is the case, this guy really needs to be canned....

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
khiladi;2298491 said:
Did Brain Stweart really say this?

I saw it here:

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2008/9/28/624037/the-dark-secret-to-why-we

If that is the case, this guy really needs to be canned....

I don't get it. That is what you're supposed to do to light speedy receivers that depend on timing routes or deep balls. Knocking them off their routes slows them down, disrupts timing and allows the pass rush more time to get to the QB.

Why would he need to be canned for that comment?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2298516 said:
What's wrong with what he said?

It's that he said one thing, and did something completely different. What he said is correct.

What he did was pure crap.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Khiladi has been spewing his BS ever since we lost.

We DO have the personell.

We just didn't press a whole lot. But we did press some.

Get more agressive before they get into the Red Zone Stewart! Dont wait to tighten up!

Eskimo

Reaction score
I think what OP is getting at is that is exactly the opposite of what we actually did in the game. It makes Stewart look like a moron.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Rack;2298524 said:
It's that he said one thing, and did something completely different. What he said is correct.

Agree 100%. We did very little jamming of their WR's, and havent realyl in any game this year.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Rack;2298524 said:

Bingo.

One wonders why they didn't do this? He says one thing, but then does another. It's such evidence that gives credence to conspiracy theories, because I really doubt someone can be really this stupid to contradict themselves on game day. If so, then he deserves to be canned.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I actually think we're playing a lot more man coverage this year, and one of the reason we don't have many picks and one of the reasons Newman got torched when he bit on that double move. Unfortunately, it's one of those things that are almost impossible to judge using TV footage since they don't really show coverage.

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
Rack;2298524 said:

Agreed. We need to do more fo what Stewart said.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
And all offseason/early training camp we saw comments from Newman and others begging Stewart to play more aggressive coverage schemes. Now we see why.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2298538 said:
I actually think we're playing a lot more man coverage this year, and one of the reason we don't have many picks and one of the reasons Newman got torched when he bit on that double move. Unfortunately, it's one of those things that are almost impossible to judge using TV footage since they don't really show coverage.

sorry, dont agree.

There's been people wide open in these soft zone coverages all season. Even in the Cleveland game their receivers were constantly open, we got bailed out by alot of poor throws.

We've played a ton of zone.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2298528 said:
We have the cb's to play man but we don't? :confused:

We did play some man and Newman got beat more than once playing man.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
"OK ... here's the analysis. WAS has three light, speedy receivers who run quick underneath routes. None of them are very physical and can easily be pushed off their routes with the right personnel.

"Luckily, we have the right personnel. We have three physical CBs who are fairly good at man coverage and have great recovery speed. We also have a great pass rush, so if we can force receivers off their routes at the line, we can get a decent amount of coverage sacks, and maybe a pick here or there when they try to run underneath routes on us."

:huh:

khiladi

Reaction score
Eskimo;2298526 said:
I think what OP is getting at is that is exactly the opposite of what we actually did in the game. It makes Stewart look like a moron.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

What we saw was a totally different game-plan than what he allegedly stated. That is why I am wondering if he actually made these comments, because if he did, the guy needs to go. He realized that they need to be aggressive, and they still play this soft-zone. It is like we are playing prevent the whole game.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
It's not just man, but get up in the WR's faces. A 15 yard cushion is just asking for a quick slant for 10.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2298538 said:

If it was man coverage, it was a very soft man coverage, which IMO made it difficult for Newman to recover once he bit on the fake. Newman was playing off and ran up to jump the route. Had he been playing a more aggresive and tighter man-coverage, he would've been on Santana's hip trailing him, making it easier to recover if he bites on a double-move.

The only CB who appears to even be in the same area code as the WR he's responsible for is PacMan.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
khiladi;2298566 said:
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

What we saw was a totally different game-plan than what he allegedly stated. That is why I am wondering if he actually made these comments, because if he did, the guy needs to go. He realized that they need to be aggressive, and they still play this soft-zone. It is like we are playing prevent the whole game.

I love the excuses going from these guys we didn't use felix because the plays we designed for him are play you don't use when you're behind. Yet we ran the ball with TO twice......