Brian Stewarts Comments

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2298538 said:
I actually think we're playing a lot more man coverage this year, and one of the reason we don't have many picks and one of the reasons Newman got torched when he bit on that double move.

Cover 3 isn't man coverage.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
khiladi;2298774 said:
They jammed Kevin Winslow at the line to get him off his route, which worked pretty good. When they were playing off of him, he was pretty successful.

So whats going on then? Why arent we more aggressive, physical? = not a trait of Wade's personality and defense? lol

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Fake quote aside, one of two things is certain: we have a problem with either the coaches or the players. If the players were - as Tank Johnson asserts - freelancing, then the coaches need to get a grip on this D.

As someone mentioned earlier, the Browns had open receivers against us. Fortunately for us, Derek Anderson kept missing open receivers, and Braylon Edwards kept dropping passes. GB moved the ball very well against us in the first half, but we tightened up against them to hold them to FGs and then our running game took over the game completely. And everyone knows that Philly was a disaster for the D.

This wasn't a one time thing. The Commanders are a very patient offense that was willing to settle for the 5-12 yd pass, used it nicely to set up the one big pass, and ran the ball almost at will. Patient offenses will probably continue to pick us apart if nothing changes. Multiple times the last 2 seasons our D has been average or worse, and Romo and the offense has carried them.

Either Stewart and/or Phillips don't know how to use the talent we have properly, or the talent we have isn't that great. Personally, I think we have the raw talent to be a dominating defense. I think Ware, Newman, and Ratliff are elite talents. But now in the 2nd year of these coaches with these players, we have rarely seen glimpses of a dominating D. I stand in doubt of Phillips/Stewart's ability to make the changes necessary to make it happen.

FCBarca

Reaction score
I like Don Banks' comments on Wade.

You know what would trouble me the most if I were a Cowboys fan? Not that Terrell Owens is starting to grumble, but rather head coach Wade Phillips has yet to strike the right tone after a Dallas defeat. He's 16-5 in his Cowboys tenure, so he hasn't had much practice at addressing defeats, but Phillips continues to struggle to avoid the excuse-making tendencies that dogged him late last season. Phillips tries at times to explain away and rationalize his team's failures, rather than confronting them, and that has the potential of sending his players the wrong message.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
FCBarca;2299089 said:
I like Don Banks' comments on Wade.

I didn't see Wade making any excuses for why we lost.

He said Washington outcoached us and outplayed us on offense, defense and special teams. He took responsibility for the costly breakdowns.

Maybe he had an excuse for why we stopped running or didn't use Felix, but I haven't heard him use any excuses for why we lost.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AdamJT13;2299108 said:
I didn't see Wade making any excuses for why we lost.

He said Washington outcoached us and outplayed us on offense, defense and special teams. He took responsibility for the costly breakdowns.

Maybe he had an excuse for why we stopped running or didn't use Felix, but I haven't heard him use any excuses for why we lost.
He wasn't breathing fire and brimstone and yelling "We let 'em off the hook!"

His mild-mannered acceptance of an butt-whooping isn't good enough. He needs to show Jimmy-style fire for folks to feel like he's not a boob.

FCBarca

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2299150 said:

His mild-mannered acceptance of an butt-whooping isn't good enough. He needs to show Jimmy-style fire for folks to feel like he's not a boob.

Then again, perhaps doing something or showing something that results in play on the field that wouldn't warrant the same kind of questions from the media at large might be in order...In other words, how come the same issues still crop up and the responses remain the same?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FCBarca;2299171 said:
Then again, perhaps doing something or showing something that results in play on the field that wouldn't warrant the same kind of questions from the media at large might be in order...In other words, how come the same issues still crop up and the responses remain the same?
Wade is not going to throw any of his players under the bus.

Sometimes it's the players, not the coach. Same players, same problems. People need to recognize that before whining about how so-and-so coach should be fired. (Not suggesting you have.)

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2299150 said:

What great players and coaches did take losses so easily? Landry didn't. You could read his dejection after a big loss from a mile away, even if he wasn't ranting to the media. Everybody's probably read by now - or remembers for themselves - how Jimmy went off the deep end when he lost, even just a regular season game. To say nothing of how great players like Irvin and Aikman dealt with losses.

I remember Aikman going on Leno (could've been Letterman? I think it was Leno) the Friday night after Leon Lett lost the game in the ice storm to Miami. Aikman was obviously crushed, even though he manned up and went in front of the cameras anyway. The obvious disappointment Aikman held for the failure is something I don't see out of our coach, and frankly few of our players either.

With Wade, all we get is "13-3. Heh-heh."

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Double Trouble;2299192 said:
What great players and coaches did take losses so easily? Landry didn't. You could read his dejection after a big loss from a mile away, even if he wasn't ranting to the media. Everybody's probably read by now - or remembers for themselves - how Jimmy went off the deep end when he lost, even just a regular season game. To say nothing of how great players like Irvin and Aikman dealt with losses.

I remember Aikman going on Leno (could've been Letterman? I think it was Leno) the Friday night after Leon Lett lost the game in the ice storm to Miami. Aikman was obviously crushed, even though he manned up and went in front of the cameras anyway. The obvious disappointment Aikman held for the failure is something I don't see out of our coach, and frankly few of our players either.

With Wade, all we get is "13-3. Heh-heh."
You want to see something obvious and Wade's demeanor doesn't lend itself to showing big disappointments. You want a rant or at least irritation to show he's angry and he's not going to give it to you.

I'm satisfied with his post-game statements. It wasn't like he was throwing out bouquets of BS or anything.

FCBarca

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2299190 said:

Sometimes it's the players, not the coach. Same players, same problems. People need to recognize that before whining about how so-and-so coach should be fired. (Not suggesting you have.)

True and true...I'm not lobbying for Wade's head but I am curious when we'll see adjustments to the obvious...When?...Should we expect to see the same hand played over and over again?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2299190 said:

If that's the case, then it's STILL on the coach.

It's either the coaches fault for not "Fixing" those problems or it's the coaches fault for continuing to play the player even though he continues to have the "Same problems".

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
khiladi;2298770 said:
That is why I asked the question. The way it read, the quote attributed to Stewart in the beginning seems to be real, while the rest of it was clearly a joke...

Why didn't you just post the entire thing from BTB?

If CL found it and did it you should have also.

khiladi

Reaction score
dcfanatic;2299412 said:
Why didn't you just post the entire thing from BTB?

If CL found it and did it you should have also.

It was the first thing I did. I linked to the blog and asked if these comments were for real...

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
Rack;2298524 said:
It's that he said one thing, and did something completely different. What he said is correct.

What he did was pure crap.
Exactly and i dont understand why he would say he would do that when its clearly what the players in the secondary want to play and the gameplan that would have been effective against the skins YET he decides that he rather use a gameplan that everyone hates and that just plain sucks.... someone want to explain this to me?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Da Hammer;2299759 said:
Exactly and i dont understand why he would say he would do that

You might have missed it, but Stewart DID NOT say that. It was a made-up quote in someone's post on another board.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Oh_Canada;2298718 said:
There might be more man coverage, but they are not pressing...rarely did I see the Cowboy corners jamming there guys at the line of scrimmage on Sunday....it was simply too easy.

I guarantee you Jimmie Johnson and the Iggles will not allow Santana Moss a ten yard cushion.

speaking of which

Asante Samuels is a zone-corner, but guess what Johnson has him mostly playing...