Brian Stewarts Comments

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Eskimo;2298526 said:
I think what OP is getting at is that is exactly the opposite of what we actually did in the game. It makes Stewart look like a moron.

Umm, we played man several times during the game and failed to make stops on third down while doing it. :bang2:

khiladi

Reaction score
JohnsKey19;2298572 said:
If it was man coverage, it was a very soft man coverage, which IMO made it difficult for Newman to recover once he bit on the fake. Newman was playing off and ran up to jump the route. Had he been playing a more aggresive and tighter man-coverage, he would've been on Santana's hip trailing him, making it easier to recover if he bites on a double-move.

The only CB who appears to even be in the same area code as the WR he's responsible for is PacMan.

With all the conditioning that these DBs have been getting, they probably have forgotten how to play man by now...

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
JohnsKey19;2298572 said:
If it was man coverage, it was a very soft man coverage, which IMO made it difficult for Newman to recover once he bit on the fake. Newman was playing off and ran up to jump the route. Had he been playing a more aggresive and tighter man-coverage, he would've been on Santana's hip trailing him, making it easier to recover if he bites on a double-move.

The only CB who appears to even be in the same area code as the WR he's responsible for is PacMan.

Agreed newman bit on the fake and couldn't recover because he was so out of position if he was man to man and was covering him from the LoS he would have been in his hip pocket

Boysboy

Reaction score
dbair1967;2298534 said:
Agree 100%. We did very little jamming of their WR's, and havent realyl in any game this year.

With all the flack that TO gets for getting frustrated when he gets jammed alot...

What do we have to lose to require our corners to do the same? I've seen alot of receivers bog down and get frustrated when you mug them around all game. It's no different from QBs and consistently pressuring/knocking them down the entire game. You throw off their timing.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2298538 said:
I actually think we're playing a lot more man coverage this year, and one of the reason we don't have many picks and one of the reasons Newman got torched when he bit on that double move. Unfortunately, it's one of those things that are almost impossible to judge using TV footage since they don't really show coverage.
I agree with you, I think we are playing alot more man this year with this group of CB's then last year.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
AmishCowboy;2298658 said:
I agree with you, I think we are playing alot more man this year with this group of CB's then last year.

I honestly wonder if you guys watch the games.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
There might be more man coverage, but they are not pressing...rarely did I see the Cowboy corners jamming there guys at the line of scrimmage on Sunday....it was simply too easy.

I guarantee you Jimmie Johnson and the Iggles will not allow Santana Moss a ten yard cushion.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I am not a genius on schemes and all that, I fully admit that, but how is it true man to man if every single time we line up we're lining up 8-10 yards off the reciever?

It seems like to me that we're always playing some form of zone that maybe turns into one or two guys playing man to man because of the route run or whatever.

I'm not about to try and say that I have a better plan, or what they should do different, cause I'm no where near a NFL level coach, but it does appear to me that we could do some things slightly different.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
nyc;2298578 said:
Umm, we played man several times during the game and failed to make stops on third down while doing it. :bang2:

And that lets stewart look like a moron too because he judges our talent the wrong way.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2298663 said:
I honestly wonder if you guys watch the games.

And I honestly wonder if some REALLY watch the games, or if they just regurgitate messageboard memes they've repeated 1,000,000 times.

Passive, vanilla schemes !!!ONEELVENTY11111.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Okay, here's the full post from BTB:

The Dark Secret to Why We Lost to the Commanders...

Tiny by no1cowboysfan on Sep 28, 2008 8:00 PM CDT

Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator Brian Stewart during the first half of the game...

"OK ... here's the analysis. WAS has three light, speedy receivers who run quick underneath routes. None of them are very physical and can easily be pushed off their routes with the right personnel.

"Luckily, we have the right personnel. We have three physical CBs who are fairly good at man coverage and have great recovery speed. We also have a great pass rush, so if we can force receivers off their routes at the line, we can get a decent amount of coverage sacks, and maybe a pick here or there when they try to run underneath routes on us.

[The thrilling conclusion after the jump]

Star-divide

"Our gameplan is clear; we ... line up TEN ****ING YARDS off the receivers, allow Jason Campbell to dink-and-dunk on us all the way down the field, and give WAS the momentum for the ENTIRE GAME!

<HALFTIME>

Wade: "But why, Brian? Why have you sabotaged our team? Unless ... YOU'RE NOT BRIAN STEWART AT ALL!"

'Brian': Mwah ha ha ha ha ha ha! You fool! You foolish fool! How easily you fell into my trap! I am not Brian Stewart ... I am ... SNYDERBOT 2000, AND I WILL ENSURE THE Commanders WIN THEIR FINAL GAME AT TEXAS STADIUM! MUAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

<DUH DUH DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!>

...honestly, as a relatively young Cowboys fan (21) -- one who really started to get a grasp of the game just after we stopped winning -- I've been used to the Cowboys losing all my life. I was raised a Cowboys fan, so there was no getting around it ... I just had to hope for small victories here and there. And through the Gailey years ... through the Campo years ... I had one mantra: 2-14 is alright ... JUST BEAT THE ****ING Commanders!

I'm a little more used to Dallas winning now, so I become a wreck after every loss. But I am never more dismal than after a loss to the Commanders (unless its a playoff game loss, or a loss that has playoff implications). A Commanders loss isn't terrible -- it's completely, totally, 100% unacceptable. We need to get that back into the team's culture. Above all else ... BEAT. THE. Commanders.

Another user-created commentary provided by a BTB reader.

So this was a post some frustrated fan made, not a real quote from Stewart. :rolleyes:

Good grief, people!

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
CATCH17;2298525 said:
We DO have the personell.

We just didn't press a whole lot. But we did press some.

Get more agressive before they get into the Red Zone Stewart! Dont wait to tighten up!

Man... reminds me of Colts game 2 years ago. We press and manhandled WR's in that game. Even Demarcus Ware pressed and passed off a WR to a DB/S and broke up that timing.

Where is THAT part of OUR game?????

I really think we could be a much different team if we do that. We make it easy for nobody's like Campbell to have a good game with dink and dunk pases

khiladi

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2298765 said:
Okay, here's the full post from BTB:

So this was a post some frustrated fan made, not a real quote from Stewart. :rolleyes:

Good grief, people!

That is why I asked the question. The way it read, the quote attributed to Stewart in the beginning seems to be real, while the rest of it was clearly a joke...

khiladi

Reaction score
YoMick;2298768 said:
Man... reminds me of Colts game 2 years ago. We press and manhandled WR's in that game. Even Demarcus Ware pressed and passed off a WR to a DB/S and broke up that timing.

Where is THAT part of OUR game?????

I really think we could be a much different team if we do that. We make it easy for nobody's like Campbell to have a good game with dink and dunk pases

They jammed Kevin Winslow at the line to get him off his route, which worked pretty good. When they were playing off of him, he was pretty successful.

Asklesko

Reaction score
Eskimo;2298526 said:
I think what OP is getting at is that is exactly the opposite of what we actually did in the game. It makes Stewart look like a moron.

Wade, Garrett, Stewart, they're all morons who say one thing and do another.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
That is why I asked the question. The way it read, the quote attributed to Stewart in the beginning seems to be real, while the rest of it was clearly a joke...

How would the media get a quote from the defensive coordinator during the first half of the game?

And who's that third CB with "great recovery speed"? Henry? :cool:

khiladi

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2298782 said:
How would the media get a quote from the defensive coordinator during the first half of the game?

And who's that third CB with "great recovery speed"? Henry? :cool:

It was the quote I just picked up and I was thinking it was one of those comments when your leaving the field type deals for the second-half...

As far as CBs, we do have three CBs with good-recovery speed, without Henry...

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I have no problem with the zone coverage.

You have to mix up your man and you zones.

I just have a problem with our corner getting beat on short passes because of their allignment.

Dont back 10 yards off the receiver and give them a 5 yard hitch and i'd be happy.