Bringing Zeke back actually makes us a worse team!

CowboysFever1973

Reaction score
This move baffles me to no end. I loved Zeke back during his first few seasons but the time has passed him by. He’s acceptable at best and I think signing him actually makes us a worse team. This gives us no advantage and he doesn’t have any upside. He wasn’t that good for us two years ago and now he’s even older and slower.

This was an abysmal move. Guarantee you Dak tossed an idea for management to sign his former friend or something.

J817

Reaction score
This move baffles me to no end. I loved Zeke back during his first few seasons but the time has passed him by. He’s acceptable at best and I think signing him actually makes us a worse team. This gives us no advantage and he doesn’t have any upside. He wasn’t that good for us two years ago and now he’s even older and slower.

This was an abysmal move. Guarantee you Dak tossed an idea for management to sign his former friend or something.
Not if they trade for a lead back. If they get a lead back with Zeke being a short yardage back it makes us better because we didn’t have that last year.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Not if they trade for a lead back. If they get a lead back with Zeke being a short yardage back it makes us better because we didn’t have that last year.
I agree, but I don't think it's happening, man.

Regarding the OP....how does it make us a worse team? Dowdle is the only guy that's shown anything, and he spends too much time in the trainers room. Zeke isn't a pro bowler anymore, but he can still fight for tough yards and he's still a maniac in pass pro....something we didn't have last season.

Buzzbait

Reaction score

Like you, I was all in on the Cowboys drafting Zeke out of OSU, but today's Zeke is not the same Zeke as the one we drafted. But truthfully, I doubt that Zeke was hired to save the day for the Cowboys, I think they were just trying to buy a little time. A little time, as in 1 year. We just drafted some serious help for the OL and DL, but it's probably going to take those rooks a year to grow up. Meanwhile, some were pretty unhappy that we didn't draft a RB, but I think they had to pull a balancing act between drafting the help they felt they needed and what part of that were they willing to sacrifice for a late round chance at a RB that might not be that good anyway. They opted to sacrifice the late round RB for what I feel were some strong picks for the trenches.
Those picks will be ready to play with a year of experience for 2025 at the same time when we have a better shot at drafting a quality RB in a higher round. Like I said, I think signing Zeke was just buying time till next year's draft of a better RB and we'll have a better OL to block for him.
Just a thought, but I think it'll work out better this way in the long run.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I agree, but I don't think it's happening, man.

Regarding the OP....how does it make us a worse team? Dowdle is the only guy that's shown anything, and he spends too much time in the trainers room. Zeke isn't a pro bowler anymore, but he can still fight for tough yards and he's still a maniac in pass pro....something we didn't have last season.
Zeke's mere presence on the roster makes us weaker because he's washed up and has been for years. Plus, he's a classic progress stopper. Any UDFA RB would be a better investment for those carries. Zeke has no upside at all. RBs don't get better with age. They never have.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

We should be churning RBs, not sitting pat on an old, washed up veteran.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

The Jonesboys running game was not effective in TDs and close yardage 1st run calls with Pollard who had never been a full RB in his career until last year coming off a broken leg/ankle. So it was a mistake by Jerry Dumbo GM Jones to let Zeke go when you knew Pollard weakness was blocking (compared to Zeke), inside, and effective yards rushing redzone and 1st down.

Zeke had never been a burner and actually played hurt his last season in Arlington. Therefore his Patriot production was what was lacking to protect a Jonesboys defense that was not good against the run, and a Jonesboys QB that was not good playing from behind against teams that could run the ball (not a Mahomes franchise QB).

As for a speed, he is not far from what he was out of college by this video:

Hadenough

Reaction score
The ONLY reason I could see that they would bring Zeke back is his blocking ability in passing situations. He sure as heck can't run anymore. Dowdle or Davis would run circles around Zeke.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

250 rushes

40+ 1st downs

8 TDs

1000 yds

Take it.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This isn't about this season. They've been showing you that all off season. This is a throw away year and prepping for 2025. Lame duck coaching staff and QB that unless a miracle happens and they go to a SB, will all be gone next year.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
This isn't about this season. They've been showing you that all off season. This is a throw away year and prepping for 2025. Lame duck coaching staff and QB that unless a miracle happens and they go to a SB, will all be gone next year.
They didn’t have enough draft picks to cover all their roster holes.

OL and DL were critical.

Zeke is a perfect fit for our team.

WR and RB are gonna get a look in the 2025 draft.