Bringing Zeke back actually makes us a worse team!

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its hilarious seeing people say ""he sure aint 2016 zeke" (pause).

Oh really? Thanks alot sherlock!

(Resume)
" and therefore he sucks and we are worse team man"

What an absolute garbage take. Likw someone try to get sterling sharpe's job with a totally outrageous comment to look like a tough guy.

Look we know theres no super bowl for us. Signing zeke is damage control.
Last year zeke had 3.5 ypc, tony p. 4.0.

If you give him 10-12 carries tbat 5-6 yards per game deficit. Couple hundred yards....for the whole season.

Oh no we're ruined now! We were a super bowl team before zeke and now this.

Weird.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Its hilarious seeing people say ""he sure aint 2016 zeke" (pause).

Oh really? Thanks alot sherlock!

(Resume)
" and therefore he sucks and we are worse team man"

What an absolute garbage take. Likw someone try to get sterling sharpe's job with a totally outrageous comment to look like a tough guy.

Look we know theres no super bowl for us. Signing zeke is damage control.
Last year zeke had 3.5 ypc, tony p. 4.0.

If you give him 10-12 carries tbat 5-6 yards per game deficit. Couple hundred yards....for the whole season.

Oh no we're ruined now! We were a super bowl team before zeke and now this.

Weird.
10-12 is way too many! Especially when it's 10-12 carries for 19 yards

Loso86

Reaction score
This move baffles me to no end. I loved Zeke back during his first few seasons but the time has passed him by. He’s acceptable at best and I think signing him actually makes us a worse team. This gives us no advantage and he doesn’t have any upside. He wasn’t that good for us two years ago and now he’s even older and slower.

This was an abysmal move. Guarantee you Dak tossed an idea for management to sign his former friend or something.
Not sure I see your point. If anything it keeps us the same as last year because everyone's beloved Pollard showed nothing last year. Ima wait and see if this new line can play bully ball and allow Dak to throw less.

morasp

Reaction score
De'Von Achane 7.77 Y/A
Christian McCaffrey 5.36 Y/A
Jaylen Warren 5.26 Y/A
Jahmyr Gibbs 5.19 Y/A
Kyren WIlliams 5.02 Y/A
James Conner 5 Y/A

Raheem Mostert 4.84
James Cook 4.73
David Montgomery 4.63
Khalil Herbert 4.63 Y/A
Aaron Jones 4.62 Y/A
Deandre Swift 4.58 Y/A
Isaiah Pacheco 4.56 Y/A
Bijan Robinson 4.56 Y/A
Breece Hall 4.46 Y/A
Jonathan Taylor 4.38 Y/A
Zack Moss 4.34 Y/A
Derrick Henry 4.17 Y/A
Devin Singletary 4.16 Y/A
Ken Walker III 4.13 Y/A
Brian Robinson 4.12 Y/A
Gus Edwards 4.09 Y/A
Najee Harris 4.06 Y/A
Rhamondre Stevenson 4.05 Y/A
Joe Mixon 4.02 Y/A

Tony Pollard 3.99 Y/A
Jerome Ford 3.99 Y/A
Saquon Barkley 3.89 Y/A
Alexander Mattison 3.89 Y/A
Alvin Kamara 3.86 Y/A
Chuba Hubbard 3.79 Y/A
Travis Entienne 3.78 Y/A
Tyler Allgeier 3.67 Y/A
Rachaad White 3.64 Y/A
Javonte Williams 3.57 Y/A
Austin Ekeler 3.51 Y/A
Ezekiel Elliot 3.49 Y/A
Josh Jacobs 3.45 Y/A
AJ Dillon 3.44 Y/A

Sydla

Reaction score
Zeke is a desperation signing. I don't know if it makes us worse. Depends on your perspective. But I'd say he certainly doesn't make us better at running the ball compared to last year. So this was Jerry just throwing a hail mary.

That's all it is. They are hoping they can somehow get lightning in a bottle from him because they were too cheap to invest just a bit more in the position earlier in FA (and yes, they had cap space to do that if they wanted). This is 2018 all over again when they knew they had WR issues, brought in a bunch of JAGs and claimed it would work.

It didn't. And I suspect it won't again in 2024 (unless they sign some surprising camp cut).

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
This move baffles me to no end. I loved Zeke back during his first few seasons but the time has passed him by. He’s acceptable at best and I think signing him actually makes us a worse team. This gives us no advantage and he doesn’t have any upside. He wasn’t that good for us two years ago and now he’s even older and slower.

This was an abysmal move. Guarantee you Dak tossed an idea for management to sign his former friend or something.
Dak only has any pull if he is being extended...which, *shudder* I think he will be.

Sydla

Reaction score
They didn’t have enough draft picks to cover all their roster holes.

OL and DL were critical.

Zeke is a perfect fit for our team.

WR and RB are gonna get a look in the 2025 draft.
There is this thing called FA where they could have signed better TBs than Elliott.

This is 2018 all over again where they cried being cap poor, signed JAGs and claimed a "committee" would work. It didn't.

It likely won't again this year.

EGTuna

Reaction score
The Zeke signing is monumentally stupid.

He’s not even good at short yardage anymore. Last year he had a 55.9% success rate on 3rd or 4th down with 2 or less yards to go; for comparison, Pollard had a 73% success rate.

Both Zeke and Deuce don’t play special teams, so that’s 2 roster spots for guys who would normally contribute to Special Teams that won’t be. Conversely, their best RB option -Dowdle- is their only RB who actually plays special teams. It’s completely backwards.

The only thing Zeke is good at is blocking in pass protection. That’s not worth a roster spot for a guy who doesn’t play special teams. The Jones boys are killing this team.

Sandyf

Reaction score
It is May 2024 not September 2024. Most likely Dallas will either pick up another RB during camp that a team cuts or trade for a RB that has fallen out of favor with a coaching staff or has been beaten out by a RB from last year's draft (don't see any RB from this draft making a difference until late 2024 or 2025).

Some guys to watch would be:
Dameon Pierce RB Houston
Rhamondre Stevenson RB New England
Justice Hill RB Baltimore
Jaylen Warren RB Pittsburgh
Javonte Williams RB Denver
Isaiah Spiller RB Los Angels Chargers
Michael Carter RB Arizona
Zach Evans RB Los Angels Rams
Elijah Mitchell RB San Francisco
Tyler Allgeier RB Atlanta
Chuba Hubbard RB Carolina
Rachaad White RB Tampa Bay
Brian Robinson RB Washington

I do see Zeke with 10 to 15 touches a game be it as a ball carrier or pass receiver. He definitely would be an obvious pass protector on passing downs. Besides another RB though, sure there will be other changes in the roster and trades that involve 3rd day picks.

The biggest thing, at least for me, will be the extension or not of Dak and Lamb's contract which is looking more and more like around $35 million a year average considering what other top WR have signed for this offseason.

Sandyf

Reaction score
The Zeke signing is monumentally stupid.

He’s not even good at short yardage anymore. Last year he had a 55.9% success rate on 3rd or 4th down with 2 or less yards to go; for comparison, Pollard had a 73% success rate.

Both Zeke and Deuce don’t play special teams, so that’s 2 roster spots for guys who would normally contribute to Special Teams that won’t be. Conversely, their best RB option -Dowdle- is their only RB who actually plays special teams. It’s completely backwards.

The only thing Zeke is good at is blocking in pass protection. That’s not worth a roster spot for a guy who doesn’t play special teams. The Jones boys are killing this team.
Have to put it in context though, the Patroits OL was worse than bad and rated that way. I don't care who the RB is, you have to have the guys up front to open a hole to get through.

As to roster spots, I don't believe Deuce just gets a roster spot. Right now I see it as Zeke, Dowdle, player they trade for, and Luepke (and no guarantee on him). The new kickoff rules probably gives Flournoy a better shot at a roster spot alongside Turpin as returners than keeping Deuce.

starfan1

Reaction score
I am not a huge zeke fan by any stretch here but saying bringing him back makes us worse I just cant buy. Maybe not beineg more proactive and selecting a younger back with fresher legs in the draft makes us worse but i guarantee you from day 1 Zeke comes in here he is the best back on this roster currently.

If the OL lives up to their potential 4.0 YPC is not out of the question maybe more as long as they dont run him into the ground. It has to be RBBC

Sydla

Reaction score
I am not a huge zeke fan by any stretch here but saying bringing him back makes us worse I just cant buy. Maybe not beineg more proactive and selecting a younger back with fresher legs in the draft makes us worse but i guarantee you from day 1 Zeke comes in here he is the best back on this roster currently.

If the OL lives up to their potential 4.0 YPC is not out of the question maybe more as long as they dont run him into the ground. It has to be RBBC
We literally screamed that Pollard had to go because he wasn't effective enough and the run game wasn't good enough and now we have fans saying, "Hey, this isn't bad, I think Elliott can get to 4.0 ypc and that's tolerable............"

starfan1

Reaction score
We literally screamed that Pollard had to go because he wasn't effective enough and the run game wasn't good enough and now we have fans saying, "Hey, this isn't bad, I think Elliott can get to 4.0 ypc and that's tolerable............"
maybe you screamed it.I screamed for a better OL that could run block better. would I have rather had benson or a RB from college? you bet. and we may still grab someone else but I can get behind Zeke alot easier than i can get behind Duece Vaughn or even dowlde full time.

if the OL performs we will be ok. If the holes are there and we see the RB not hve the burst to get there then thats another discussion but what i have seen is lack of holes being available. We need nastiness up front hopefully well get it