Bringing Zeke back actually makes us a worse team!

starfan1

Reaction score
The point about the committees is thinking that grouping together a bunch of mediocre players can add up to a successful group. It didn't work at WR and frankly, it's not likely to work at RB either with the current group we have.

And note, I am a guy that absolutely thinks spending tons of money on a RB or using a Top 10 pick or even first round pick on one is wasted assets. But there is a chasm between doing that and then coming back and thinking Dowdle, Elliott and Vaughn can help "fix" our running game woes that we all lamented from last year.
you could be right time will tell sir but I think our run game related issues last year were more blocking and scheme related than RB talent. Coupled with Pollards injury recovery but Im hoping the pick someone else up here from cuts but Im also hoping that Zeke and dowdle can perform better under a revitalized line.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
you could be right time will tell sir but I think our run game related issues last year were more blocking and scheme related than RB talent. Coupled with Pollards injury recovery but Im hoping the pick someone else up here from cuts but Im also hoping that Zeke and dowdle can perform better under a revitalized line.
That's it in a nutshell.

Cmac

Reaction score
The Fall Guy votes are already coming in and being counted for Zeke.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Solari. He's got a lot of NFL Respect.

BIg Mike "changed" the offense after KMoore left.

Its a BASIC scheme.

No presnap motion. simple routes. simple plays.

Agree with you about Pollard. I called that out early. That leg was jacked.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Zeke's mere presence on the roster makes us weaker because he's washed up and has been for years. Plus, he's a classic progress stopper. Any UDFA RB would be a better investment for those carries. Zeke has no upside at all. RBs don't get better with age. They never have.
Zeke can block. That’s literally his only upside.

Gambit

Reaction score
Except some of the stats show he might not be the RZ and short yardage king people are making him out to be.

This is just the warm body theory at work here. Yes, having a third TB instead of just Dowdle and Vaughn certainly can't make us "worse". But is Elliott the "improvement" that we all thought this team needed coming out of 2023? Of course not. He's a JAG at this point in his career. This is treading water........... which seems to be the Jones' strategy nowadays.
I don't think they are done adding to the RB room. Likely for now, but once we get to camp if there isn't clear improvement I think you see a move made to add a vet, most likely after week 1 as to not have to guarantee a contract.

But let's face it, they won't be spending a lot on the position, nor should they since 2016 only one Superbowl team has had a RB cost more than 1.4% of cap.

While a successful running game is important in playoffs, that success in today's NFL doesn't look like it did just 10 years ago.

Someone complained in a thread earlier that Zeke would only get 4-5 yards on carries we blocked "perfectly" and I'm like yes in a 3rd and 3 if he only got 5 yards that is a successful run.

Gambit

Reaction score
Look at the OL we added this year. What is one common physical trait?

Size.

Not that I'm a huge Solari fan, I'm not. I do think however the OL on staff didn't fit the mold he has for his schemes. It certainly has a feel of moving to a more power blocking scheme looking at size the of dudes drafted.

starfan1

Reaction score
Look at the OL we added this year. What is one common physical trait?

Size.

Not that I'm a huge Solari fan, I'm not. I do think however the OL on staff didn't fit the mold he has for his schemes. It certainly has a feel of moving to a more power blocking scheme looking at size the of dudes drafted.
I think we are ading some toughness but time will tell

Jipper

Reaction score
Who / what do you think we will trade? I know Zeke is washed, but I don’t see the urgency this year from the FO that indicates they will trade for a RB.
honestly no clue at this point..if dowdle could stay healthy, and thats a huge if, he certainly has the speed to be a rb1....not sure if they will try and find someone that is a number 2 out there and throw a 4th / 5th at it now knowing thta they have 3 5th comp picks potentially next year.

MikeT22

Reaction score
honestly no clue at this point..if dowdle could stay healthy, and thats a huge if, he certainly has the speed to be a rb1....not sure if they will try and find someone that is a number 2 out there and throw a 4th / 5th at it now knowing thta they have 3 5th comp picks potentially next year.
It’s possible. I think they are more inclined to go with what they have or pick up a released back over the summer.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I don't think they are done adding to the RB room. Likely for now, but once we get to camp if there isn't clear improvement I think you see a move made to add a vet, most likely after week 1 as to not have to guarantee a contract.

But let's face it, they won't be spending a lot on the position, nor should they since 2016 only one Superbowl team has had a RB cost more than 1.4% of cap.

While a successful running game is important in playoffs, that success in today's NFL doesn't look like it did just 10 years ago.

Someone complained in a thread earlier that Zeke would only get 4-5 yards on carries we blocked "perfectly" and I'm like yes in a 3rd and 3 if he only got 5 yards that is a successful run.
I seem too remember that Zeke was doing more dancing around and getting blown up for 2 and 3 yard losses around the goal line. Zeke is washed up and isn't even a short yardage back. He no longer is willing to put his head down and run full speed into the small seams needed to do the dirty work.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This move baffles me to no end. I loved Zeke back during his first few seasons but the time has passed him by. He’s acceptable at best and I think signing him actually makes us a worse team. This gives us no advantage and he doesn’t have any upside. He wasn’t that good for us two years ago and now he’s even older and slower.

This was an abysmal move. Guarantee you Dak tossed an idea for management to sign his former friend or something.
no doubt.

a guy we cut
went to another team after floating in the market for a while. the team that sucked. they let him walk. now we sign him
how could we be better?

of course we are not.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I seem too remember that Zeke was doing more dancing around and getting blown up for 2 and 3 yard losses around the goal line. Zeke is washed up and isn't even a short yardage back. He no longer is willing to put his head down and run full speed into the small seams needed to do the dirty work.
So you seem to believe getting blown up 2-3 yards behind of the line of scrimmage is a RB problem???

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Jerry Jones would love to tell us that he couldn't afford to pay for a runner because of what he has to pay Dak. The problem is, HE MADE THAT BED AND NOW HAS TO SLEEP IN IT. The Eagles have no problems getting what they want even with bad contracts, but all the Jones' has are excuses. Rot

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Crazy. They paid him to play for the Patriots last season and now they're paying him twice to play this year for dallas lol. Hoping dallas still plans on adding something of substance at lb, rb and dt.

Nothing against zeke i like zeke but it is kind of weird.

Gambit

Reaction score
They fact we are paying an emergency QB more than our starting RB is an embarrassment.
Since 2016 Superbowl playing teams have had only 1 RB contract at 1.4% of the cap.

It's not the money.