Broaddus: Devin Street to push Terrance Williams?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Back to topic, it often takes three years for a WR to learn the game. Guys like Dez come in and play because of the talent but you can see a huge difference in Dez now and then. Devin appears to have some game.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Remember, receiver is a position that usually takes 2-3 years to really grasp.

Our formula is designed to keep Romo's pitch count around 30, so how many balls can really go around? Dez, Witten, Williams, Murray, Beasley, Escobar, etc.

I always felt Street was a wasted pick but this team is still very high on him. Perhaps they know something we don't, I'd really like him to be a possession guy that can move the chains and win one on one matchups. But this team has enough guys that can move the sticks.

We need some electricity, a guy that can take the top off your defense, keep safeties honest, and take a quick screen to the house with one move. A weapon like that makes this offense truly dynamic and I think they'll have the ability to score put up 30+ ppg with that kinda versatility and a healthy Romo.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Street wasn't a wasted pick IMO. The Cowboys are very fortunate that we didn't have to dive into our depth at WR this year. At some point, you have to expect your #3-5 WRs to get some pretty significant playing time. Street is the kind of guy you hope can catch a couple of passes in a game should Williams or Bryant get hurt.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would not go as far as saying Street is a bust, I will say again I'm disappointed he had 2 catches on the season. Guys like Beasely had more than 2 catches in their rookie season. I think the article is bit off in terms of talking about Street pushing Williams? Williams rookie year saw him haul in 44 catches for 5 TD and this past season 37 for 8 TD. Street will be fighting for a roster spot if he can not pick things up. Pushing Williams is not even in the ball park right now.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I would not go as far as saying Street is a bust, I will say again I'm disappointed he had 2 catches on the season. Guys like Beasely had more than 2 catches in their rookie season. I think the article is bit off in terms of talking about Street pushing Williams? Williams rookie year saw him haul in 44 catches for 5 TD and this past season 37 for 8 TD. Street will be fighting for a roster spot if he can not pick things up. Pushing Williams is not even in the ball park right now.

Williams got more opportunities to play his rookie season. The guys ahead of him(Miles Austin) got hurt, so he got more playing time. Beasley also got time to play because of injuries to guys ahead of him or someone ahead of him ,Kevin Ogletree wasn't all that effective. The guys in front of Street stayed mostly healthy and produced. That limited his opportunities to play. Street was the 5th WR on the team behind Bryant, Williams, Beasley and Harris and was even lower on the pecking order of pass options when you count Witten, Murray and Escobar. The 4th or 5th receiver on the Superbowl winning teams of the 1990s didn't catch many passes, either. I don't even think they had a #4 or #5 receiver on those teams.

It is difficult for me to be disappointed in a rookie receiver with only 2 receptions when you have a QB complete essentially 70% of his passes, lead the league in passer rating and QBR, have a WR lead the league in TD receptions and have a running back lead the league in both rushing yards and rushing TDs. I just didn't see that many opportunities for Street to catch passes even if he was deemed good at this point.

Dallas only attempted 476 passes this season, which ranked 31st in the league. The league average was 558 pass attempts, the league leading Colts attempted 661 attempts and the 32nd ranked Seahawks attempted 454 passes. The Colts #5 WR caught 2 passes this year. The Saints who finished second in pass attempts with 659 passes had their #5 WR catch 7 passes and he wasn't a rookie.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Williams got more opportunities to play his rookie season. The guys ahead of him(Miles Austin) got hurt, so he got more playing time. Beasley also got time to play because of injuries to guys ahead of him or someone ahead of him ,Kevin Ogletree wasn't all that effective. The guys in front of Street stayed mostly healthy and produced. That limited his opportunities to play. Street was the 5th WR on the team behind Bryant, Williams, Beasley and Harris and was even lower on the pecking order of pass options when you count Witten, Murray and Escobar. The 4th or 5th receiver on the Superbowl winning teams of the 1990s didn't catch many passes, either. I don't even think they had a #4 or #5 receiver on those teams.

It is difficult for me to be disappointed in a rookie receiver with only 2 receptions when you have a QB complete essentially 70% of his passes, lead the league in passer rating and QBR, have a WR lead the league in TD receptions and have a running back lead the league in both rushing yards and rushing TDs. I just didn't see that many opportunities for Street to catch passes even if he was deemed good at this point.

Dallas only attempted 476 passes this season, which ranked 31st in the league. The league average was 558 pass attempts, the league leading Colts attempted 661 attempts and the 32nd ranked Seahawks attempted 454 passes. The Colts #5 WR caught 2 passes this year. The Saints who finished second in pass attempts with 659 passes had their #5 WR catch 7 passes and he wasn't a rookie.

Street saw action in several game and was targeted and much of the time did not make the catch. I don't want to dog him but for someone to claim he is going to push Williams? He has a lot to prove to make the team. Williams makes the catch's, he hell around here with the stupid body catch BS yet it was Williams making some damn hard catches and putting up TD's for this team. I don't see Street pushing anything at this time and unless he picks up pace he will have problems making the team. Fact is in pre season he did not show much.

I'm not against Street, I was glad the Cowboys drafted him but before talk of pushing anyone I would suggest do something anything and he has not

joseephuss

Reaction score
Street was on the field for 136 offensive snaps and was targeted only 7 times. Even if he caught all 7 passes that is still not much production, which shouldn't be surprising for the #5 WR on this team. Bryant had 830 snaps, Williams had 760 ,Beasley had 404 and Harris had 143.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Back to topic, it often takes three years for a WR to learn the game. Guys like Dez come in and play because of the talent but you can see a huge difference in Dez now and then. Devin appears to have some game.

This. I don't know what people are expecting from the 158th pick in the draft. If he is able to push Williams and not let him feel comfortable in his role, that is a win in my book.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Street was on the field for 136 offensive snaps and was targeted only 7 times. Even if he caught all 7 passes that is still not much production, which shouldn't be surprising for the #5 WR on this team. Bryant had 830 snaps, Williams had 760 ,Beasley had 404 and Harris had 143.

any still did not show much in Pre season. I hope Street comes out strong next season but when I see someone claiming he will be pushing Williams I have to ask based on what?

joseephuss

Reaction score
any still did not show much in Pre season. I hope Street comes out strong next season but when I see someone claiming he will be pushing Williams I have to ask based on what?

You being disappointed in Street and Street pushing Williams are two different things. I haven't commented on whether Street will push Williams or not. It seems your disappointment is based on some sort of unrealistic expectations of a 5th round rookie #5 WR. The #4 WR and #5 WR for the Packers caught 3 and 2 passes, respectively.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You being disappointed in Street and Street pushing Williams are two different things. I haven't commented on whether Street will push Williams or not. It seems your disappointment is based on some sort of unrealistic expectations of a 5th round rookie #5 WR. The #4 WR and #5 WR for the Packers caught 3 and 2 passes, respectively.

I expect him to show up more than he did, you say he was on 136 offensive snaps but can you tell me if he ran the correct rout or just unable to get open? to say he was targeted 7 time does not tell me much either. I expect him to shine in pre season vs players like himself. I don't see any reason to rave on someone who has done nothing and certainly can't see who anyone would do a write up about pushing a player who has made a big impact on the team in Williams.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I expect him to show up more than he did, you say he was on 136 offensive snaps but can you tell me if he ran the correct rout or just unable to get open? to say he was targeted 7 time does not tell me much either. I expect him to shine in pre season vs players like himself. I don't see any reason to rave on someone who has done nothing and certainly can't see who anyone would do a write up about pushing a player who has made a big impact on the team in Williams.

That write up has nothing to do with you being disappointed in Street. No, he is not deserving of praise, but I don't think there is a realistic reason to be disappointed in him, either. He production was very similar to most #5 WRs in the league.

I don't have the exact breakdown of his snaps. Maybe a majority of them were running plays. Maybe he wasn't the primary target. Wide receivers can run good routes and get open, but based on the read progression still aren't the guys getting the passes thrown their direction.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That write up has nothing to do with you being disappointed in Street. No, he is not deserving of praise, but I don't think there is a realistic reason to be disappointed in him, either. He production was very similar to most #5 WRs in the league.

I don't have the exact breakdown of his snaps. Maybe a majority of them were running plays. Maybe he wasn't the primary target. Wide receivers can run good routes and get open, but based on the read progression still aren't the guys getting the passes thrown their direction.

Beasly was not exactly a number 1 in his rookie season and managed to produce more. That is an UDFA not a pick.

I did not see much out of pre season to make me feel better about Street I wish I could say I did since I liked the pick when Dallas took him. Frankly Jamar Newsome looked better in pre season

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
I think it's more realistic that Street will replace Harris in the WR pecking order.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Beasly was not exactly a number 1 in his rookie season and managed to produce more. That is an UDFA not a pick.

I did not see much out of pre season to make me feel better about Street I wish I could say I did since I liked the pick when Dallas took him. Frankly Jamar Newsome looked better in pre season

Again, Beasley got playing time because of injuries to guys ahead of him and because Olgetree was not consistently producing. Street didn't face that kind of situation. The team was satisfied with what the guys in front of Street were doing and really didn't have to deal with any injuries.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Street needs to get open in practice first,Romo wont throw it to him if he cant get separation in practice.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Again, Beasley got playing time because of injuries to guys ahead of him and because Olgetree was not consistently producing. Street didn't face that kind of situation. The team was satisfied with what the guys in front of Street were doing and really didn't have to deal with any injuries.

and really all I'm saying is Street will still have to show something to make the team. I have no doubt Dallas will have other WR out there competing for a roster spot. Guys like Reggie Dunn who posted a 4.22 at Utah as well as Chris Boyd both guys on practice squad and I'm sure rookies will be added to this list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421828030&x-yt-cl=84411374&v=nPBCPxYjgrI

joseephuss

Reaction score
and really all I'm saying is Street will still have to show something to make the team. I have no doubt Dallas will have other WR out there competing for a roster spot. Guys like Reggie Dunn who posted a 4.22 at Utah as well as Chris Boyd both guys on practice squad and I'm sure rookies will be added to this list.

Of this I have not doubt. It would be dumb not to bring in other guys to compete and all push each other. I just have no reason to be disappointed in Street. I have no reason to be overjoyed by Street, either.

mmohican29

Reaction score
It's coming from Broaddus so assume that its made up until otherwise proven true

I like Brian, and used to feel he had insight to organizational plans and roster moves.

I still like Brian, but he is every bit as clueless as you or I. In fact- I trust my own intuition gathered from this very chair, this monitor, this computer, complete with a random bottle of A-1 sauce on top of it (?)- then anything I will ever hear Brian suggest again.