Twitter: Broaddus: Jerry would lose McClay if he promotes Garrett to GM

plasticman

Reaction score
Yeah, he"s been the silent GM in many respects, wouldn't be surprised if he was paid like one just to stay while Jerry assumes the title.

Then again, how good is his leverage right now? He's had a couple of good drafts to be sure but recently?

As we all know, this is a "What have you done for me lately" kind of league. McClay may not be the hot commodity he once was. Perhaps " changes" should apply to him as well.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
McClay is very overrated.
Look at our last 3-4 years top picks.

Look at Maher lasting most of the year.

The only thing McClay did was add more organization to a chaotic field which is the only thing Jason is good at.
Lateral move.
I am not a McClay truther at all.

But Maher lasting like he did likely had very little, if anything, to do with him.

That rests on the head coach and GM, or whatever organizational stooge you want to apply it to.

From what I see, without any other evidence, McClay is not going to look at the roster and make recommendations to cut or whatever.

His job was to push for competition for Maher and on that front, yes, he failed big time.

Alexander

Reaction score
Yeah, he"s been the silent GM in many respects

What? You mean like Ciskowski used to be when people around here pretended he was the real mover and shaker and Jones was just a figurehead?

cbFYA.gif

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I am not a McClay truther at all.

But Maher lasting like he did likely had very little, if anything, to do with him.

That rests on the head coach and GM, or whatever organizational stooge you want to apply it to.

From what I see, without any other evidence, McClay is not going to look at the roster and make recommendations to cut or whatever.

His job was to push for competition for Maher and on that front, yes, he failed big time.
Yup. My point stands. Thanky kindly.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

I assumed that McClay had been promised the GM spot by Stephen post Jerry. Even considering Garrett for GM would show that that promise means nothing.

Way to ruin the one management hire that seems to work.

If I were an NFL owner in need of a GM, I'd reach out to McClay *today*. Not sure how nfl no tampering rules work for staff and management, but GM would be a promotion for McClay.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Keeping jason in the front office is a huge mistake and would make the power structure even worse. How can a new coach work with Garrett hanging over his head ready to take the coaching job back at any moment.

HC in Waiting yet again.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Exactly. It's been apparent for quite some time that JJ isn't even a passable GM, but this situation shows what an incredibly inept executive he is. What other owner/president/GM wouldn't have the decision ready-made given the conditions that were set? All the sports world, not just Cowboys fans, are laughing at this ridiculous display of incompetence. Every sports website, TV show, sportswriter, even former players (Aikman) are pointing out the absurdity of this.
I'm like you, I was holding out hope that JJ would finally realize a true change was needed. A proven coach (I wanted Meyer) with the Ok to pick his own staff and make his own decisions on player personel. It's now apparent there won't be real change. Sure there will be some new faces, possibly a lot of new faces, but the same structure will remain in place.

Yah... It's a mess. I don't know what I am going to do if Garrett is retained. After the disappointment of this season-- just not sure I am going to have any excitement or enthusiasm going into next season if JG is still patrolling the sidelines. Hard to see anything positive happening-- maybe a slight improvement if we get a more skilled DC and ST coach.

Just don't see how that is going to undo all the heart/cultural issues this season highlighted. And it's not like those issues have been unknown... we have been watching this train wreck for decades. It's unbelievable and unacceptable that corrective action is not being taken. We are literally being held hostage by one man's ego. INSANITY

The Natural

Reaction score
If Garrett is retained in any capacity yall Texans need to get up off your arses and invade that facility like one of them US embassies.

Zman5

Reaction score
Keeping JG in any capacity is a huge mistake and sends a terrible message to the organization. The message sent will be "It's OK to be mediocre for 10 years, as long as you impress Jerry, you'll get a promotion."

The type of coaches/players/staff we'll end up with are going to be JG types. Someone who "sounds" smart and capable yet are very mediocre at what they were hired to do.

Alexander

Reaction score
If Garrett is retained in any capacity yall Texans need to get up off your arses and invade that facility like one of them US embassies.
No, they will just gather at training camp and chant "Jerry" and beg for his autograph.

As usual.

Alexander

Reaction score
Yah... It's a mess. I don't know what I am going to do if Garrett is retained. After the disappointment of this season-- just not sure I am going to have any excitement or enthusiasm going into next season if JG is still patrolling the sidelines. Hard to see anything positive happening-- maybe a slight improvement if we get a more skilled DC and ST coach.

Just don't see how that is going to undo all the heart/cultural issues this season highlighted. And it's not like those issues have been unknown... we have been watching this train wreck for decades. It's unbelievable and unacceptable that corrective action is not being taken. We are literally being held hostage by one man's ego. INSANITY
I feel what you are saying here.

I don't see what staff changes could be made on a cosmetic level that could rationalize retaining him.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I mean VP titles are thrown around like candy all over America. So why not just give everyone the title of gm?

GenoT

Reaction score
IMO, if Garrett moves into the FO, they’d create a job and title specifically tailored to his unique skills.

For instance, PC (process coordinator), or CQCO (clapping quality control officer), or maybe PLO (permanent latrine orderly)...something along those lines.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Keeping jason in the front office is a huge mistake and would make the power structure even worse. How can a new coach work with Garrett hanging over his head ready to take the coaching job back at any moment.

Exactly....

Keeping Garrett around would be the worst move in the Jerry era. Maybe even worse than firing Jimmy. I can't even imagine what the players would think...I seriously doubt any free agents come here....and if they do...it's the bottom of the barrel guys that nobody wants.:rolleyes:

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Please, no :facepalm:. Just no. Just make Jason the water boy or athletic trainer if you want to keep him in the franchise so much :banghead:

If Garrett becomes GM you can bet the next coach is going to be a total puppet. I will also cease being a Cowboys fan. The league is a shell of what it once was and as I get older I have no patience or time for things that suck. Energy takers is what I call them. Who the hell has time for that.

This arrogant old drunk needs to do the right thing and cut the chord with Garrett. The love fest is just so strange.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
And this lets me know further dilfer and garretts agent, etc are all being compensated by garrett. Why would a highly sought after, top camdidate want to not coach and do what he loves? That coward knows he wont get a good job this year.

Ron12

Reaction score
JG is too stupid to work in the FO he will add NOTHING !:muttley:

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
IMO, if Garrett moves into the FO, they’d create a job and title specifically tailored to his unique skills.

For instance, PC (process coordinator), or CQCO (clapping quality control officer), or maybe PLO (permanent latrine orderly)...something along those lines.
Unique skills? What would that be?

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
McClay is very overrated.
Look at our last 3-4 years top picks.

Look at Maher lasting most of the year.

The only thing McClay did was add more organization to a chaotic field which is the only thing Jason is good at.
Lateral move.
He's not overrated. If he didn't have the 3 stooge old man crew JJ, son and Rod in his ear we would be here with TJ Watt instead of Taco. Granted the underwhelming coaching would make Watt a 6 sack guy.