Video: Broaddus' Latest On The Cowboys' Draft Plans | GBag Nation

visionary

Reaction score
It’s stupid enough to take a CB at 10 in this draft where the guys at the top are not that much better than the guys in late rd 1 and early 2, but it would be absolutely crazy and moronic to trade up for a CB or to 4 for a TE

if there is a way to screw up the draft you can bet the moron father son combo is in on it

38 Special

Reaction score
It’s basic human psychology to think that you’re better than you really are. In a world where 76% of drivers and 94% of college professors think they are above average, people aren’t good at being honest with themselves as it pertains to risks and unknowns.

It happens every year in the draft. In the first round last year, Justin Jefferson was the 5th WR taken, Justin Herbert was the 3rd QB, and Isaiah Wilson is out of the league.

The sweet spot of the draft is generally in the second and third round. You won’t hit on quite as many picks there as you would in the first, but the draft chart says that #10 is also worth the same as #40, #55, #68 and #78. I know which of those two options has the best chance to help the team in the long run.

The worst thing that can happen is a trade up that yields a bust. Even if you think you are “one piece away”, the chances are you don’t know as much as you think you do, and trading down is the best choice.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
I liked the discussion towards the end about getting more draft picks.

the Baltimore GM said the same thing the other day...the more draft picks you have the better chance to add good players. There is no sure fire draft pick, so the more you can draft the better the odds of getting a good player.

visionary

Reaction score
It’s basic human psychology to think that you’re better than you really are. In a world where 76% of drivers and 94% of college professors think they are above average, people aren’t good at being honest with themselves as it pertains to risks and unknowns.

It happens every year in the draft. In the first round last year, Justin Jefferson was the 5th WR taken, Justin Herbert was the 3rd QB, and Isaiah Wilson is out of the league.

The sweet spot of the draft is generally in the second and third round. You won’t hit on quite as many picks there as you would in the first, but the draft chart says that #10 is also worth the same as #40, #55, #68 and #78. I know which of those two options has the best chance to help the team in the long run.

The worst thing that can happen is a trade up that yields a bust. Even if you think you are “one piece away”, the chances are you don’t know as much as you think you do, and trading down is the best choice.

exactly, trade down from 10

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they are really thinking about going up for Surtain, that is a Quinn move. He's told them that's his must have guy in the 1st.

Booger values CBs right up there with WR's. If they were to trade with DET, Gallup might be in play instead of picks. They're not going to be able to keep him next year and they re-signed Wilson so he is the luxury player on the team.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Only way I see this happening is if Pitts falls to 7. Even then it’s a stupid move but I can see Big and Little Enos Burdette doing it

morasp

Reaction score
Few things in our draft would piss me off more than us trading up ahead of 7 to get a CB.
I liked the discussion later about people who are considered good at drafting and they like to get lots of picks. It reminded me of Jimmy Johnson's draft philosophy. Dak was a tremendous value but we actually took him with a later comp pick.

Creeper

Reaction score
On the one hand this is just a few guys speculating on what the Cowboys might do. After trading up to get Morris Claiborne I am not so sure Dallas will make that mistake again.

On the other hand, I just think Jerry has been to subdued the last few years and based on some of his recent performances in the media I just get the feeling he is itching to do something really dumb in this draft. Trading up twice for Pitts would be one dumb mistake, but trading up to 7 for Surtain would be even dumber. To get to 4 Dallas would probably have to give up a 2nd and 3rd. That's 44 and 75. If they take Pitts at 4, they will not be able to address the defense until 99. At that point, all the worthy CBs will be gone.

If they want to give up day 3 picks, then fine, but 4 picks in the top 100 is a good place to be for a team with a lot of hoes on defense and in need of OL depth.

btw, the Giants GM, Dave Gettleman, claims the Giants have been trying to trade back. He did not reveal what he was offered for the 11th pick but I got the sense it was not fair value. Of course things could change by draft day, but this may mean that Dallas might find it hard to trade down as well. Also, any teams looking to trade up to 10 to get a QB, know the Cowboys will not take a QB so they can trade with the Giants if the Cowboys do not make a deal. The Cowboys may be stuck at 10 with so many teams willing to trade down. While I think the best move the Cowboys can make is to trade down and take someone like Barmore, they may not have that option.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I struggle with this stuff. I mean, having an ex scout do radio is like radio gold... YET the guy is wrong far more than 50% of the time.
He is fully embracing radio rules of just get attention and circle the wagons backing up your teammates.

I just want guys to talk honest football takes. That's it.
Sound exactly like Dane Brugler did when he did guest spots.
Straight football facts, no playing to emotion.
No, hey pay attention to me takes, just do the work and get the info than share it.

Dane came on a couple years ago and told us the Cowboys were likely going to take LVE R1. Then he told us why and he told us why some other teams were out on him at that point.
He didn't bash anyone and he didn't say anything crazy. He basically said this could really work out for Dallas because the athletic profile and character are top notch but some teams have him off the boards based on medical concerns.
And Dallas fans were smarter for hearing that.
I can't say that about the stuff that get spewed daily.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's the old quality v quantity argument and we've seen two complete sell out drafts for Griffin with the Skins and Williams with the Saints and I guess we could add the MIN Walker trade to that as well, although he was a proven player.

The problem I have with this team is neither plan seems to work. Few picks for quality or many for quantity because they have one major problem, evaluating talent.

The draft is made on the 2nd and 3rd day and the Cowboys, and quite a few other teams, have really whiffed too much.

The scouts, along with Quinn and his staff, might have elevated Surtain because the Cowboys are in the top 10 and getting a shot at a player like this is unusual with where they've been picking.

One thing about Surtain, he might not be Ramsey but he's no slouch, I don't see many negatives tossed around about him and I see him as a better CB that either Claiborne or Jones, the last CB's they used 1sts on.

I know the mood here is trade back for more picks, safety in numbers, but if this draft, a very shallow one with quality, they must come away with starters on the defense. And not because the rest of the roster is so weak in talent.

I like Surtain, he's played on the big stage against the best WR's in college and practiced against the best ones the last few years. I don't care how they do it but they must come away with the quality starter on this defense and he fits that bill to me.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If Surtain and Horn are pretty even in the draft , I’m not sure we lose much taking Horn.

The fact he’s rated that high coming from South Carolina instead of Alabama impresses me without the level of supporting cast Surtain had.