Video: Broaddus' Latest On The Cowboys' Draft Plans | GBag Nation

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I liked the discussion later about people who are considered good at drafting and they like to get lots of picks. It reminded me of Jimmy Johnson's draft philosophy. Dak was a tremendous value but we actually took him with a later comp pick.

Jimmy wallpapered several drafts, mixing in big hits with some big misses as well. He had the ammo to take those kinds of risks.

rickster14

Reaction score
Don’t trade up. Having those extra picks this year is great considering the holes we have. If anything, trade down for another r2 or r3 pick.

I like Surtain & Horn, but I wouldn’t give away a r3 pick to make sure I got one of them

morasp

Reaction score
Jimmy wallpapered several drafts, mixing in big hits with some big misses as well. He had the ammo to take those kinds of risks.
I wouldn't mind if they used all 10 picks or at least nine of them to take football players. And on day three not these guys no one has heard of that never see the field but guys that grade out fairly well but fell because they may need to improve on some aspect of their game.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On the one hand this is just a few guys speculating on what the Cowboys might do. After trading up to get Morris Claiborne I am not so sure Dallas will make that mistake again.

On the other hand, I just think Jerry has been to subdued the last few years and based on some of his recent performances in the media I just get the feeling he is itching to do something really dumb in this draft. Trading up twice for Pitts would be one dumb mistake, but trading up to 7 for Surtain would be even dumber. To get to 4 Dallas would probably have to give up a 2nd and 3rd. That's 44 and 75. If they take Pitts at 4, they will not be able to address the defense until 99. At that point, all the worthy CBs will be gone.

If they want to give up day 3 picks, then fine, but 4 picks in the top 100 is a good place to be for a team with a lot of hoes on defense and in need of OL depth.

btw, the Giants GM, Dave Gettleman, claims the Giants have been trying to trade back. He did not reveal what he was offered for the 11th pick but I got the sense it was not fair value. Of course things could change by draft day, but this may mean that Dallas might find it hard to trade down as well. Also, any teams looking to trade up to 10 to get a QB, know the Cowboys will not take a QB so they can trade with the Giants if the Cowboys do not make a deal. The Cowboys may be stuck at 10 with so many teams willing to trade down. While I think the best move the Cowboys can make is to trade down and take someone like Barmore, they may not have that option.
Creepy, might want to rethink that. They did Williams after 0ing out on Galloway.

One thing about Booger, he's like that QB they all want, the one with selective amnesia on the mistakes.

Another thing about Booger's history that he brought along with him, and he likes to remind himself and us of it when the occasion comes up. The best well he ever struck was the one he had the most riding on and that followed one of his driest and costliest. The mind and resolve of a wildcatter doesn't change. It's not about managing risks: it's about taking them.

Think he brought Quinn in not to build The Legion of Boom II? Won't surprise me if they go S with the 2nd pick.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I liked the discussion later about people who are considered good at drafting and they like to get lots of picks. It reminded me of Jimmy Johnson's draft philosophy. Dak was a tremendous value but we actually took him with a later comp pick.
Dallas was ahead on Dak because they had him in the Senior Bowl.
He was higher on their board than most teams after a really good week in Mobile.
They saw him compete, win MVP of the game and got to know his character.

More picks means very little if they aren't into the talent of the draft. See 2009.
Teams go to camp with only so many spots to win. Usually 3-4. After that it's injuries opening positions or practice squad slots.
Taking 12 draftees is a good way to fill a practice squad and/or cut guys you haven't even fully evaluated yet.

There are about 250 players per year to make NFL rosters. Of those many never play meaningful football.
A more realistic number is about 150 impactful players per season. And those guys are routinely found in the first 4 rounds of the NFL draft.
You can certainly find guys later but you generally have to develop them, get lucky with health or select a position that has fallen due to depth or lack of value like kicker.

I'd generally be looking to maximize my top 150 picks yearly. After that I can rely on UDFA to fill out the dregs and then I can steal other guys practice squaders if I needed to.
In reality there is very little to gain with a lot of R6 and R7 level talents.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't mind if they used all 10 picks or at least nine of them to take football players. And on day three not these guys no one has heard of that never see the field but guys that grade out fairly well but fell because they may need to improve on some aspect of their game.

I like McClay’s tendency to draft big school players. No more high risk picks that never panned out.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Creepy, might want to rethink that. They did Williams after 0ing out on Galloway.

One thing about Booger, he's like that QB they all want, the one with selective amnesia on the mistakes.

Another thing about Booger's history that he brought along with him, and he likes to remind himself and us of it when the occasion comes up. The best well he ever struck was the one he had the most riding on and that followed one of his driest and costliest. The mind and resolve of a wildcatter doesn't change. It's not about managing risks: it's about taking them.

Think he brought Quinn in not to build The Legion of Boom II? Won't surprise me if they go S with the 2nd pick.
Most reports coming out of Dallas is in 2nd round we are looking at both of TCU safeties. One of them may not be there.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/cowboys-covet-tcu-safety-in-nfl-draft-how-to-trade

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Surtain and Horn are pretty even in the draft , I’m not sure we lose much taking Horn.

The fact he’s rated that high coming from South Carolina instead of Alabama impresses me without the level of supporting cast Surtain had.
The issue is Horn's physical style of play will not fly in the NFL. He might be able to modify it but he comes into the league with a red flag to the refs and they know which DB's to watch. I like his style of play and he'd be a top pick in the old bump n run days but with the size and speed of the NFL WR's, Horn is going to have a tougher transition than Surtain.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
It’s stupid enough to take a CB at 10 in this draft where the guys at the top are not that much better than the guys in late rd 1 and early 2, but it would be absolutely crazy and moronic to trade up for a CB or to 4 for a TE

if there is a way to screw up the draft you can bet the moron father son combo is in on it
100% agreed.
I’m chalking it up to Broaddus’ sources being full of crap.
now that makes more sense to me.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The way I look at this draft and trade down is like a monkey poop fight at the zoo, it's just more poop for these monkeys.

They must come away with quality plyers, not just players that can make a 6-10 team with a worse defense than that. Posters keep making something out of players making the team, so what? It's not a good team. Need better players to make a good team and I don't care if they traded 8 picks away if they got 2 really quality D players.

You want Quinn to fix this defense? He had this roster: Avril, Bennett, Wagner, Wright, Chancellor, Sherman and Thomas. 7 of his 11 were legit pro bowl players and all 3 of those DB's made it multiple times as well as All Pro.

This defense is bad, really bad, and the only way it begins to get fixed is with quality, not quantity. Quantity is how it got this bad.

If Quinn has put himself out there that he needs Surtain, that's good enough for me, because while he didn't build the Legion, he did coach them and knows what a good secondary looks like. And that secondary had as much to do with those 4 players in the front 7 going to pro bowls as their own talent because they led the league in coverage hurries, pressures and sacks every year they were together.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Trading up for Surtain would be a terrible move with such a deep class and there isn't much separation after the top 3 from the 2nd rd guys.
There is something to be said about getting your guy too. What happens if Surtain winds being an All Pro, and that second round guy ends up being Chido Awuzie? Or you settle for Horn at 10, and Surtain ends up having the much better career and that 3rd round pick you saved ends up somewhere else after his rookie deal.

JBS

Reaction score
Forget about what you think about taking a cb in round 1..thats beside the point

However, there is no damn way you can be serious in thinking there isn't a massive gap between Surtain and the second round corners..I mean that's a damn joke

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Jimmy built that ammo with tanking.
He basically invented the concept and then he traded away Herschel because Jerry wouldn't pay Walker.

Armed with assistant coaches who were long time HS recruiters they knew the guys coming out at very high rates.
They didn't just miraculously get lucky they had a very real advantage.

Was same for Pete Carroll in Seattle. You build a staff that knows all the 4 and 5 star kids and you have the best scouting staff on the planet.

All that said Irvin was already here and Troy was forced upon him. Jimmy was handed the keys to a pretty magical kingdom and made the most of it.

The other side of that coin is being the Browns. You are bad for a really long time just burning picks and players and no one you draft can fully change the culture so you keep spending big in free agency and hiring new head coaches to finally break that mold of suck.

There is no one right way. It will vary team to team depending upon what they actually need at the time. Fans pretend player X is just Player X when in reality we see every single season guys do not look the same playing on different teams and certainly not with different roles.

Plankton

Reaction score
Yeah, but he immediately traded Pritchett to Detroit right?

He drafted Pritchett for the Lions. Johnson never had any intention of keeping him. The trade couldn't be phoned in prior to the card being handed in, so they did it afterward.

MarkP88

Reaction score
Trading up for Surtain would be a terrible move with such a deep class and there isn't much separation after the top 3 from the 2nd rd guys.
It would be beyond terrible, it’d be completely insane.

morasp

Reaction score
Dallas was ahead on Dak because they had him in the Senior Bowl.
He was higher on their board than most teams after a really good week in Mobile.
They saw him compete, win MVP of the game and got to know his character.

More picks means very little if they aren't into the talent of the draft. See 2009.
Teams go to camp with only so many spots to win. Usually 3-4. After that it's injuries opening positions or practice squad slots.
Taking 12 draftees is a good way to fill a practice squad and/or cut guys you haven't even fully evaluated yet.

There are about 250 players per year to make NFL rosters. Of those many never play meaningful football.
A more realistic number is about 150 impactful players per season. And those guys are routinely found in the first 4 rounds of the NFL draft.
You can certainly find guys later but you generally have to develop them, get lucky with health or select a position that has fallen due to depth or lack of value like kicker.

I'd generally be looking to maximize my top 150 picks yearly. After that I can rely on UDFA to fill out the dregs and then I can steal other guys practice squaders if I needed to.
In reality there is very little to gain with a lot of R6 and R7 level talents.
Your numbers are pretty close, there are 47 players with starter grades and 142 that should make a 53 man roster. If we could get three of the 47 starters it would be a win if we could get four I would be very happy. However, one of the bright spots on defense last year was a sixth round pick. We had a seventh round pick start at QB. And don't count out Anae just yet. Sure the odds go down later in the draft but we've had busts on early picks too.

Last edited:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Forget about what you think about taking a cb in round 1..thats beside the point

However, there is no damn way you can be serious in thinking there isn't a massive gap between Surtain and the second round corners..I mean that's a damn joke
Expecting a 2nd round CB to be a #1 CB is buying a lottery ticket. Dont get me wrong, there are some pretty good 2nd round CB's in this draft. But if Im asked to lay down my money on if any specific one is going to be a quality CB, I'm putting it on "no"