Broaddus on Radio interview

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
the qb play is one of the biggest problems and the coaching is not where it needs to be and I don't think the coaches really know how to fix what is wrong

jjktkk

Reaction score
Tony did a great job of not taking risks early in games, but he’d get more aggressive when he had to as we got down to our last couple of possessions in close games. That got him a reputation for choking from some, but really he adjusted his risk tolerance based on the game situation.

Dak needs a little bit more of that mindset. And he needs to work on getting his feet right more of the time. Pressure or no.
I may be wrong, but I don't Dak can just become aggressive. He's not wired that way.

Dre11

Reaction score
Am I going to listen to a guy (Broaddus) that's never played an NFL down, let alone QB about whether Dak can change the play? Or, am I going to listen to a guy (Hurns) who's in the foxhole with the QB that says Daks hands are tied about changing the play? Ummm...I going to listen to the man who's in the huddle and at the line of scrimmage. Ijs. Time to change out these coaches FIRST.

Or are you not going to be hoodwinked with your agenda. Broaddus has been at every training camp practice,he's in the building everyday, has been an employ of the Cowboys. Hurns never said Dak couldn't change the play, he said he doesn't know, so I don't know where you got he said he couldn't, again leave your agenda at the door.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
He hit on a couple things that explains a lot even a conversation with Sean Payton.
He said Dak have problems manipulating defenses, this is off Hurns talking about the 2man coverage, that Dak has the authority to change the dynamic of the play. His conversation with Payton, he asked him about Brees , Payton say he calls a play and Brees makes his plays better or changing it all together based on what the defense checks to. But Payton said he would love to have a qb like Dak who rarely changes the play. But that can be an issue. Broaddus also said that is what Romo was great at, manipulating defenses, like Brady,Rogers,Brees.
Just a few things to chew on when criticizing the offense. I want to make clear that he's not a hater of Dak, says he's a decent qb,just not elite. Which is fine. He just needs to keep working on his flaws.

Also below is a good discussion on Dallascowboys.com

https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/talkin-cowboys-backing-dak

Is Broaddus comparing 39-year-old Brees to 25-year-old Prescott?

Because Brees at 25 was not doing what Brees at 39 does now.

Dre11

Reaction score
Which is exactly why Romo took so much pressure of the coaching staff and organization in general.

He was in the CBS studio last Sunday and Cowher asked him how much control he had in play calling. He said 1st and 2nd down were designed by the coaches to get chunk yards, but 3rd down was his. After his pre snap read, he knew exactly where the ball was going and if was just a matter of execution. If the execution broke down he would improvise but options were always available.

Unlike Tony did, Dak is not taking the coaches off the hook, he's not moving defenses with his eyes, he's still developing in pre snap and all of this puts tremendous pressure on the play itself. Everything has to work perfectly and it's easy to get exposed when it doesn't.

I keep thinking what Parcells said - you know about a player after three years. Well...here we are.

And that's a qb's job, to make pre snap reads, and make adjustments accordingly, plays come in before defenses are set, if a qb can't make the proper adjustments at the line , he damn sure better be able to improvise. That's all qbs

Dre11

Reaction score
Is Broaddus comparing 39-year-old Brees to 25-year-old Prescott?

Because Brees at 25 was not doing what Brees at 39 does now.

He wasn't comparing either, and why does everything have to be a comparison, He asked Payton about playcalling and Payton told him about Brees. A qb should be able to make adjustments by year 2 and definitely by year 3.

Dre11

Reaction score
Boaddus has been apologizing for Dak since the Atl game. Its the reason I no longer listen to him on the issue.

No he doesn't, he was critical as well as complimentary, it's called being fair.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
"Knowledge-wise, I think I'm the smartest quarterback that came in this class," Prescott recently told USA Today (h/t PFT). "I would love to go on the board and go head to head with anybody else. That's how I feel. That's how confident I am."

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/ww...hes-the-smartest-qb-in-this-rookie-class/amp/

LOL!

would you rather he say he was the dumbest?

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
He wasn't comparing either, and why does everything have to be a comparison, He asked Payton about playcalling and Payton told him about Brees. A qb should be able to make adjustments by year 2 and definitely by year 3.

So what's the point of bringing them both up then? Brees at 25 was coming off an 11 TD/15 INT season. We have absolutely no way of knowing how much leeway Dak is or isn't given by this coaching staff at the line.

Dre11

Reaction score
So what's the point of bringing them both up then? Brees at 25 was coming off an 11 TD/15 INT season. We have absolutely no way of knowing how much leeway Dak is or isn't given by this coaching staff at the line.

Can you read, he brought him up to explain what a qb does once a playcall is sent in. He brought up Brees because he is his qb. What don't you understand...lol

lopey

Reaction score
We are entering a scary time for this franchise.

Like the head coach, where he's never bad enough to get fired but like not good enough to ever win anything of note, we may have a QB that will never evolve into a great QB but may be just good enough to convince Jerry and Stephen we can't cut bait with him.
My worry is we give up on Dak he goes to a team with real coaching and he becomes a star. I want to see Dak with coaches that can scheme better before I am willing to cut bait.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Can you read, he brought him up to explain what a qb does once a playcall is sent in. He brought up Brees because he is his qb. What don't you understand...lol

I understand perfectly. I think you're the one who is having trouble here. Broaddus is clearly comparing Dak to Brees/Romo with his comments about manipulating defenses, and how Payton would "love to coach a QB like Dak who doesn't change the play" but it's completely not taking into account that neither Brees nor Romo were doing those things at the beginning of their careers. Whether directly or indirectly, Broaddus is trying to draw a parallel between Dak today against Romo and Brees at the height of their careers.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'd agree that Dak's issue is with being able to change calls at the line. And I don't think comparing him to Brees in that regard is all that helpful. Brees is, what, 40, and setting all-time records.

Seems to me that Dak's probably is that his accuracy goes to pot when he gets pressure off the edge and we're not doing a good enough job protecting him. Couple that with his (really good) natural tendency to take care of the ball and you get a guy who won't pull the trigger in a lot of situations coupled with a lot of situations where he's now throwing with poor mechanics and accuracy because he's under duress.

When we protected him right, he's a great QB for this offense because he takes care of the ball, protects leads, and can move the chains with his legs. He can make some great throws when his feet are right that can win close games. He's a great leader and a great team guy.

When you don't protect him, though, and when you're getting 2.6 yards/rush in your running game, he's not going to take chances, and he's going to kill drives with poor throws under pressure on 3rd downs.

It's a tough situation to be in. They need to protect him better, and they need to let him run the ball a little bit more.

All QBs get pressure off the edge at some point during a game. Maybe we need a QB whose accuracy does not go to pot when they get the pressure. A QB who will stand tall, make the pass and take the hit when needed.

khiladi

Reaction score
Why do people think a HC is going to openly bash a QB when asked directly about him? You think Sean Payton is ever going to start Dak? People look for even the faintest glimmer of hope that they become delusional.

And of course Payton is going to give a lot of credit to Drew Brees, his starting QB.

khiladi

Reaction score
Dak has problems in PRACTICE, where QBs don’t even have to process fast. The excuse was that when it’s game-time he performs. Being able to process quickly is something that QBs already show this far along in the game.

Damn fellas, how many times does this need to be repeated?

Dak can’t process going back to his college days. It’s in his pre-draft profile. It’s the same exact thing and he continually takes the check-down even when he’s staring at Rico Gathers in the left slot wide-open down the field.

Dre11

Reaction score
I understand perfectly. I think you're the one who is having trouble here. Broaddus is clearly comparing Dak to Brees/Romo with his comments about manipulating defenses, and how Payton would "love to coach a QB like Dak who doesn't change the play" but it's completely not taking into account that neither Brees nor Romo were doing those things at the beginning of their careers. Whether directly or indirectly, Broaddus is trying to draw a parallel between Dak today against Romo and Brees at the height of their careers.

Lol...he was not, using Brees and Romo as example isn't a comparison. Your comprehension on what was being discussed is off. He never once said Dak needs to be as good as Romo or Brees manipulating defenses.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
He said 1st and 2nd down were designed by the coaches to get chunk yards, but 3rd down was his. After his pre snap read, he knew exactly where the ball was going and if was just a matter of execution. If the execution broke down he would improvise but options were always available.

And this, boys and girls, is why we are awful on 3rd downs. Prescott simply cannot process it at the level that is required and our coaches cannot recognize that.