Broaddus on Radio interview

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not sure I'd agree that Dak's issue is with being able to change calls at the line. And I don't think comparing him to Brees in that regard is all that helpful. Brees is, what, 40, and setting all-time records.

Seems to me that Dak's probably is that his accuracy goes to pot when he gets pressure off the edge and we're not doing a good enough job protecting him. Couple that with his (really good) natural tendency to take care of the ball and you get a guy who won't pull the trigger in a lot of situations coupled with a lot of situations where he's now throwing with poor mechanics and accuracy because he's under duress.

When we protected him right, he's a great QB for this offense because he takes care of the ball, protects leads, and can move the chains with his legs. He can make some great throws when his feet are right that can win close games. He's a great leader and a great team guy.

When you don't protect him, though, and when you're getting 2.6 yards/rush in your running game, he's not going to take chances, and he's going to kill drives with poor throws under pressure on 3rd downs.

It's a tough situation to be in. They need to protect him better, and they need to let him run the ball a little bit more.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it shows why the good QB's can play into their 30's/early 40's if they can stay healthy.
There is so much to learn, read, anticipate etc.
Dak in year 3 may not simply not played enough in the NFL to overcome the playbook and see the field/defense as Romo did.
Or he may never get to that level, sadly a lot don't and they are causalities of Not For Long.

I think you're absolutely right. But the fact is that things are getting worse with this combination, not better. And Garrett has had 8 years to show what he can and can't do. You know what he is and what he isn't at this point. Unless you have blinders on.

Dak on the other hand has only been here for a little over two years, he might still be salvageable, but I'd leave that up to the new regime to decide. The current one has proven that they can't fix him or anything else.

Reaction score
I think you're absolutely right. But the fact is that things are getting worse with this combination, not better. And Garrett has had 8 years to show what he can and can't do. You know what he is and what he isn't at this point. Unless you have blinders on.

Dak on the other hand has only been here for a little over two years, he might still be salvageable, but I'd leave that up to the new regime to decide. The current one has proven that they can't fix him or anything else.
Jason Garrett has never developed a QB in his life. It's pretty clear by now that he can't do it.

Dak may be salvageable. He may not. But you need to bring in an offensive mind with 21 century thinking and let him decide if Dak can be saved. Sounds like Jerry has already made up his mind about that. Hopefully he is saying it just to sell jerseys and doesn't really mean it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jason Garrett has never developed a QB in his life. It's pretty clear by now that he can't do it.

Dak may be salvageable. He may not. But you need to bring in an offensive mind with 21 century thinking and let him decide if Dak can be saved. Sounds like Jerry has already made up his mind about that. Hopefully he is saying it just to sell jerseys and doesn't really mean it.

Exactly right. Remember all the fans around here ripping on what a "bust" Jared Goff was two years ago and how happy they were that "we didn't make that mistake"? Funny, I don't see many of those comments anymore.

Fact is that coaching does matter, whether those wanting to make excuses for Garrett care to admit it or not.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Wait one minute.

Are you guys saying that Dak can't read defenses as well as seasoned veterans like Tony Romo and Drew Brees?

That is alarming.

Considering the Holy (crap) Trinity of coaching he has in Garrett, Linehan, and Kellen Moore, this is shocking news.
giphy.gif

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Dak's a smart guy.

He knows elite QB's don't go on such average to below average stretches for a long period of time.

And because he knows this maybe he wants to cry out for better coaching. Dak knows what he can do with a Payton or BB in his ear. Even a great QB coach goes a long way.

But dak would never in a million years Express his displeasure or disrespect Garrett or linehan. Dak is just taking it on the chin and hoping for the best.

There is no way in hell he feels anything positive about garrett.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
He hit on a couple things that explains a lot even a conversation with Sean Payton.
He said Dak have problems manipulating defenses, this is off Hurns talking about the 2man coverage, that Dak has the authority to change the dynamic of the play. His conversation with Payton, he asked him about Brees , Payton say he calls a play and Brees makes his plays better or changing it all together based on what the defense checks to. But Payton said he would love to have a qb like Dak who rarely changes the play. But that can be an issue. Broaddus also said that is what Romo was great at, manipulating defenses, like Brady,Rogers,Brees.
Just a few things to chew on when criticizing the offense. I want to make clear that he's not a hater of Dak, says he's a decent qb,just not elite. Which is fine. He just needs to keep working on his flaws.

Also below is a good discussion on Dallascowboys.com

https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/talkin-cowboys-backing-dak
Am I going to listen to a guy (Broaddus) that's never played an NFL down, let alone QB about whether Dak can change the play? Or, am I going to listen to a guy (Hurns) who's in the foxhole with the QB that says Daks hands are tied about changing the play? Ummm...I going to listen to the man who's in the huddle and at the line of scrimmage. Ijs. Time to change out these coaches FIRST.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
I'm not sure I'd agree that Dak's issue is with being able to change calls at the line. And I don't think comparing him to Brees in that regard is all that helpful. Brees is, what, 40, and setting all-time records.

Seems to me that Dak's probably is that his accuracy goes to pot when he gets pressure off the edge and we're not doing a good enough job protecting him. Couple that with his (really good) natural tendency to take care of the ball and you get a guy who won't pull the trigger in a lot of situations coupled with a lot of situations where he's now throwing with poor mechanics and accuracy because he's under duress.

When we protected him right, he's a great QB for this offense because he takes care of the ball, protects leads, and can move the chains with his legs. He can make some great throws when his feet are right that can win close games. He's a great leader and a great team guy.

When you don't protect him, though, and when you're getting 2.6 yards/rush in your running game, he's not going to take chances, and he's going to kill drives with poor throws under pressure on 3rd downs.

It's a tough situation to be in. They need to protect him better, and they need to let him run the ball a little bit more.

I agree with some of what you say. The protection has to be better, but Dak needs to be more decisive when it breaks down. Tuck it and run or see that your receiver will come open and throw to that spot. He can't wait to see a receiver come clean. When he's a running threat, that softens the defense and makes them have to account for him as a dual threat. His hesitancy to run is making it easy on the defense.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with some of what you say. The protection has to be better, but Dak needs to be more decisive when it breaks down. Tuck it and run or see that your receiver will come open and throw to that spot. He can't wait to see a receiver come clean. When he's a running threat, that softens the defense and makes them have to account for him as a dual threat. His hesitancy to run is making it easy on the defense.

Tony did a great job of not taking risks early in games, but he’d get more aggressive when he had to as we got down to our last couple of possessions in close games. That got him a reputation for choking from some, but really he adjusted his risk tolerance based on the game situation.

Dak needs a little bit more of that mindset. And he needs to work on getting his feet right more of the time. Pressure or no.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
He might be.

Bill Belichick is better then Jared Goff knowledge wise.

Dak just can't process defenses at a high level.

He has to see it, see it again, then finally throw it.

I don't think Dak is dumb.

I do think he doesn't process quickly on the field. The net result is he's not getting it done.

There is a bottom line in sports.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Broaduss is off base if he thinks that two man comment was about Dak manipulating coverages. Hurns point is if the defense is in two man and every damn receiver runs a curl, then the CBs will just sit on the route because they have safety help. It was a terrible offensive call, Dak isn't going to "look off" anyone in that situation.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I don't think Dak is dumb.

I do think he doesn't process quickly on the field. The net result is he's not getting it done.

There is a bottom line in sports.

I think he processes fine. I just think he is SUPER conservative as a passer. He hates risk. It's why he doesn't throw the out to an open Beasley, because that's the type of pass where if you don't throw it on a line, a DB can pick it and take it home.

That works fine with a lead, but pretty tough to win if you don't trust yourself.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
He might be.

Bill Belichick is better then Jared Goff knowledge wise.

Dak just can't process defenses at a high level.

He has to see it, see it again, then finally throw it.
Which for a 4th Rd pick is natural

He has to learn and let his talent deal with it.

The only reason guys like Staubach could step right in and succeed was becuz he was 4 years older from the military and already was mentally tough.

And his scrambling allowed him to change plays and win.

This is DAKs 3rd season.

It will come.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he processes fine. I just think he is SUPER conservative as a passer. He hates risk. It's why he doesn't throw the out to an open Beasley, because that's the type of pass where if you don't throw it on a line, a DB can pick it and take it home.

That works fine with a lead, but pretty tough to win if you don't trust yourself.

I think it's both.

Take a look at him and count how many times he actually drops back and throws, at the end of his drop, when the play design calls for it. Better odds of seeing Bigfoot or a UFO.

Parcells would be beating this guy with a club, or better yet throwing him off of the field and looking for the next guy. But make no mistake, any coach worth anything wouldn't be allowing this stuff to go on for weeks, months, and now years. You just can't run a passing game this way. It's basic stuff and this team can't figure out a way to do it.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

Good point.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
Alot of you are comparing 10 year vet 2014 Romo to 3rd year vet 2018 Dak. You need to give him time, but his play has to also improve. He can't be given leeway forever

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Nothing new here -- Dak isn't fully prepared to adjust to what opposing defenses present. Hence, his hesitation in delivering his passes on time. He's unsure as to what to expect from them. Maybe he'll improve upon that well-known flaw with more experience, although it remains to be seen.

Let's see what he's able to do in terms of improving upon his recognition of the opposition's defenses in the games to come. I'm willing to wait for signs of improvement, especially so, considering there's more than likely little to offer from our backups at this juncture. They both failed miserably to impress in the preseason games. Both are green as grass and highly unlikely to improve significantly just yet. It's no overnight proposition by any means. Patience.

Last edited:

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Well he needs to get over it because standing there with the bat on his shoulder isn't going to win the game.